Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 17:24   #1

Car service intervals during Covid-19

My Service Center: "This is a call from Mandovi Motors. You've not serviced your car for quite some time now. What happened, Sir? You never missed the prescribed service interval before. Will you give it for service now?"

Me: "I understand, but I haven't driven that much that my car needs a service!"

My SC: "Still, you have to service every 6 months. Know Sir?"

Me: "May be, not if I don't take my car out that much. Let me think and call you back".

I'm sure most fellow BHPians are in very similar situation. When I picked up my 2016 Wagon R, I was driving 45 kms / weekday to work. I had shifted jobs too (well before March), and I took trains to work but the car was at least used well on weekends/holidays. I would not miss my service intervals (at least once in 6 months) due to this, even after the car was out of warranty. From March this year, the car has hardly been taken out. It just shuttles some 4-5 km within the city on weekends after the lockdowns were lifted, sometimes upto double that distance.

I understand the Service Center folks here. They have never been out of business this long and they're trying their best to get business somewhere.

Being a Maruti, that too a Wagon R - the car has been running trouble-free as expected. My bike had starting trouble after being stationed in one place for a month during the rains and I rushed to get it serviced. I don't see that need to get my car serviced now, but I could be wrong.

May I get some advice and thoughts here, on recommended service intervals during COVID times?
skatte is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 09:57   #2
BHPian

re: Car service intervals during Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatte View Post
May I get some advice and thoughts here, on recommended service intervals during COVID times?

Hey,

Good you brought this topic up! I'll tell you what I am going with, this would help other BHPians too, if your car is new and under warranty do not miss your service as this could void your warranty.

If your car is out of warranty stick to the kms interval change or every two years which every is earlier. COVID or no COVID, if you're not driving your car a lot get it serviced once in two years. If you plan on a intra state drive or a road trip, get it serviced before that.

Giving you my example, last I got my V40 serviced was on Jan-19 at 11074kms. Today the kms stands at 15,000 kms and I am planning to get it serviced in Jan-21 because I haven't really driven much! And the Jan-21 service will be its third service ! First was at 6000kms at 1.5 years, second was at 11074 in the third year of ownership.

I have a kia seltos bought this March but because of the lockdown and Work from home, it is still running on the first fuel tank up and just done 600kms, however I will send it for service March-21 as I do not wish to void my warranty.

Last edited by Y@SH : 21st November 2020 at 10:00.
Y@SH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 10:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would not miss my service intervals (at least once in 6 months) due to this, even after the car was out of warranty.
Hope you know service interval for Maruti cars is 1 year/10k kms, whichever comes earlier. Please don't fall for these dealership calls.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 12:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

My service interval is one year or 10,000 kms. I have completed one year from the last service in early November and now started getting calls from India Garage and Sireesh Auto for servicing. Looks like they are trying to get as many customers as they can, to make up for the months lost during lock-down. I may not go for servicing anytime soon unless I plan for a long drive. Hardly driven 2,000 kms from the last service.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
if you're not driving your car a lot get it serviced once in two years.

Giving you my example, last I got my V40 serviced was on Jan-19 at 11074kms. Today the kms stands at 15,000 kms and I am planning to get it serviced in Jan-21 because I haven't really driven much! And the Jan-21 service will be its third service ! First was at 6000kms at 1.5 years, second was at 11074 in the third year of ownership.
Well, that’s one way to ensure that your engine starts burning oil prematurely.

Please don’t mislead other owners with your, in my opinion, wrong advice. The reason I say it’s wrong is because engine oil MUST be changed at least once a year (even if driven less than 500kms in a year). If your running is very high or if you drive under severe conditions, it’s recommended to change your engine oil & filter every 5000kms to preserve the engine health & keep internal engine wear, down to the minimum.

If you use 2 yr old oil, that oil has most likely already lost most of its lubrication properties due to the harsh operating conditions of Indian roads, and will certainly accelerate the wear on your cylinder walls & piston rings due to heat & friction, thanks to the tired oil no longer being capable of doing its job.

You may think it’s no big deal now, but wait till the vehicle reaches 5-7yrs (out of warranty), you’ll notice abnormal oil consumption symptoms & by then, it’ll already be too late.

I realise it’s your car & your choices, however, other owners may not appreciate the seriousness of your advice & it can potentially ruin their engines.

And for the sake of your own sanity (or the sanity of future owners of your vehicle), please change the oil every 12 months.

Oil is cheap, engines cost a fortune.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 21st November 2020 at 12:45.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 13:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have been servicing my car once in 12 months and bike once in six months for a long time now, because of low usage. Stretching beyond this is not advisable. There should be one oil change at the completion of the time frame, even if running is very low.
Gansan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 13:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post

Please don’t mislead other owners with your, in my opinion, wrong advice. The reason I say it’s wrong is because engine oil MUST be changed at least once a year (even if driven less than 500kms in a year).

And for the sake of your own sanity (or the sanity of future owners of your vehicle), please change the oil every 12 months.

I very much agree!. Two years is way too long between oil changes irrespective of kms driven.

You can push for another one or two months beyond the recommended interval (out of warranty cars, of course) if the usage was very low. Beyond that is just playing with lady luck .
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 13:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
he oil every 12 months.

Thanks for your opinions but I hope you realise the complexity and structure of fully synthetic oils. They don't need to replaced that often if you're running is very low. Mineral oils are prone to oxidation not synthetics specially in modern cars with tighter tolerances and more sophisticated engine assemblies, new engines are actually engineered for the friction properties and additive packages of synthetic oil.

Hence as I've said If you cover the recommended kms, change the oil even if its less than a year, but if you don't and your car uses synthetic oil you can stretch it to two years maximum. As I've mentioned above, I used to get it done every 1.5 years but now due to the pandemic, it got delayed.

I have seen cars and trucks doing 15,000 miles without an oil change in the states. Synthetic oils don't degrade as quick as Mineral oils, they also have a higher change interval, hence the higher price and convenience to user.
Oil companies and Automobile companies are hand in hand, its a marketing gimmick and a dirty truth.

My car is already 4 years old, I will surely get back to you in its 7th year of ownership and inform you if there is any problem.
Y@SH is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 18:03   #9
BHPian

I have a 4.5 year old Skoda rapid which was due to be serviced in June 2020. Due to lockdown and me being overseas before lockdown the car was hardly driven for around 1000 kms in total. Hence, I have not got it serviced till now and planning to get it done if I plan any long drive in next couple of months.
My car has synthetic engine oil so I suppose it should last for a few more months with limited kms being driven.
anubshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 20:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Thanks for your opinions but I hope you realise the complexity and structure of fully synthetic oils. They don't need to replaced that often if you're running is very low. Mineral oils are prone to oxidation not synthetics specially in modern cars with tighter tolerances and more sophisticated engine assemblies, new engines are actually engineered for the friction properties and additive packages of synthetic oil.

Hence as I've said If you cover the recommended kms, change the oil even if its less than a year, but if you don't and your car uses synthetic oil you can stretch it to two years maximum. As I've mentioned above, I used to get it done every 1.5 years but now due to the pandemic, it got delayed.
Oh thanks for highlighting this point about fully synthetic oils. We do tend to believe that these retain their effectiveness/viscosity for much longer than mineral oils. Otherwise they would not cost so much more.

Though never tried on cars, have noticed once on my Pulsor that the fully synthetic Shell oil was almost as good as brand new after more than 12 months.
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:42   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car service intervals during Covid-19

Quote:

Stick to the manufacturer recommended service intervals of 1 year. This dealer is lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have completed one year from the last service in early November and now started getting calls from India Garage and Sireesh Auto for servicing.

Hardly driven 2,000 kms from the last service.
Would still recommend a visit once a year at the minimum. Not only because of the points that BHPians have listed above, but having the technicians giving your car & underbody an overall check once / year is a good habit. Just in case something is wrong / loose / faulty. This preventive maintenance can go a long way.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:10   #12
BHPian

The problem I face with authorized service center of dealerships is multiple! I don't mind spending for the necessary repair, but the culture of replace everything is so prevalent.

My car didnt have a single brake fluid change in all of its 6 years visit to dealership based ASC. Air filters where not changed, but was billed for - because it is a task to remove and refit the air filter in petrol figo. At least 9-10 screws after 2-3 bolts and other connections. The other aspects like oil not getting changed, filling with lower quantity of oil, finger marks in roof liner, toxic dashboard polishes etc has made my service experience annoying.

It also takes around a day of my time, my money and lot of discussion(arguments) to get even the basic stuff done properly. On top of it is the attitude of the monopolistic dealership. I had to put ford in connection many a times for even the silliest of the matter.

For a customer it is trust, quality and convenience that is important. I think Toyota wins in this front. When Ford goes blindly after cost(or cost of service), I think the quality and trust factors are largely going for a toss.

All this and the pandemic has forced me to service my car myself. I have my own oil drain motor, a set of basic tools and finally if I screw up - speed dial of a neighbor hood mechanic.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
COVID or no COVID, stick to once a year/10000 km - whichever is earlier unless you're having serious problems.

As suggested by others, do go in once a year and get the oil changed and the regular service done even if you drive only 3000 km during the period. Mechanics can quickly spot something amiss and save you future headaches by doing preventive maintenance. A stitch in time saves nine.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:59   #14
BHPian

Great thread. I did the oil change on my innova at home a couple of months ago. Stuggled to get the oil filter out as the guys in the service center had torqued this to the hilt. I had to get a oil pan washer from the dealer. The car is normally serviced in Chennai and I was in Bangalore during this period. The nearby Nandi Toyota sold this at around 58 rupees or so. The oil was syn oil and I got OE spare oil filter also. For those wanting to do this on their own, the Bangalore Motor Owners Consumer Co-op society sells the oils and the filters. Previously, I took out the wheels and checked the front and rear brakes also. Straightforward if you have the right tools. The big plus was that I had the satisfaction of having done this with genuine stuff. Of late, I've been hearing of unwanted extras being pushed on the customers by the service centres.
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:05   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
My car didnt have a single brake fluid change in all of its 6 years visit to dealership based ASC.
That is way too long. That might be causing problems, so you better get it changed!

On the service intervals: Lets get one myth out of the way: Synhetic oil does not degrade over time. Certainly not within a year!

Semi and mineral does, but even then a year is nothing! There are a few other reasons though. Moisture! Cars that rake up very little mileage tend to be used, obviously, very little, but very often you will find that the usage is also for very short distances. With the engine nor the oil not warming up properly you will find more moisture content in the engine oil. If the engine is ran for a good amount of time, the moisture, to some extend will evaporate.

In the distant past, when fuels had more sulphur in them, this was a real problem. Sulphur and moisture (i.e. water) don’t make for a happy combination.

Depending on the weather conditions, you might even get some natural condensation inside the engine too.

Brake fluid needs changing every 2-3 years too. It is time limited due to its hygroscopic properties. So if your brake fluid was 2 years old when you went into lock down, it really needs changing out too!

As pointed out by GTO and others, it is a good idea to get your car serviced once a year. A service (should be) is more than just an oil and filter change. So the idea to check out a car and an engine once a year, a change the oil and oil filter is not a bad idea.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks