Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2007, 18:21   #16
BHPian

The problem is that when the OEM Bosch gave in after 2 years, I replaced them with Roots in 2003, The Mech, just removed the OEM's and placed the new ones..! Din't get any relay changed..!

Lancer Owners- Where is Horn Relay in SFXi Lancer Located ?

I checked both the Fuse Box, and Main one had Horn Fuse not relay..!

Advise
Old 1st May 2007, 19:04   #17
BHPian

My earlier 1999 Santro Deluxe had developed the identical problem. Somehow changing the fuses helped for a while - and then the horn problem got resolved for a number of months - only to return again - I changed the fuses again - and then by then I had sold the car.

Not sure why - but could it be the fuse?
Old 1st May 2007, 22:04   #18
BHPian

Done that..! No difference..!
Old 1st May 2007, 22:14   #19
BHPian

my car's right switch doesn't work too!!
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Similar Problem in OHC

My OHC has an aftermarket Steering wheel fitted with 2 small buttons for the Horn - these buttons are on the wheel and not on the Hub (My garage has a picture of the wheel) with concealed wires running from the buttons to the Hub. These 2 separate wires meet behind the Hub at a single point.

The problem is that sometimes the Horn works and sometimes it doesn't. Even if I keep the buttons pressed, it blows with intermittent gaps. What is the problem? Could it be a loose connection behind the Hub or a loose connection closer to the actual Horn in the engine bay. Or could it be Carbon deposits?

My steering wheel is about 2-3 months old.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:31   #21
aZa
Senior - BHPian

manveeteh , i'm having this problem with my aftermarket steering wheel too and so did manyu! There is a small plastic ring on the steering hub that has the connection for the horn. This ring is supposed to move along with the steering but sometimes it doesn't and then the connection snaps ... i've glued the ring to the hub with elfy. Now there is no such problem.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:41   #22
BHPian

I had got the steering casing cleaned and adjusted,No difference..!

I'm gonna get the cheese oops carbon cleared of the Horn connectors and replace with New thimbles ! Lets see if it works.
Old 6th November 2009, 11:21   #23
BHPian

New M800 Horn problem

In my 2 month old M800 AC, i am facing issue with the Horn during early morning start. If driven for over 20-30 mins, the horn is back to normal again. I face this issue only during early morning start and no problem thereafter. What could be the possible cause for this problem.
Help

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2009 at 11:43. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 11:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

Horn is slightly out of tune and hence early morning when battery voltage is lil low, its not sounding proper. Am not sure the OE horns have adjustments in M800, so either a replacement or going for after market ones will be the right thing to do.

Maruti OE horns are not very expensive as far as i know.
Old 20th February 2014, 15:30   #25
BHPian

Re: Intermittently Silent Santro Horn

Hi all,
My Santro had the same issue today. Went to a local repair shop today and sorted out the issue, though, I don't know for how long. If the horn is working fine and the steering switches are in good condition, then the issue is due to the circuit getting breaked due to loose connection. If you remove the covers of the steering, just in front of the key slot is a screw through which the contact passes through. Once the screw was tightened, the issue got fixed and she was singing again. Dunno if it works on others cases though.
Old 10th May 2014, 22:05   #26
BHPian

My Santro too have in the last 4-5 weeks started showing same symptoms - intermittently silent horn.

Brief observations of the issue -
1) Horn works fine in the morning - With and without cranking the car. Battery was changed in Jan this year. Battery voltage without cranking is 12.8V and with cranking (+ AC on) is 13.75V. Car always start in first crank itself.
2) No issues with horn at moderate to high speeds.
3) Issue crops up only when car is idle for couple of minutes or is in a bumper to bumper traffic. Horn goes into "vibration only" mode - No sound. As car picks up speeds, sound returns couple of seconds later.
4) Got horn changed twice but still the same issue
5) Auto electrician recommended changing the horn connectors. Still have the same issue even after replacing the connectors. Please note that the car had provision pair of horns from the factory itself.
6) Horn sounds louder if directly connected to battery.

Inputs please.

Thanks.
Old 11th May 2014, 09:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
My Santro too have in the last 4-5 weeks started showing same symptoms - intermittently silent horn.

Inputs please.

Thanks.
I would suspect loose connection too. What you could do is perform a continuity test starting from the horn back to the steering switch. That would help you isolate the problem area.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 18:05   #28
BHPian

On a safer side, I would suggest self returning switch. It comes in handy while in emergency.

I am using this for my extra Horns.
Intermittently Silent Horn-1166906.jpg
Old 12th May 2014, 09:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
My Santro too have in the last 4-5 weeks started showing same symptoms - intermittently silent
Have the earthing/earthing wiring checked once.
Old 12th May 2014, 19:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Have the earthing/earthing wiring checked once.
Not yet. Will get it checked.
One more thing which I forgot to mention in my last post - If car is moving at moderate speeds (50 - 60 km/h) and horn is pressed continuously for 4-5 secs then sound seems to modulate.

Thanks.

Most Viewed