Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 15:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna - Poor build / part quality

I own a Petrol Fluidic Verna, just completed 49,000kms.

Hyundai build (part) quality has been disappointing. I have already replaced the following :

1. Clutch plate & cylinders (twice - 25k kms and again at 45k kms)
2. AC Coil (few months ago)
3. Electric Power steering motor replacement (47k kms)
4. Steering column major repairs (49k kms)
5. Suspension link rods/bushes replacement (49k kms)

The car is always self driven (80% in the city).

Are any of you facing similar issues with Hyundai? Wonder if Toyota/Honda/VW sedans etc are any better.

My father's Innova had clutch issues at 85k kms for example. Surely Hyundai should be so poor?
Hatari is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 15:49   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Verna - Poor build / part quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post

Hyundai build (part) quality has been disappointing. I have already replaced the following...

...Surely Hyundai should be so poor?

Hello Hatari

Well I don't agree with the statement with quality issue related to Hyundai , as I own a Hyundai fluidic verna running a remapped ECU ( extreme tuned from tune-o-tronics ). My clutch plates got replaced at around 65000 km and I got my car remapped at 11k Kms ODO, also flywheel is stock.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2020 at 19:52. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Safari_Beast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai build (part) quality has been disappointing. I have already replaced the following...

...Are any of you facing similar issues with Hyundai? Wonder if Toyota/Honda/VW sedans etc are any better.

My father's Innova had clutch issues at 85k kms for example. Surely Hyundai should be so poor?
Wow! That is a lot of repairs for a 49k ran C segment sedan belonging to a manufacturer that is so appraised for high quality.

Can't say about the Toyota or the VW sedans but our 4th gen 2014 City V is at 68 or 69k kms (don't remember exactly) despite seeing a lot of rough usage in sub-urban areas, there has been no such repairs apart from regular maintenance. And, I know many City and Amaze owners who are very happy with the reliability of Honda Cars.
As far as Toyota is concerned, am pretty sure that with their track record the Yaris should be at par with the City.

Ventos and Polos have been plagued with ABS sensor issues and other reliability concerns, you can search around in the forum.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2020 at 19:54. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Candy$Cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:58   #4
BHPian

Did you get your car serviced by the Hyundai ASS? They are known to be somewhat scammy. You can read numerous reports about them on this forum itself.

Please get an independent garage diagnosis before replacing anything else, if you haven't already.

Experience- Xcent, 1 lakh +, original clutch and suspension, no modifications whatsoever. Hyundai will easily make a 50k bill if I visit them. Normal garage charges less than 5k. Never visit a Hyundai garage unless you really need some tool or software they use to diagnose which is not available outside. Most of them depend on giving the customer a fancy coffee and charging him or her a fancy premium which might be totally unnecessary. Also, never be docile with the service advisor if the bill is inflated. They often replace components to meet their targets.

Edit- it is Kolkata and my experience suggests that independent garages are far better than authorized ones. When I had a Nano I saw a lady being given a 19+ k bill in 2012...imagine her surprise. For Maruti also, most of their garages are scammers. Many good mechanics around, they'll not scam you and will even provide roadside assistance at a nominal cost.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 25th November 2020 at 22:02.
Cessna182 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 13:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Did you get your car serviced by the Hyundai ASS? They are known to be somewhat scammy. You can read numerous reports about them on this forum itself.

Please get an independent garage diagnosis before replacing anything else, if you haven't already.

Experience- Xcent, 1 lakh +, original clutch and suspension, no modifications whatsoever. Hyundai will easily make a 50k bill if I visit them. Normal garage charges less than 5k. Never visit a Hyundai garage unless you really need some tool or software they use to diagnose which is not available outside. Most of them depend on giving the customer a fancy coffee and charging him or her a fancy premium which might be totally unnecessary. Also, never be docile with the service advisor if the bill is inflated. They often replace components to meet their targets.

Edit- it is Kolkata and my experience suggests that independent garages are far better than authorized ones. When I had a Nano I saw a lady being given a 19+ k bill in 2012...imagine her surprise. For Maruti also, most of their garages are scammers. Many good mechanics around, they'll not scam you and will even provide roadside assistance at a nominal cost.
Yes, have only been sending it to the Hyundai ASS and got aggressive with them when needed, especially when they could not figure out the clutch slipping while accelerating, guessing what it could be to give me a fat bill.

The issues were very apparent though :

- The clutch had started to slip and I could not accelerate normally.
- Suspension was rattling away at each minor bump in the road.
- The power steering was becoming very hard while turning.
- The steering column would rattle annoyingly at each bump and there would be a 'play' while being firmly fixed in place. (I almost lost it at the inital quote and they agreed to lower it by Rs 5000 for repair work.)
- The AC too was checked by a local mechanic and confirmed it would need a coil replacement.

I had spoken to a few Verna owners and they had mentioned the first part to go would be the clutch. The list now though is far too long.

Going forward I am going to avoid the ASS, quite fed up with this 'instant part replace' culture rather than attempt to repair.
Hatari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Four of your major issues are common across Hyundai cars. Have documented multiple examples of the same in the thread-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wear and tear off components like clutch, breaks, suspension etc usually depends on the driving style of the user and conditions combined.

Regarding clutch:
1) Is the car shared with a driver? If so, do you have any information on how he drives the car alone?
2) Do you or anyone else using the car, start the car from rest in 2nd gear?
3) Do you drive in the highest gear possible all the time with the engine RPM going below idle RPM?

Regarding Suspension and probably steering.
4) How bad is the road in your area? At what speeds do you drive in them?

Generally,
5) Have you taken second opinion from any other Hyundai service centre?
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Wear and tear off components like clutch, breaks, suspension etc usually depends on the driving style of the user and conditions combined.

Regarding clutch:
1) Is the car shared with a driver? If so, do you have any information on how he drives the car alone?
2) Do you or anyone else using the car, start the car from rest in 2nd gear?
3) Do you drive in the highest gear possible all the time with the engine RPM going below idle RPM?

Regarding Suspension and probably steering.
4) How bad is the road in your area? At what speeds do you drive in them?

Generally,
5) Have you taken second opinion from any other Hyundai service centre?
1. No driver, only me.
2. Never.
3. No, never come close to 'knocking'.
4. Typical city roads, not overly potholed.
5. No

I dont ride the clutch and follow good driving practices. Never redlined the engine, max 4k RPM.

Nowadays, with strict speed limit enforcements, driving fast/accelerating hard out of the question.
Old 26th November 2020, 15:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai build (part) quality has been disappointing. I have already replaced the following :

Are any of you facing similar issues with Hyundai? Wonder if Toyota/Honda/VW sedans etc are any better.

I have faced Clutch Issues twice once at 35,000 Kms and now at 83,000 Kms in My Diesel Fludic Verna in 85,000 Kms running. In all my other cars such as Honda City, Ford Fiesta, Celerio etc. I have never had to replace the clutch before 60,000 Kms. It definitely seems to be a Verna Issue.
AyushB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:

I used to own a 2010 i20 and let me tell you, I've had the same issues and a few more.
1. Entire Gearbox, Clutch and Flywheel changed at 30k kms.
2. Fuel lid refused to open from day 1,got it replaced under warranty.
3. Broken Shock Absorber at 40k kms.
4. AC stopped working at 50k kms
5. Airbag light at 50k kms
6. Clutch changed at 80k kms

A lot of minor niggles as well. Hyundai ASC were ready to rip off. Don’t understand why TBHP reviews state that Hyundais are fuss free to own.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:25   #11
PSG

Re: Hyundai Verna - Poor build / part quality

Quote:

I owned Fluidic Verna from Nov 2014 to Jan 2020 ( Oct 2012 Manufactured). I bought it used with 43K on ODO , sold with 82K on ODO. Here is my experience :

1. Clutch was super HARD , used to cause a knee pain in long drives and in traffic. HASS advised to change it in every service visit , I never changed it.
2. Steering column used to make "Tak-Tak" sound when turned to extreme right. HASS replaced it free of cost under warranty in third year.
3. AC evaporator coil went bad in Jul 2018 . Spent 7500 to get it replaced outside HASS.
4. Few front suspension parts changed in Dec 2019( 81K on ODO ) before going on a 1200KM drive as it was too noisy even over plain roads .
5. A typical "Karrrr" type of noise while going over even a smallest bump ( Somewhere in 2016). I was scared to show it to HASS with a fear of inflated estimate. I got it rectified by Deva Bhai from Chembur , Mumbai. He said something was loose which he welded - I did not ask any technical details)
6. Airbag sign was ON for almost 6 months ( ODO approx. 80K). HASS provided an error code after scanning and mentioned that probably the clock spring is gone , but did not assure that problem will be rectified by replacing it. They advised to change entire module. I decided to take a chance and got clock spring replaced outside ( Total damage INR 2400) .It worked and warning sign disappeared.

So overall there were niggles , but most appeared post 60K ( Except that Steering noise issue)
PSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:26   #12
BHPian

Looks like these issues are common in all Hyundai cars.
I had a grand i10, which had following issues...
1. Clutch went super hard after 25k, I used to get terrible knee pain after driving in traffic.
2. Ac went kaput one fine morning, had to replace the condenser.
3. Brake pedal was super sensitive with no progressive feel.

Finally sold the car and bought a honda city, touchwood, no issues faced so far.
Old 6th December 2020, 10:29   #13
BHPian

Although hyundai builds engines and interiors very well, I will go out on a limb and say that they haven't been able to build other mechanicals to be as reliable.

I have a 2010 i10 and I had issues with the steering rattle right from 10K kms. Several attempts of fixing from by authorized service centre, I have a vague steering wheel with a lot of play and one that does not return to zero automatically. I have decided to live with it, as its now a beater car and only used for city runs and never sees the highway.

The clutch became hard at 25K and then at 50K kms. I read on other threads here to replace the clutch cable first and that did the trick both times and saved me 25-30k in total. The ASS was very keen to replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel at both occaisions.
Ph03nix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai build (part) quality has been disappointing.

Are any of you facing similar issues with Hyundai?
I don’t agree that Hyundai part quality is disappointing. We have three fluidic Verna’s (CRDI’s) in the extended family. 2 of them have done over 1.5L kms and my personal one has done 2.5L kms (in less than 6 years). All of them are still running on stock clutch and suspension. Even the AC is cooling as it was on day one.

We don’t ever visit an Authorised Service centre cause those guys will just rip you off. One trusted FNG and our cars have been running like a dream.

Our Verna’s have been extremely fuss free and reliable to own and a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by drhoneycake : 6th December 2020 at 10:49.
drhoneycake is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 11:10   #15
BHPian

A lot of issues are common in Verna it seems, I would recommend you to try out a FNG instead of company service centers. One of my friends decided to replace his clutch at the Bosch service center in Bangalore, guess what the price difference from HASS was? Almost 40% to 50% less. Hyundais are known to be costly as they get older, please do try out an independent garage, since Verna has been in the market for sometime.

A good one should have the required skillset to service it. Most of the issues would be minor fault and not require full replacement of the parts.
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks