Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 17:00   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Vibrations

Hi All,
I own a 2006 "all new" Scorpio.The vehicle vibrates excessively exactly @ 1800 rpm (esp. in 4th & 5th gear,speeds close to 80 kmph).I can sense this by just looking at RVMs (vehicles behind me look blurred).Once the engine crosses 1800 rpm mark,everything goes back to normal.
I have shown this problem to the dealer a couple of times,but in vain.
Can anyone please throw some light ?

I am also planning to use engine oils from Castrol (Castrol GTX Diesel) instead of Mahindra maximile (it meets the specs laid down by M & M).
Does anyone know of a better alternative ? .The oil needs to exceed API CH4 & should meet SAE 20W-40.

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 16th April 2007, 22:15   #2
BHPian

Probably 1800 RPM is when the turbo spools up?

I have seen this in Hyundai CRDi engines also, although the "vibration" in this case is just really minimal. The whole car does not shake because of this. And the Hyundai service engineer claims that is a design flaw with the clutch which gets triggered when the turbo comes on???

And again, accelerate quickly through the rpm range, like what happens in first, second and third, you wont feel the vibrations a lot. But in 4th and 5th, you linger longer in that trouble rpm range, and you feel it vibrate more. In fact, the funny thing is, unless you tell people that this problem is there, very few notice it. But if you know it already, then you feel/hear it every single time.
Old 16th April 2007, 22:36   #3
jat
BHPian

Just check if vibration is present while in neutral or any gear at same rpm. If it is, you got the mounting problem or engine unbalance. The engine is synchronised with car natural frequency. Otherwise, it is external such shafting, wheels etc.

Edited: If it occurs at same speed in any gear (80 kph) then check the suspension.

Last edited by jat : 16th April 2007 at 22:43.
Old 16th April 2007, 23:20   #4
BHPian

And if that happens only while accelerating in gear, but not while revving the engine in neutral, could be clutch chatter as described here - New testing innovations increase the accuracy and efficiency of torsional vibration analysis

"Clutch chatter occurs when a periodic torque change is generated in a slipping clutch, whose natural frequency range is similar to that of the drivetrain dynamically separated from the clutch. While in most cases the chatter appears as a vibration in the longitudinal direction of the vehicle, passengers sometimes perceive it as interior noise."

Last edited by tadukuttan : 16th April 2007 at 23:22.
Old 16th April 2007, 23:39   #5
BHPian

Hi RB,

It's the gearbox. I have the same problem with my new Scorpio (2 weeks old and done 1000 km). They've screwed up somewhere. And this happens only once you've drive for a while, when the gearbox / oil in it gets hot. I am gonna take this issue up with mahindra directly. Infact you can hear the grinding noise of the gears / vibration, it's like you are in a higher gear at an extremely low rpm.

Did not have this issue with my earlier Scorpio.
Old 17th April 2007, 06:42   #6
BHPian

Scorpio Vibrations

At idling speed,I do not feel the same level of vibrations for sure.One more important point here:After periodic wheel balancing,the vibrations die down considerably.But after around 500 kms,it starts all over again....
The service center team has tried all sorts of fixes (like tightening engine mounting) but it has not shown any results.
Also somehow I have the feeling that the vibrations/noise has the origin under the hood (I can sense a humming noise @ 1800 rpm).

Thanks,
Old 9th December 2008, 16:37   #7

Done 40K on my Scorpio and have started feeling a hell lot of vibration while at idling.
Is it only due to engine unbalance?
Am about to leave it for servicing so wanted to make sure that i can explain them the problem well.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Gun View Post
Done 40K on my Scorpio and have started feeling a hell lot of vibration while at idling.
Is it only due to engine unbalance?
Am about to leave it for servicing so wanted to make sure that i can explain them the problem well.
Possible reasons I can think of could be worn engine mounts or inadequate fuel supply to the engine or clogged injectors and/or clogged air filter.
cheers:

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 9th December 2008 at 22:15.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Been experiencing a lot of vibration too in idle mode. Injectors all cleaned out, filters clean. Never changed the engine foundations, been postponing it for some time, overdue.

A little query of the gearbox oil heating up - been having a small but steady leak of gear box oil from the sump thanks to a gasket that needs to be changed.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A little query of the gearbox oil heating up - been having a small but steady leak of gear box oil from the sump thanks to a gasket that needs to be changed.
I have a query to your query> How do you find out if the gearbox oil is heating up, since there isnt any gauge for the same on the dash ?
Isnt it supposed to heat up in normal running due to all the various rotating components in the gearbox?
Old 10th December 2008, 10:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Probably 1800 RPM is when the turbo spools up?

........................thing is, unless you tell people that this problem is there, very few notice it. But if you know it already, then you feel/hear it every single time.
The turbo is on ALL THE TIME, its a hard turbo.

I think vibrations are a problem with ALL DIESEL CARS under the 15 L bracket, the higher end versions are relatively more smoother. My ORVM also vibrates in 2nd and 3rd slightly, but bearable now. Anyone upgrading from a petrol to the Scorp is likely to feel the vibs more as they are pronounced; some amount of increased noise and vibration is a given, IMO.

Are oher diesels more silent, no vibration at all? Other diesel owners can chip in, that would give us something to compare with.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 10th December 2008 at 10:45.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

It could be a wheel balancing issue if the vibrations are attached with that particular speed, and not with the rpm 1800. My friend's 2006 Scorpy vibrates a lot when cranked, and they persist at low engine rpms. Thats not a wheel balancing issue though.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Similiar problem is seen with both my Scorps. But the vibration is hardly noticeable unless you catch it on the ORVMs.Happens in particlar range of RPM only.
Also, is it that the ORVMs do not have sufficient rubber supports/packing and therefore transfer the vibrations straight to the mirror??
Old 10th December 2008, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

do you feel the vibrations only on the RVMs or on the steering, pedals and gear lever too?
Old 10th December 2008, 11:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Raj, Mine I feel only on the ORVMs, everything else is in the acceptable range only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks