Team-BHP - Sputtering exhaust note
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Sputtering exhaust note (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/23236-sputtering-exhaust-note.html)

Hi all,
Since a few months, I've been noticing a sputtering in the exhaust note of my Palio 1.2NV ELX. When idling, the exhaust sputters out intermittently (every couple of seconds) - you can hear that and also "feel" the if you put your palm against the exhaust (like the exhaust of the Enfield/Bullet bikes). I've asked the technicians at Jay-Vijay Motors, Pune about the same and they all said that this is normal.
Although I'd like to take their word for it since I don't know zilch about engines, it just doesn't "feel" right.
Has anyone else had the same problem/question? Know any solutions ?
I fill Speed or IOC Extra Premium from reputed pumps only. I rarely drive in race mode and my car has clocked close to 7000kms till date. My second service is coming up soon and I'd like to point out the same to the service center with any information I gather here.
In the meanwhile, if anyone has any opinions/suggestions regarding the same, I would like to hear them out. All help appreciated.

- etchemkay

wats your rpm idle
wow palio s got a race mode i thought only expencive cars had that

Does this happen during cold start occasions? I suspect adulterated fuel.

Are you noticing a Surge and drop in the RPM needle also..!

Get the Fuel Filter changed,Air filter cleaned,Spark plugs re adjusted and Throttle cleaned..at your next service..!

This is pretty normal, happens with Bad Fuel and Dirty Throttle

Quote:

Originally Posted by paras211 (Post 415977)
wats your rpm idle

It's the normal idle RPM rate - 1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 416032)
Does this happen during cold start occasions? I suspect adulterated fuel.

No, this condition does not pertain only to cold-start situations. It is ever-present. I doubt if this is a result of adulterated fuel coz I've always (apart from a couple of desperate times) filled from reputed petrol pumps - RTO-Speed, IOC COCOs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfinstein (Post 416082)
Are you noticing a Surge and drop in the RPM needle also..!

No, the RPM needle remains constant at 900-1000. Also, even at 2000rpm (I haven't checked beyond that), the sputtering remains. I've noticed it, at times, in gear also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfinstein (Post 416082)
Get the Fuel Filter changed,Air filter cleaned,Spark plugs re adjusted and Throttle cleaned..at your next service..!
This is pretty normal, happens with Bad Fuel and Dirty Throttle

I think I'll get these checked even before my next service. Or maybe I'll just prepone my service schedule.

get your injectors also checked along with other things mentioned above, try using iFTEX injector cleaner along with your petrol and see

Get the ignition coil and the distributor checked. Also the injectors and the fuel filter.

Are you running a custom exhaust system? I have a custom free flow exhaust on my esteem and when the rev's drop slowly (when i am coasting to a stop) i can hear the sputter (? there must be another word for this)... Love this sound.. am not complaining. I am sure my injector are clean as i use an injector cleaner regularly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 416180)
Are you running a custom exhaust system?

Nope .. my car's all stock for now.

Suggestions I've got till now -
- check ignition coil and the distributor
- check injectors
- change fuel filter changed
- clean air filter
- re-adjust spark plugs
- clean throttle
.. anything else ?
I'll be handing over this list to the service station engineers sometime this week. Will keep this thread updated with the progress on the problem.

Thanks everyone.

Try to first isolate the cause :

Ask the Mech to Remove the Outlet from the Fuel Filter and then check the quality of fuel-If its Black, Then You can proceed to change the Filter and Get the Injectors Checked.

First Inspect the Throttle,It should be Jet Black with Carbon and all, Then Clean it-Clean Air Filter-If the Throttle appears with slight carbon, Then just spray clean it.

With Spark Plugs, Re-adjustement-Ensure its done properly-Too much or Too less can complicate things.

Lastly, Be present when this work is being done, Try for a Sunday or Your Holiday-Its not a much time consuming work, You should be through in 1 and Half Hours,Provided you reach early and Mech does not run away..!

Sometimes, even if your exhaust pipe has a leak somewhere, you can hear the fluttering sound at certain rpm points.

My car is running without it's end muffler and i can hear the fluttering sound at around 1000-1200rpm. Even when you play loud music in your house, you sometimes notice the windows vibrating only when a certain set of notes are played.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 416545)
My car is running without it's end muffler and i can hear the fluttering sound at around 1000-1200rpm.

Whoa!!!:Shockked: I have a 4x1 header with a straight pipe and SS muffler. And boy is she LOUD!!! Mostly i slip into neutral when i spot a cop.lol:

Imagine a ride with no end can. Thats somethin like a sportscar pulling away real quick... (i've experienced it in one so i know how loud it can be...!!!). Dont u get pulled over by cops shan?

Quote:

Imagine a ride with no end can. Thats somethin like a sportscar pulling away real quick... (i've experienced it in one so i know how loud it can be...!!!). Dont u get pulled over by cops shan?
It's loud only at higher rpms, while cruising, you get that mild soothing exhaust note.

I've run my car without any muffler at all (which caused the brakes to fail) and even then, it didn't seem to affect the cops. Moreover, i do all my high rpm drivng outside city limits (all highways are within 2 kms from my house).

PS : Why do you think i prefer keeping the Vtec in Hubli. LOL

Shan2nu