Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 00:58   #31
BHPian

with 5000 k on the corolla u may run the risk of a void warranty if u take the car to toyota. i'm assuming that the warranty is still valid

cheers
Old 6th June 2007, 00:59   #32
BHPian

Nothing to panic about.Petrol and Diesel are derivative from the same crude oil line.Petrol is a bit lighter in moleculer structure so tend to ignite at lower tempratures while Diesel needs high compresion tempratures to catch on fire.

Do you really check the Petrol quality when you fill it from some station?
A big percentage of pumps sell adultrated fule - that may have kerosene, thinner,diesel and you happily drive the engine without any complaints.
All is that you are conscious this time because it happened before your eyes.
Question here is of the Quantity of Diesel!! Driver says its 1.5 litres.Any proofs?It could be 5,10 or more who knows.Better play it safe and try to empty petrol tank using a pipe to extract last drop in there and fill with a clean fuel this time.I Dont think toyota people would be doing anything more than this(may flaunt by asking you get the valves cleaned nothing more).For a second opinion you may call them up to ask what they tend to do if at all you take the hassel of towing the car to their workshop.
Forget about the damage part.Driving just 10 Kms on this adulterated fuel wouldnt make any damages.Damages are a function of heat and time-both are in control.Dont worry.Be Happy.

Spark.
Old 6th June 2007, 10:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
take out as much of the fuel you can from the vehicle and pour in fresh petrol in it....dont drive the car till this has been done....as the diesel poured is just 5 % of the whole fill made in the car.....It might damage the engine.....

talking about percentages, where is our finetuning, i think he can also shed some light on this..... or this could be his next source of inspiration
Old 6th June 2007, 12:38   #34
BHPian

Update,
Have driven 150 KM so far and no issues. I guess the car is ok now and I do not need take it to TATA Service center. What do you guys suggest?
Old 6th June 2007, 13:18   #35
Team-BHP Support

rlather@ i think you are just fine, if you come across something strange take it to dealer otherwise let it be (under assumption you didnt run the engine with the cocktail)
Old 7th June 2007, 11:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

OFF TOPIC:

a quick link to:

if you fill Petrol in a Diesel Car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...iesel-car.html

@ mods - this was in the shifting gears section - it will be great if we can move it in the technical stuff thread. thanks
Old 7th June 2007, 13:32   #37
BHPian

Thanks Pawan for the note.
One more news to all you guys,
After this incident, I logged a complaint at BP Website and today I received a call from their Mumbai office. That guy asked about the car. I told him that its been fine so far, have driven 150 KM and no issues. He sincerely apologize for the inconvience and said that if there is any issue occurs with the car, BP is ready to pay for it. He also told about some training program for the attended and also accepted that its not being followed religously and BP is making every effort in this direction.
Overall the kind of response, I got, is quite good.
Old 11th June 2007, 20:18   #38
BHPian

I also got the car checked by TATA workshop in Gurgaon and they suggedted to replace the diesel filter, just an extra step to prevent any kind of problem. So I did that as well.
Old 13th March 2008, 10:12   #39
BHPian

Diesel poured in Indica Xeta Petrol

Yesterday the guy at the filling station accidently filled diesel in my friend's Indica Xeta (petrol). The car already had about 10 ltrs of petrol in which 15 ltrs of diesel got mixed! My friend called me up and I advised him not to crank the engine. Called the car helpline, they too didnt advised to crank the engine. Finally the car was towed away to the nearest service station. The time and money estimate is yet to be given as this incident happened yesterday night.

My question is, how severe is the problem? Is is simply draining the entire fuel or something else? Can the engine possibily be damaged knowing that no attempt was made to start the car after the incident.

BTW, whose fault should it be considered? My friend's or the guy who filled the car? Is it the duty of the owner to specify which fuel does he/she want or should it be checked by the attendents at the filling station?
Old 13th March 2008, 10:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

i dont think anything serious would have happened since your friend didnt crank the engine. theyll probably just have to drain out all the fuel.
Old 13th March 2008, 10:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would say it is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the proper fuel is being filled in. After all it is your car and you did not get it free of cost ! Shifting the responsibility to the attendants doesnt augur well as still it would be you that is facing the trouble.

Since the engine hasnt been cranked I suppose it is not a major problem.
Old 13th March 2008, 10:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

I agree, nothing major would have happened untill your friend cranked the engine.
As regards the fault part of it, I guess both are equally at fault. The pump attendant, assuming that 'all indicas are diesel' would have directed your friend to a diesel pump. It was equally his duty to check which fuel dispenser he was being led to and filled from.
Old 13th March 2008, 10:24   #43
BHPian

As long as the car has not been cranked even once, after the mistake, I guess the damage will be minimal as no diesel would have made it to the engine.

Hence, draining out the tank and cleaning the fuel pump/lines must suffice.

It is the owner's responsibility to ask for the correct fuel. However, if the attendant assumes it is diesel because it is an Indica and fills diesel without confirming, then he is also partly responsible.

In some countries the bowser's nozzle sizes are different to avoid such accidents. It does help to have a sticker stating "PETROL" or "DIESEL" on the inside of the fuel lid.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 13th March 2008 at 10:26. Reason: Typo
Old 13th March 2008, 10:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
...Can the engine possibily be damaged knowing that no attempt was made to start the car after the incident...
Even if the engine had been cranked/started, I dont think it would have resulted in engine damage. The engine would have made more noise than usual, emitted a lot of smoke, and not run smoothly : but no damage would be done due to cranking/short runs.
Old 13th March 2008, 10:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Lot of work to do.
Tank should be drained. So should the fuel lines. Clean injectors and fuel rails.
Replace fuel filter.

If it was petrol filled in a diesel car, then its goodbye to the engine!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks