Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 08:21   #16
BHPian

My 6950 used to go off when i started the car. it stopped after i changed the battery.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:15   #17
BHPian

Hi ,

I have a new indica vista auro quadra jet which met with a accident recently.Now after the accident I replace the intercoller and the front bonnet and everything looked ok

Now the problem is that it sometimes it doesnot crank at all.(I push the key all the way to the ON position) but I hear no sound.I went to a local mechanic and he told me that starter relay is the issue and has to be replaced.The other surprising issue was that car was starting when he just took the starter relay off and put it back(after wiping it).

This has happened to be twice.I am going to the TASS next week and vehicle is under warranty.Should I replace the starter relay or how should I approach the issue(any other issues?)

-hdi
Old 27th November 2009, 23:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdi_pro View Post
Hi ,

I have a new indica vista auro quadra jet which met with a accident recently.Now after the accident I replace the intercoller and the front bonnet and everything looked ok

-hdi
I faced a similar issue with my Tata Safari but hopefully it was just a fuse that was blown off. However in your case, the mechanic seems right it may be a problem of Relay(as quadrajet is a full electronic car).And cleaning the relay contacts will not resolve the problem you will have to replace it under warranty.

However,if the above doesnot solves the problem then it could be:
- The ignition switch could be at fault.
- The starter motor itself is common to fail.
- Starter motor control wire could have bad connection.
Old 7th September 2012, 14:23   #19
BHPian

Re: "Help, indica does not start" solutions

Bumping up the thread as I am still facing doubts after having read about starting problem and fuel pumps in various threads.

My delima is two-fold:

1. If the fuel pump is at fault, the car shouldn't run, should it? My Indica keeps running properly after it's started by priming the hand pump.
2. If the fuel pump is at fault, shouldn't that be consistent everyday? If the car is run regularly, it many a times starts without a fuss.

So is it the fuel pump, or am I facing some other issue(s) here?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that sometimes using the glow plugs 4-5 times solves the problem even without priming the hand pump if the car has made a run the last day!

Last edited by lordofgondor : 7th September 2012 at 14:29.
Old 4th May 2013, 15:59   #20

I have a unique problem way different from all of the above u mentioned. My 2006 Indica DLG turbo starts when it wants to and does not when it does not want to. I mean, it's not related to cold start (starts fine if it wants to in winter too), battery does not seam to drain (Since even if I start it after 4 days, it will; but if I attempt to start it after a long drive, or for that sake even a short, it does not). It's super irritating to drive normally at a fuel station, stop for a fill, only to notice that the car refuses to start again. It's extremely erratic.
There is a click sound coming when I crank the engine, but it seems that the starter refuses to rotate. After waiting for 5 to 10 mins, the car starts normally (No summer/ winter bias, so the glow plug issue is ruled out).
I would be really grateful to you if I can have your advice on this problem. Can you suggest a good garage in Pune who can maintain my Indica. I'm fed up with Pandit Auto and other TASS in Pune
Old 6th May 2013, 11:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik Chavan View Post
I have a unique problem way different from all of the above u mentioned. My 2006 Indica DLG turbo starts when it wants to and does not when it does not want to. I mean, it's not related to cold start (starts fine if it wants to in winter too), battery does not seam to drain (Since even if I start it after 4 days, it will; but if I attempt to start it after a long drive, or for that sake even a short, it does not). It's super irritating to drive normally at a fuel station, stop for a fill, only to notice that the car refuses to start again. It's extremely erratic.
There is a click sound coming when I crank the engine, but it seems that the starter refuses to rotate. After waiting for 5 to 10 mins, the car starts normally (No summer/ winter bias, so the glow plug issue is ruled out).
I would be really grateful to you if I can have your advice on this problem. Can you suggest a good garage in Pune who can maintain my Indica. I'm fed up with Pandit Auto and other TASS in Pune

Hi Pratik Chavan,

This seems to be quite similar to the problem that I experienced with my indica vista.It would start when "it" wants to start and not when you want to.
The issue for me was the loose connection between the starter wire that connects to the engine.I replaced the entire whole setup and the problem went away.

Whenever I see that its not starting ,I will manually try move the connection(which is at the back of the engine) and crank.

Hope this was helpful.

-hdi_pro
Old 6th May 2013, 11:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik Chavan View Post
The problem is with the starter motor solenoid. When the engine is hot, this starts to malfunction. Change the solenoid.
That said, also check the engine temparature. I am not sure what is the recommended max temp for turbo indica. Its different for different cars. For example, for the Liva its 85 degree C, for the Safari its around 96 degree C
If you are not having any AC problems, then I think its not a temperature issue but a solenoid issue.
You can get it changed outside TASS also. They may insist in changing the entire starter motor.

An easy way to find out whether its the solenoid is to put the vehicle in gear and rock it using 2-3 people. The in gear car will rotate the starter circuit, and if its a solenoid issue, pushing the car half a meter when in gear will allow car to start.
Old 7th May 2013, 15:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The problem is with the starter motor solenoid. When the engine is hot, this starts to malfunction. Change the solenoid.
That said, also check the engine temparature. I am not sure what is the recommended max temp for turbo indica. Its different for different cars. For example, for the Liva its 85 degree C, for the Safari its around 96 degree C
If you are not having any AC problems, then I think its not a temperature issue but a solenoid issue.
You can get it changed outside TASS also. They may insist in changing the entire starter motor.

An easy way to find out whether its the solenoid is to put the vehicle in gear and rock it using 2-3 people. The in gear car will rotate the starter circuit, and if its a solenoid issue, pushing the car half a meter when in gear will allow car to start.
Hi tsk, Thanks a lot!
Im planning to handover the vehicle to the newly opened Concorde dealership in Pune for regualr service. Im keeping my fingers crossed, just hope they do a decent job with my car. I'll brief them about the issue, your solution. About engine temperature, on the cluster, I'm not finding any abnormality. Ill check with those guys to physically confirm the temperature. Thanks again.
Old 9th May 2013, 18:19   #24
BHPian

I am facing a strange problem in my indica DLX.

Last saturday, the car would not start in the parking , only I could hear a whinning sound means the starter motor is moving. [ Battery is new and is fully charged , full horn sound and lights there , so no battery issues]. But the engine wont crank. Tried many times and gave up.

Went to the Lucas shop in KSB chowk, got them at home. Tried to push start but did nt work. but what happend is that , when i tried cranking it, car started instantly. after that , tried many times for 3 days, it started flawlessly.

Again yesterday night at 9 pm , in office parking , car wont start. Left it there, cameback home. Morning again after i reached office parking , took help of 2 guys to push the car ...and cranked after taht, it srated as if there was no issue.

Took the car to Lucas shop, they are saying that , :

- need to open startet motor.
- may be the coupling/ drive between starter motor and engine flywheel is broken. So, its slipping. Need to open to check . Slotting is not happening correctly.
-So, either that flywheel is damaged or the teeth of the slotting gear is starter motor is damaged.

I came back ,again just to observe for few more days

Pls suggest what can be the issue and what I should look fwd to get it corrected/ replaced ?
Car is 5 years old with OEM starter motor.
Old 12th May 2013, 21:16   #25

Hi, I had my Indica with a similar problem just serviced a week ago at Concorde, Baner. They have done quite a decent job overall, but with regards to the starter issue, they just checked the wiring, etc and assigned the problem to the starter. Since they could not carry the starter repairs themselves, they were to handover the starter to a local Lucas dealer. I did not advise them to do so, since they quoted expenses around 4k, which seems too high. The problem has not repeated atleast after the servicing, Im keeping my fingers crossed. If it does, I would be visiting the KSB chowk dealer only. Seems to be reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks