Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2007, 19:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
If differential was the answer.. the wheel in air is the only one that is supposed to move...

I say its just the momentum of the car... they pick up speed... and while doing the stunt don't accelerate at all... just let it roll.

Otherwise if the wheels in air are completely stopped... they might have some kind of a single sided brake!
If you jack up one side and slowly release the power then the wheels in the air will be the ones which are moving, no matter how much you accelerate after that...

As you said the initial momentum should be what keeps the car running here...

Not sure of any special setup though....
Old 19th April 2007, 20:16   #17
BHPian

Probably its a car thats specially kitted out for only rotating the left wheel! On a more serious note, when he is on 2 wheels, even very light brake inputs(which the driver might use to control the car in that situation) would be enough to stop the wheels in the air because they would not have much inertia as the load of the vehicle is not on them.

Did you see such a video on the net somewhere? In which case, could you provide a link? Cheers.
Old 19th April 2007, 20:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
wrong, the torsen doesnt work when one of the wheels is in the air.
The work around is explained here - see the "Hummer" part on right hand side towards the bottom of the page.
Howstuffworks "How Differentials Work"
Old 20th April 2007, 00:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

Worrisomebear,

It would help if you posted the video you were talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Differential lock is one probable reason.
Nitrous, i think if the diff lock is engaged BOTH wheels will ALWAYS rotate at the same speed, regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
camera trick is the answer.
I will agree with this...it might have also been a bad quality video at night and its hard to see.

Also, if the front wheel is not driven, it will freewheel itself to a stop and this will most probably be the only wheel that is not rotating.

eg. @85seconds in this video

cya
R
Old 20th April 2007, 09:11   #20
BHPian

@worrisomebear : which car was that?

I think AWD systems can cause this. they supply power to the wheel that has traction.
Old 20th April 2007, 10:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
I think AWD systems can cause this. they supply power to the wheel that has traction.

This is the closest explanation and quite apt too. But any techies to explain if the wheel without traction loses power completely?
Old 20th April 2007, 13:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

I did a serach on You tube for such videos & here the list

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Check out this one 16 cars on two wheels

Not much is vible of the tire in sky but at exactly 3.05 secs you can see the stopped wheel of a white car(a renault I think)

I dont think there is any camera trick since its a Guiness record attempt

The wheel I belive are moving in this vdo

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th April 2007 at 13:06.
Old 21st April 2007, 02:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
This is the closest explanation and quite apt too. But any techies to explain if the wheel without traction loses power completely?
I said that! LSD! Any wheel with traction gets all the torque. Wheel in air = zero traction = zero torque supplied!
Old 21st April 2007, 10:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I said that! LSD! Any wheel with traction gets all the torque. Wheel in air = zero traction = zero torque supplied!
In [ applications, a limited slip differential (LSD) is a modified or derived type of gear arrangement that allows for some difference in rotational ] of the output shafts, but does not allow the difference in speed to increase beyond a preset amount. In an , such limited slip differentials are sometimes used in place of a standard differential, where they convey certain dynamic advantages, at the expense of greater complexity

this is from Wikipedia... It seems that LSD does not allow to increse the speed difference beyond a set limit.. so it means.. Both wheels will spin.... right???

IMHO it is possible if the driveshaft to one wheel was disengaged and the differential locked... Torque steer balanced by Steering inputs..

Or driving after having LSD-Lysergic acid diethylamide - One psychedelic drug..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks