Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 19:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Intermittently Silent Santro Horn

Update: No issues found with earthing wire.

Also, the horn seemed to have a mind of its own and the problem could not be reproduced when I visited the mechanic
Mechanic also ruled out issue with the horn pad, wiring.

With no solution in sight, decided to open the horn pad myself to see if had loose contacts/connectors. No loose connectors found. However, since I had opened it up, decided to clean the contacts as well with emery paper.
Voila, the problem seems to have been solved and have not re-occurred in last 24 hours.

2 Horns and cut OE horn connectors later, problem seems to have been solved.

Thanks.
Old 5th June 2014, 18:42   #32
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Intermittently Silent Santro Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Have the earthing/earthing wiring checked once.
I have been having this 'intermittent' problem with the M800's horn and recently I've found the pattern and steps to reproduce the problem
In slow speeds & idle time horn does not work, once car is moving at about 5-10kmph speed it works.

I've had the mechanic look at the horn during the last service and he said there is absolutely no problem so want to make sure he checks earthing/earthing wire this time.
But wondering how this is done ? Sorry for the noob question!
Old 5th January 2015, 18:27   #33
BHPian

Repeated Horn Misses or a Conk Out

Sharing my Wagon R ownership experience with all of you!

After changing my OE horn set at 10,000 kms, the new pair conked out instead of honking at 30,000 kms. After changing them again, to my surprise the same problem appeared again after 10,000 kms (after service. Once again I was told to change horns but felt that something other than horn blow out was the cause of the trouble as the horns would work sometimes and sometimes not. I was told that the ‘relay is weak.” But didn’t buy this story. Who has heard horns conking out at 10,000 kms, that too of a brand like Hella. Spent 1500 in changing wires etc until the problem was diagnosed to a defective thimble at the horn side.

Imagine! It was just Rs. 5! Tight silver look instead of loose copper look of the older thimble.

So next time you have electrical problems of horn problems check out the thimble connections. A loose thimble should never be tightened with a plier. Just replace it!
syravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 10:24   #34
BHPian

Re: Repeated Horn Misses or a Conk Out

I too have this issue. Mine is a 2006 SX4 ZXi. About an year ago, the stock horn would stop working if driven through rains. Once the rain stops, in the next 10-15mints, the horn would come back to life. When shown to the service center, they told me the speaker diaphragm has a cut/hole/some thing and when it becomes wet, it stops working. Ok, they changed it with another similarnew SX4 horn (just horn alone). Every thing is fine for next one year or so (it was fine throughout the last monsoon). Couple of weeks back, this problem started again. I had to drive through a heavy downpour. Suddenly the horn would not work. Its like some time it will give one second duration horn and then stop. If I switch off the ignition and start it again, the horn might work for couple of times and then again stop. Once the rain stopped, in about 5-10 mints, every thing is back to normal. It was all fine for next 10 days or so, then we took a trip to Kodai. Till we parked the car in the Kodai hotel it was all fine. Reached there at 11AM. Took a break and wanted to go out again by 4PM. Started the car and then, bhoom.. horn does not work. Same pattern. Some times it works, after 2-3 "horn", it will stop. If I stop/start the car, it might work for couple of time. At times it will function for 5 mints and then stop. This drama continued till we started our return journey. 30 mints into the descend, the horn started working perfectly. It was fine for next few days. Couple of days back this issue again surfaced for 5 mints. After that it was all fine.

What could be the reason here? I want to have some explanation before I go to the service center. Their first attempt would be to replace the horn again.

Gurus, Pl help.
psvinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 13:43   #35
BHPian

Re: Repeated Horn Misses or a Conk Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
I too have this issue. Mine is a 2006 SX4 ZXi....Their first attempt would be to replace the horn again.

Gurus, Pl help.

Last few days, the failure rate of my horn had increased a lot. 8 out of 10 times, the horn would not sound, rest of the time it works like a charm. So today I went to the service center. To my surprise, this was a trivial problem for them. According to them, it was just a Horn tuning issue. One screw behind the horn had to be tightened/adjusted. They did that, and the problem seems to be solved now. I have to wait for few days to be sure, though. But since they could show me the working/not working of horn with this adjustment, I believe this was a real solution.

btw, they did not even charged for this service

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th December 2016 at 04:58. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts, it inconveniences our small screen and mobile users. Review posting rules.
Old 13th December 2016, 17:35   #36
BANNED

Nissan Micra: Horn just wont work on cold morning and evening

Hi Team,

I am facing a peculiar issue for last couple of days in my 5 year old Micra petrol.
The horn just wont blow when I cold start in the early morning. But more weird thing is, it suddenly starts working after sometime, more likely when the engine heats off. There is no issue, if I try after late morning or afternoon. Even, parking the car in morning sun for sometime does the tricks, the horn is live again.
Problem starts again, in the late evening. For me, now a days, no horn between 7 PM and 10 AM.

Battery health is perfect and the car just returned from paid service just a month back with no measure issues. There is no starting issue also.

I have never faced horn being impacted due to cold.

Considering there is only one service center in Pune and that is too on the other part of the world, can someone suggest any immediate remedy? Don't feel confident with local garage as they might have to open the horn pad which also houses the airbag unit.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 13th December 2016 at 17:45. Reason: typo correction
Old 13th December 2016, 18:28   #37
BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra: Horn just wont work on cold morning and evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post

I have never faced horn being impacted due to cold.
Most likely its the problem with the horn itself. I have a Micra Active and the horn started developing a mood of its own after 4-5 months. Went to the service centre, they checked and checked, tightened some wires and confirmed all in order.

Ten days later when the problem resurfaced again, went to ASS and after a heated discussion, horn was replaced under warranty.

Since your Micra is 5 years old, I am assuming its out of extended warranty. Your best bet would be to have it checked at your FNG and if found defective, have it replaced there as well.

Last edited by nitishk : 13th December 2016 at 18:29.
nitishk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 19:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
The horn just wont blow when I cold start in the early morning.
Does your car have a single horn or a pair(low tone and hi tone)?

Behind the horn you will find a screw.Just tighten it a quarter of a turn and check.

Long term solution will be to put in a new horn or better still a new set e.g..Bosch symphony , or Roots vibrosonic with a relay kit.

The new set should cost you 1000 bucks all included.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 11:02   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
Since your Micra is 5 years old, I am assuming its out of extended warranty. Your best bet would be to have it checked at your FNG and if found defective, have it replaced there as well.
Yes, could be the horn is on its end of life. Problem is, I am not known to any good FNG as the service center used to be just 5 km away. But now that being closed and the other one is at the end of the world, I am in a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Does your car have a single horn or a pair(low tone and hi tone)?

Behind the horn you will find a screw.Just tighten it a quarter of a turn and check.

Long term solution will be to put in a new horn or better still a new set e.g..Bosch symphony , or Roots vibrosonic with a relay kit.

The new set should cost you 1000 bucks all included.
A single tone horn I guess. I will try your method for a quick fix as I have to do a Pune - Mumbai trip this weekend and I am not sure I have time to fix the horn before that.
If I have to replace the horn, I may stick to the stock meek one.
Old 20th May 2017, 19:54   #40
Ice
BHPian

Fortuner Horn not working

Hi,

So my 2010 Fortuner's horn has stopped working in the straight-ahead position. It happened all of a sudden this morning. The horn works perfectly if I turn the wheel some 15 to 20 degrees in either direction, but ceases to work when the wheel is pointed straight ahead.

Elimination:
1. Horn and all horn-related wiring is intact
2. Fuses for the horn are intact

Any idea what could be wrong?

Confession : I am also known as Sir Honk-a-Lot on the highways, on which the car has spent a disproportionate part of its life.
Old 20th May 2017, 21:54   #41
BHPian

Re: Fortuner Horn not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post

Please change the horns.
I understand that they works sometime but the issue is likely to be in horns rather than connections or wires.

Another cheaper option. Disconnect the horns, use emery paper to clean the carbon deposits on connecting screws and reconnect.

This is from my experince on Swift.
Old 20th May 2017, 22:22   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Confession : I am also known as Sir Honk-a-Lot on the highways, on which the car has spent a disproportionate part of its life.
Well, Sir Honk-A-Lot you have your answer right there.

Just change the horns. The internal contacts/points are worn out. Not to worry though, Toyota's OEM horns are not expensive. You can also use this opportunity to fit loud aftermarket horns like the Hella Red Grills or Bosch Symphony

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th May 2017 at 22:23.
Old 20th May 2017, 23:54   #43
eko
BHPian

Quote:
The horn works perfectly if I turn the wheel some 15 to 20 degrees in either direction, but ceases to work when the wheel is pointed straight.
This is due to loose contact. There is a contact point giving electric power to the rotating steering. This is usually under the steering. This has either got oxidized or lost the springiness. Or it could be loose contact at the horn buttons on the steering.
eko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 01:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

So my 2010 Fortuner's horn has stopped working in the straight-ahead position. It happened all of a sudden this morning. The horn works perfectly if I turn the wheel some 15 to 20 degrees in either direction, but ceases to work when the wheel is pointed straight ahead.

Elimination:
1. Horn and all horn-related wiring is intact
2. Fuses for the horn are intact

Replace the clock-spring which is located under the steering. The clock spring ribbon is broken and is making contact only when the steering is turned in either direction.
Toyota calls this part as spiral cable.
http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/par...0D49A151608B09
interc00led is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 10:27   #45
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
This is due to loose contact. There is a contact point giving electric power to the rotating steering. This is usually under the steering. This has either got oxidized or lost the springiness. Or it could be loose contact at the horn buttons on the steering.

Hi - the problem is most likely behind the steering wheel. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Well, Sir Honk-A-Lot you have your answer right there.

Just change the horns. The internal contacts/points are worn out. Not to worry though, Toyota's OEM horns are not expensive. You can also use this opportunity to fit loud aftermarket horns like the Hella Red Grills or Bosch Symphony

Haha!! Whatever gave you the impression that I'm still on the OEM? I've run through that a while ago and these are Hella Red Grills.
But no, it's doesn't seem to be the horn. The precise times it works and doesn't is dependent on the position of the steering wheel alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Please change the horns.
I understand that they works sometime but the issue is likely to be in horns rather than connections or wires.

Another cheaper option. Disconnect the horns, use emery paper to clean the carbon deposits on connecting screws and reconnect.

This is from my experince on Swift.

Thanks. Will anyway do a round of re-wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Replace the clock-spring which is located under the steering. The clock spring ribbon is broken and is making contact only when the steering is turned in either direction.

Toyota calls this part as spiral cable.

http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/par...0D49A151608B09

Ah! I'll most probably need to do this. There are three parts listed on the link you sent me - hope it's the cheapest one!

I'd do a DIY but I'm worried about the airbag deploying itself

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks