Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 15:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Car veering to the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterRider 7 View Post
If you have had your wheels aligned recently, there are a few more things to check:-
Appreciate the extensive set of inputs. I was experiencing the very same phenomenon on my New Polo as well. Two days back, I crossed the 700km mark, and the problem has almost come to an end. The car tracks perfectly straight on a level road. I did inspect the suspension, the tyre pressures and the allignment and all of these elements were spot on.

Giving the car some time fixed the issue entirely, and the driver fatigue of counter holding the wheel to track the car straight has dramatically disappeared from my vehicle.
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 06:58   #47
Sen
BHPian

Thanks for the update.

One thing this experience taught me is that TPMS is an absolute must for any car owner out there. It's simply invaluable in detecting lies (service center saying they swapped the tires when they didn't), knowing tire pressures weren't the culprit, knowing they're properly inflated at all times, how they behave after warming up, the temperatures the tires reach after a long time driving, as well as saving time when filling them up (have a TUSA inflator, not affiliated to them in anyway but really well calibrated air pump!). Generally, preventing low pressures and completely nullifying the mere chance of a tire burst was my motive, but buying the TPMS sensors before I even got the car was a great decision, and paid off its weight (and then some) in gold.

1800 kms in, the issue has vanished completely, no sign of it ever existing whatsoever. My car's at the detailer's now for some PPF+ceramic, but I tested this on all sorts of roads including on a drive to nearby Anchetty and (not my first time, but enjoyable throughout) about 75 kms from Bangalore.

Overall, this "issue" can be called a wrap in my books. Thanks everyone

Last edited by Sen : 18th December 2020 at 07:20.
Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 07:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
One thing this experience taught me is that TPMS is an absolute must for any car owner out there. knowing they're properly inflated at all times, how they behave after warming up, the temperatures the tires reach after a long time driving, Generally, preventing low pressures and completely nullifying the mere chance of a tire burst was my motive, but buying the TPMS sensors before I even got the car was a great decision, and paid off its weight (and then some) in gold.
I second the utility of TPMS and the safety it brings. Tyres on my car shows a jump of 4-5 psi on long highway drives on a very hot day and 3 psi if it's not that warmer a day. It helps me to adjust the psi accordingly at cold conditions. TPMS is something which i've my eye on always on a highway drive. You're not caught unawares with any pressure drop. I feel it should be made mandatory as a safety feature in all cars.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
1800 kms in, the issue has vanished completely, no sign of it ever existing whatsoever.
Overall, this "issue" can be called a wrap in my books. Thanks everyone
Hey! I thought so too, but turns out there is a good chance the Steering Angle Sensor on your car is improperly calibrated. I happened to get mine checked and noticed the same. It was about 3-4 degrees to the left. You can have it calibrated to further improve the situation. I have written about it here (Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic).
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 13:03   #50
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Hey! I thought so too, but turns out there is a good chance the Steering Angle Sensor on your car is improperly calibrated. I happened to get mine checked and noticed the same. It was about 3-4 degrees to the left. You can have it calibrated to further improve the situation. I have written about it here (Review: Driving home our Sunset Red VW Polo Highline+ TSI Automatic).
Thanks for the tip fluidicjoy, next time I'm dropping by the VW service center, I'll get it checked/corrected. Cheers!
Old 10th December 2022, 12:36   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip fluidicjoy, next time I'm dropping by the VW service center, I'll get it checked/corrected. Cheers!
Hi Sen ! Have you tried re-calibrating your Steering Angle Sensor at the VW Service centre ? How has your experience been?
Old 26th December 2022, 14:01   #52
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja030 View Post
Hi Sen ! Have you tried re-calibrating your Steering Angle Sensor at the VW Service centre ? How has your experience been?
Hey Teja030!

Sorry, the problem mostly resolved itself (I do remember seeing a 4° offset in the Steering Angle Sensor 'setting' in VCDS which I didn't change yet) which has resulted in me leaving it alone so that it doesn't break something else
Old 26th December 2022, 17:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Teja030!

Sorry, the problem mostly resolved itself (I do remember seeing a 4° offset in the Steering Angle Sensor 'setting' in VCDS which I didn't change yet) which has resulted in me leaving it alone so that it doesn't break something else
Hi Sen !

SAS Calibration is a straight forward job after connecting the VCDS cable. Usually, as per my understanding, until the calibration is done, the Computer will keep detecting the Steering center to be 4º offset (in your case) . This usually results in unsatisfactory steering feel after a Wheel Alignment. I am sure, nothing else would get disturbed and I can assure you that you would love the drive feel later on. It is a known fact that most Hyundai Vehicles too require SAS calibration after every Wheel Alignment to match the vehicle's new thrust line. In a way, this has become an important step on Hyundai Vehicles after a Wheel Alignment. Please go through this link to know how important 'SAS' calibration is on vehicles equipped with ESC. ( https://www.hunter.com/media-center/...-sensor-reset/ )

The Wheel Alignment and SAS calibration team at VW Factory is absolutely lacklustre as per my personal experience, as well as from talking with friends owning VW/Skoda cars. They probably are very lethargic in doing the job with precision and probably consider WA/SAS Calibration 'not' very important before dispatch of vehicle from factory. I am also flabbergasted as to how they paste a 'Quality Pass' on the windshield without even taking a Final Test Drive of the vehicle before dispatch.
teja030 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 17:42   #54
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja030 View Post
Hi Sen !

Please go through this link to know how important 'SAS' calibration is on vehicles equipped with ESC. ( https://www.hunter.com/media-center/...-sensor-reset/ )
Thank you for the heads up on this! While my vento doesn't have ESC, you've piqued my interest, I'll do it as soon as possible to make sure the calibration is done (especially post the next alignment and balancing).

Cheers!
Old 26th December 2022, 18:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Small update on this issue:

The veering is gradually reducing to the tune where it's not as noticeable anymore, about 1350 kilometres in.

I'll chalk it up to the tire profile or wear erasing factory imperfections in the tires, but I'll keep observing the situation as it develops.
After the supposed 'resolution' of veering left phenomenon, are you still currently having balanced, similar and identical turning/cornering experience or feel at relatively high road speed, between Left turning and Right turning ?

Any emergent uneven wear on front tyres till todate?

Last edited by zeng : 26th December 2022 at 18:52.
Old 28th December 2022, 10:42   #56
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
After the supposed 'resolution' of veering left phenomenon, are you still currently having balanced, similar and identical turning/cornering experience or feel at relatively high road speed, between Left turning and Right turning ?

Any emergent uneven wear on front tyres till todate?
* The steering feel is balanced, and I can barely tell (except on the natural road inclines) that the car is veering in any direction at all. Turns to the left and right feel the same, cornering in both directions feels right (of course, in day to day traffic on the roads, not on a track). High speed driving is as smooth as can be in a highway cruiser like the Vento. Effortless.

* I've gotten the wheels aligned, balanced and rotated at Madhu's Bangalore (famous car wheel balancing and alignment place, hunter equipment) twice since the posts you quoted (and about 6 times overall methinks), and there has been no report of uneven wear or anything of the sort.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Sen : 28th December 2022 at 10:45.
Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 17:24   #57

Hello dear Bhpians,

I'm also going through the same problems with my 2021 model Vento HL+.
I was running 195/55 R16 Goodyear triplemax stock tires. I was not a fan of this tire as it had a lot of noise at triple-digit speeds, there were vibrations and felt jumpy while breaking. The car had a slight pulling to the left problem at this point.

I got a side wall puncture on one tire and fixed it at a tire shop. After a few months, another tire was damaged (thanks to expressway work on the Chennai-Banglore highway) beyond repair and I replaced it.

After many long rides, I started to notice the issue of the car being pulled to the left prominently and it started to become annoying.

I raised this as a concern with VW service during the 2nd year of service, they did wheel alignment & balancing and returned the car. But still, the issue was not resolved.

I thought they might not done the wheel alignment properly or may be due to inconsistency in the tires I have (1 patched, 1 brand new, 2 old ones (2yr old)). With those assumptions, I changed my whole 4 tires to Continental UC6 and did wheel alignment and balancing.

Oh boy, This tire is amazing compared to Goodyear, The tire noise is gone, vibrations are gone. But sadly the car is still pulling to the left & it is noticeable too!
So this is not related to wheel alignment or tires.
Old 25th December 2023, 18:07   #58
BHPian

Your car has wheel alignment problems that causes the pull left phenomenon, before and after simultaneous replacement of 4 tyres.
Mind sharing the latest alignment report details?
Old 5th January 2024, 17:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Your car has wheel alignment problems that causes the pull left phenomenon, before and after simultaneous replacement of 4 tyres.
Mind sharing the latest alignment report details?
Oh! I don't have the reports. They showed me the report in their system and adjusted it too. It was corrected properly. I'm sure it might be some other issue. As mentioned in previous comments, let me wait for some 1500+ km to check if it's going to fix it on its own.
pranav__ram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks