Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Pulley damage causes belt to fall off: INDICA

Hi,
Was returning back from a party last nite at the KSCA.When i reached the cubbon road turn a sound came and then the battery icon appeared.i slowed dow the vehicle and then noticed the steering was tooo tight to turn..Saw a cop on the road and thgt of asking him for the nerarest garage and then noticed am not able to press the brake.Had a really scary feeling,bt luckily used the hand brake and stopped the car.The Manipal Motors guy came to tow the car and then told me that the belt had come off and also that i had rammed some place under the bonnet and that some pulley was damaged and needs to be replaced.My car is now at their garage.
My only worry now is what if all this happened on a highway at high speeds?.Iam quite nervous abt driving at high speeds now.
Old 8th April 2007, 12:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

If your undercarriage hits, the belt can come off. Nothing to do with high speeds. Did you see the undercarriage for any damage?
The belt comes off only in rare cases
1. Belt snapping due to bearing jam
2. Very loose belt, but there are lot of warning signs such as screeching sounds
3. Impact on undercarriage.

If the belt comes off you will lose Alternator, Power Steering, Brakes and AC.
Old 8th April 2007, 12:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

brakes, how do u loose them completely? servo will not work but pedal should work even if its hard right?
Old 8th April 2007, 12:34   #4
BHPian

very well diagnosed by tsk.....
Old 8th April 2007, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah the brakes will work. But the effort required will be a lot more.

Drifter
Old 8th April 2007, 14:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

The effort is actually very very much, to the extent that the brakes are not really usable unless you drive very slowly.
Hydraulic brakes have this issue, and the heavier the vehicle the more pronounced it is.
In case of fluid loss you still have some pressure in the system, but in case of belt snap your whole servo mechanism stops working!
Old 8th April 2007, 14:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

you will get one to three pedal chance to brake and not a complete brake failure if servo fails.. and yes will be very hard but will stop (have tried it and dont advice it also) but in emergency can be used but be ready for a surprise from the usual crisp feel
Old 8th April 2007, 15:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If your undercarriage hits, the belt can come off. Nothing to do with high speeds. Did you see the undercarriage for any damage?
The belt comes off only in rare cases
1. Belt snapping due to bearing jam
2. Very loose belt, but there are lot of warning signs such as screeching sounds
3. Impact on undercarriage.

If the belt comes off you will lose Alternator, Power Steering, Brakes and AC.
i was shown some leakage of oil from undercarriage...bt we could hit some big pothole even at a high speed,so is this risk there even then?
Old 8th April 2007, 15:52   #9
BHPian

Werfish, sounds scary, good to know all is safe. What was the exact reason diagnosed as by the workshop?

-POGU
Old 8th April 2007, 15:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
i was shown some leakage of oil from undercarriage...bt we could hit some big pothole even at a high speed,so is this risk there even then?
If you hit your undercarriage anything can go wrong, esp at high speed, not much you can do about it. Indica has a real real flimsy sump guard.
Old 8th April 2007, 18:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
Werfish, sounds scary, good to know all is safe. What was the exact reason diagnosed as by the workshop?

-POGU
The workshop guys have told that the underpart was damaged by something and it has cut the belt and damaged the pulley.
Old 8th April 2007, 18:14   #12
BANNED

hey!! guys same case with my indigo brakes got hard,powr steering stopped working, ac belt snapped out , happend a week ago. the service guys at manipal told me that the powes steering shaft was broken. got the vehicle fixed under warrenty. things fixed are:-1. POLY VEE BELT 5 GROOVE, 2. REMOVE AND INSTALL STEERING PUMP, 3. ALTERNATOR BELT REPLACED.
Old 8th April 2007, 19:35   #13
BHPian

Same problem with Ford Taurus

I had a similar problem on my ford taurus in the US 3 yrs back. I felt the steering become hard and the brakes just stopped working. I just could not turn the steering (it was a 3.8 liter V6). Managed to slow down shifting to 2nd gear and then 1st and finally into the Parking gear (It was automatic transmission). Fortunately had a fair strech of road to do all that.

The belt was cut. However, I am positively sure that there was no damage to the under body. I used to get a slight sound of the belt slipping while starting in the morning and then used to disappear. The belt was old and coupled with the cold weather (was in winter), may be the belt snapped!
Old 8th April 2007, 19:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow!
What a coincidence.
Dont tell me this happened to both of U on the same road.
Old 8th April 2007, 20:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
hey!! guys same case with my indigo brakes got hard,powr steering stopped working, ac belt snapped out , happend a week ago. the service guys at manipal told me that the powes steering shaft was broken. got the vehicle fixed under warrenty. things fixed are:-1. POLY VEE BELT 5 GROOVE, 2. REMOVE AND INSTALL STEERING PUMP, 3. ALTERNATOR BELT REPLACED.
More scary stuff, is there some problem with INDIGO guys? OR do I say either
1) Too much of bad roads in BGLR
2) Too much of bad quality control from TATAs

-POGU

Most Viewed