Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 11:28   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I would say it is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the proper fuel is being filled in. After all it is your car and you did not get it free of cost ! Shifting the responsibility to the attendants doesnt augur well as still it would be you that is facing the trouble.

Since the engine hasnt been cranked I suppose it is not a major problem.
It IS the responsibility of the car owner to
a) Pull up alongside the proper fuel dispenser petrol/diesel
b) Ensure that the attendant is told exactly what fuel to fill
Nowadays there are many cars which come in petrol/diesel variants, so owners cannot expect attendants to know which fuel is correct.

Even if the attendants do have this info, owners have to live with the car so blaming anyone other than the owner/driver is just plain shirking responsibility.

IMHO, since the engine wasn't started, draining the fuel tank and fuel lines should do. It'll be better to take the advise of a service engineer at a Tata authorised service centre.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:52   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Lot of work to do.
Tank should be drained. So should the fuel lines. Clean injectors and fuel rails.
Replace fuel filter.

If it was petrol filled in a diesel car, then its goodbye to the engine!
Why is it lot of work.
The car was not cranked. So its like carrying fuel in the tank thats all. The fuel tank should be removed and cleaned, with petrol that is.
Atmost the petrol filter should be replaced.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post

BTW, whose fault should it be considered? My friend's or the guy who filled the car? Is it the duty of the owner to specify which fuel does he/she want or should it be checked by the attendents at the filling station?
Absolutely its your friends error.

First is that a petrol point and diesel point are not located at the same place its away from each other.

Your friend must have just parked it it next to the diesel point resulting in the bunk attendant filling with diesel.

two assumptions
1) your friend assumed the attendant to know what has to be filled. - big fcukup
2) the attendant assumed that you wanted it to be filled with diesel as parked next to it - negligible fcukup as to the attendants responsibility,

finally - Assumption is the mother of all fcukups.
Old 13th March 2008, 12:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why is it lot of work.
The car was not cranked. So its like carrying fuel in the tank thats all. The fuel tank should be removed and cleaned, with petrol that is.
Atmost the petrol filter should be replaced.
maybe anna assumed it was cranked by chance or on'ed and asked to do as said so that there is no later!!!

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 13th March 2008 at 12:19.
Old 13th March 2008, 12:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Akash_m,

I think you'll find more information in this similar thread. Please continue the discussion here.

Threads merged.
Old 13th March 2008, 12:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, even if the key was turned to the "ON" position where the dash lights come on, the fuel pump sends fuel through the lines to the injector.
So, just to be sure, I suggested what I've stated. Peace of mind, u know.
Old 13th March 2008, 12:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

It was your friends fault.

I would recommend putting 'Petrol' sticker on the fuel lid as most of the Indicas are Diesel.

Thank god that he did notice it before cranking the engine.
Old 13th March 2008, 12:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post

First is that a petrol point and diesel point are not located at the same place its away from each other.

Just a little correction my friend, now a days, modern machines have 4 or more outlets in a single machine. These points range from Normal Petrol, speed, diesel, Speed diesel or so, so we can't say that Petrol & diesel points are located at different places.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
...modern machines have 4 or more outlets in a single machine. These points range from Normal Petrol, speed, diesel, Speed diesel or so, so we can't say that Petrol & diesel points are located at different places.
Valid point, pankaj_sachdeva. Previously the petrol/diesel pumps used to be separate, not so in the newer bunks.
I always get the question from the pump attendant when I take my Gypsy for refuelling "Petrol?? (scratching his head) I thought this was a diesel vehicle". They relate the Gypsy to the Jeep category and assume it must be diesel. Fortunately, there is a sticker on the fuel cap which says "Petrol"
Old 13th March 2008, 14:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I always get the question from the pump attendant when I take my Gypsy for refuelling "Petrol?? (scratching his head) I thought this was a diesel vehicle". They relate the Gypsy to the Jeep category and assume it must be diesel. Fortunately, there is a sticker on the fuel cap which says "Petrol"
same happens with me whenever I take my Ikon to refuel . Might be as Fords are not known for their fuel efficiency so attenedents think not to many people have petrol fords. Especially after so many of diesel fiesta's burning our roads.
& As I don't have the Petrol sticker, I always come out of the car & stand near the machine,to make sure attendent fills the right fuel & in right quantity.
Old 13th March 2008, 21:43   #56
HKS
BHPian

LOL
Sorry but it was funny.
Was the attendant drunk?
You have to change your fuel filter, and drain and clean your tank.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

what is the exact technical problem

Nitrous... Since you are so sure about Petrol in a Diesel is game over, can you talk tech stuff and enlighten me... I have a Diesel Bullet... every service have to clean many parts with kerosene, and open the valve cover and douse with a healthy 100Ml of petrol to clean the head and valves...of course crank it without starting... if u or any one who knows exact problem caused to a engine with the wrong fuel..please enlighten me
Old 14th February 2009, 22:10   #58

Diesel in the Petrol Tank

Hi Guys,

I had a bad experience at a Petrol bunk recently - I /think/ nothing's happened to the car yet, but would like to ask for some technical opinions.

I pulled into a petrol bunk on the Old Madras road, tired after a long day at work. Despite the sticker on my tank cap, the attendant managed to push in about 4 litres of diesel into my petrol tank. I was shocked out of my wits when I realized what was happening, and immediately made the guy fill my tank with petrol (I was near empty). He pleaded with me not to report him, and I didn't - just didn't feel like doing something that would result in him losing his job, not in this season of layoffs.

I figured that with a tank capacity of 43L, 4L of diesel mixed with 39L of petrol shouldn't mess things up much. Just to be safe, I drove down to my friendly neighbourhood Maruti service station the next morning (I drive a Swift VXI), and talked to the Service Advisor. I told him I didn't mind draining out the entire tank if need be.

After a test drive and some tinkering around inside the bonnet, he told me that things seemed to be OK, and that I should bring the car back /if/ I experienced any sudden jerks while driving.

It's been about two days since, and I haven't experienced any jerks (apart from the usual) while driving. There seems to be a small drop in the pickup, but that could also be my imagination at work.

With that behind me, I have a few questions to ask:

1. What does Diesel in a Petrol tank do? I mean, what harm can be caused to the car?

2. I was told by the petrol pump attendant that draining the fuel out would actually cause more harm than good - that didn't make sense to me. Was he pulling a fast one on me? (I think so).

3. Was my thinking about full-tanking the car right? Or should I have drained the fuel out on the spot?

Last edited by aah78 : 15th February 2009 at 00:32. Reason: Moved to Technical section.
Old 15th February 2009, 11:01   #59
BHPian

Diesel fuel is heavier and thicker than gasoline. this might put some stress on your fuel injection system.

The exhaust will be dirty, but other than that I doubt you'd do too much harm..

This is just an UNprofessional opinion - you're better off asking the experts.
Old 15th February 2009, 11:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

please search the forum. You can screw up the engine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks