Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 11:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...etrol-car.html
Old 15th February 2009, 12:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthiksubraman View Post
He pleaded with me not to report him, and I didn't - just didn't feel like doing something that would result in him losing his job, not in this season of layoffs.
Karthik, someone must say it, so let me be the one. Kudos to you for being so sensitive towards a fellow being! Not a common quality at all.

In my personal opinion, no harm should result with this 10% adulteration.
Once in a while rev up to high revs to keep the lines and system clear.
When half tank has been consumed, top up with premium petrol.
You might need to have the fuel filter changed later.

Now, it's all very easy to say this for someone else's car!

If you want total peace of mind, dump the tank contents right away and fill up petrol. No need to get lines etc... cleaned.
Find strength in the good deed you did. The money part won't hurt!
Old 15th February 2009, 16:29   #63

Thanks Anup

The Maruti service engineer pretty much echoed what you said - I also read up the google answers link in this thread, and I'm more than relieved now!

Plus, I went on a 120Km round trip today, and didn't find anything wrong with the car. So I guess things are OK, just need to get the filters changed and the spark plugs cleaned up later.

Thanks, everybody! I'm <i>very</i> impressed with Team-BHP as a forum, the Signal-to-Noise ratio is awesomely high
Old 15th February 2009, 21:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

I had an old man fill in petrol in my diesel car, though i complained about it, i didnt ask for the 500 bucks i paid for it ( they would have if we made an issue). Now I get superb service from that guy
Old 15th February 2009, 21:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I had an old man fill in petrol in my diesel car, though i complained about it, i didnt ask for the 500 bucks i paid for it ( they would have if we made an issue). Now I get superb service from that guy
I do hope, greenhorn, that it is not a case of blackmail!!
(I would not expect it, from all your other posts on the forum! You're not the kind; you're a good guy)!!
Old 15th February 2009, 21:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I do hope, greenhorn, that it is not a case of blackmail!!
(I would not expect it, from all your other posts on the forum! You're not the kind; you're a good guy)!!
here's what happened
Quote:
Bah a geriatric petrol pump guy put 10 litres of petrol . figured out only when the meter read 10 litres for 500 Rs. Thank god I didnt turn it on. Called the tata helpline , they came within 45 minutes. I really was surprised with the quick response. I expected them to take an hour at least. They towed the car away, and said it would be ready by tomorrow evening. The only casualty was a female collegue I had to ask to go by her own means. Dad showed up, and said there was no point in depriving the old man of 500 rupees ( I hadnt paid till then ) - I'd be taking a significant cut of what he may be getting monthly. The petrol pump manager said that if we returned whatever fuel they took out of the car , they'd put in new diesel instead - yeah right, i didnt ask for damages because I was in a good mood.
Quote:
eh heh heh. It's not the way it looks, really
Actually it was late ( 9 PM) , and the point of her hitching a ride with me was because she wanted to reach home early instead of waiting for our 9:30 taxi, and I didn't want to make her any more late. It turned out to be a mistake since it seems she had handed over the guy the cash I gave her for the fuel, and he had the nerve( or the already demonstrated lack of sense) to claim that he hadnt been paid when dad came . bugger got paid twice eventually . I need to show up there and claim the cash back. The pump is at pongumood
I still havent claimed that cash back
Old 15th February 2009, 22:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here's what happened
...wheels within wheels, eh?
But that still doesn't show you up as a bad guy!
So I'll stand by what I said!
Old 15th February 2009, 22:32   #68
BHPian

I remember reading a similar incident which happened in US, poured small amount of Diesel in a petrol car. The owner of the car insisted on using the vacuum cleaner at the gas station to make sure that the tank is 'clean' and ended blowing up the vacuum cleaner in the process.
Old 27th April 2009, 21:47   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Water in petrol, petrol in diesel - what's your experience?

I was just reminded of an incident so many years ago when a pump attendant filled diesel into our petrol Amby - and we went through the exercise of removing the tank and replacing the entire fuel in it. The story below brought that memory to the fore, although I subconsciously check and double-check everytime fuel is poured, to make sure what they are putting in is what I want.

'Water in petrol', customer claims new car as 'compensation'

What are your experiences, dear fellow BHP-ians, about getting the wrong stuff into your tanks? And what has your reaction been?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th April 2009 at 21:49.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

my experience here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post911249
Old 28th April 2009, 12:48   #71
BHPian

Had an issue with my esteem. Had asked my servant to put water in the car (I meant radiator). Next thing I know he had put 2 liters of water in the engine. I realized it when my car started smoking as if it was on fire. Got the engine flushed immediately. Since that day I never ask my servant to do anything with the car except washing it. It was not his fault i know.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

I believe my truck was recently found to be running around with water in the diesel tank.

Service light came on (scary these days) and the vehicle ran on limp mode. Came back, removed the particulate filter and drained the tank. Everything back to normal.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

In the UK petrol pumps have different sized nozzles for Petrol, Diesel and Leaded Petrol in sync with the fuel tank opening. So you can not put diesel in petrol run cars or vice versa. May be we should have something like that over here as well.

But one cannot do much if the substance coming out of the fuel station is adulterated.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Had an issue with my esteem. Had asked my servant to put water in the car (I meant radiator).
Water in radiator , I thought Esteem required coolant. And any water that needed to added has to be distilled water. Are you talking about wiper washer tank?

I have had an instance of my well maintained Caliber stalling. When nothing worked, the mechanic opened the tank and drained at least 500 ml of water. I don't know where it got in from. Fuel adultration is what the mechanic told me. Scary it was.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

^^^Wow, now thats the most original car related blunder I'v heard about...

But adding just water?? What about the coolant?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks