Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should you fix the minor dents and scratches on your car at the time of selling it?
Yes 152 57.58%
No 112 42.42%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 00:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Should you fix up your car's dents & scratches before selling it?

IMHO, minor scratches are inevitable with India’s driving and parking style.

If someone has absolutely zero scratches in three months of car ownership, that deserves a

Fixing visible defects on body is crucial. Not only they look ugly but they turn out to be point where rust/corrosion can start.

I have often seen people preferring original paint. This is especially true for darker or unique shades where colours mismatch may occur.
On the flip side, buyers tend to appreciate a paint fix from dealerships or reputed garages.

Being honest about event and fix gives satisfaction not only on car’s current health but also speaks about its history of being kept well.

Any owner would keep car clean. Any bhpian and car enthusiast cares for ride enough that they can sell in same condition.

Last edited by procrastinator : 28th November 2020 at 00:40.
Old 29th November 2020, 15:18   #47
BHPian

Voted NO!

I would prefer to hand over the car after an oil and filter service that's all.

Afterall the buyer is aware of all the scratches and dents at the time of inspection, and normally I point out all the defects to the buyer to make sure that he hasn't missed any such defects of the car and then fix a price.

Only case in which I would do these things before handing over the car is when it's agreed before sale with the condition " I will sell you this car for a price of XXXX after getting all these things repaired and sorted out. "

Some buyers even doubt the car as an " Accident Car " if any portion is particularly repainted!

Last edited by kamilharis : 29th November 2020 at 15:20.
Old 11th December 2020, 18:05   #48
BANNED

I think that you could repair the dents and scratches on your car as:-

1.Increases the value of your car-

If you have a large dent in your car, it can affect the condition of your car, which ultimately can lower the value of your car. In some cases, repairing the dent can actually increase the value of the car, helping you to get more money for it.

2.It Could help your car sell faster-

The other advantage to repairing dents or scratches prior to selling a car is that it can help you sell your car faster. Buyers may be a bit cautious about buying a car with a large dent on it, they don't know what caused the dent and if there is any hidden damage behind or near the dented area. Also, the car may simply not appeal to them because of the way it would look. You can remove these worries when you repair the car prior to selling it.
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

I would rather let minor dents and scratches be as they are.

If I were looking for a used car and see one which has been worked on to make it look as new as possible, I would have doubts whether any details regarding known issues or accident history is being hidden.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks