Team-BHP - Wheels in air dont rotate : Why ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Wheels in air dont rotate : Why ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/23279-wheels-air-dont-rotate-why.html)

hi friends,

i was watching a video of some cars pulling stunts like driving on 2 wheels. no not a wheelie. they were like driving on two left wheels. im sure u have seen this before. now the thing is both the right side wheels (which were in the air, did not rotate.) why is it so.

first i thought maybe cuz of differential unit. then i read that in differential, same torque is supplied to both wheels but rotation speed is different. wheel with less friction rotates faster.

in that case the wheel in the air should rotate even faster. why is it stationary? also confirm if differential unit is present on both the axles.

Could it be simply because there was no acceleration, hence no power transmitted to the wheels ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by worrisomebear (Post 416996)
hi friends,

wheel with less friction rotates faster.

in that case the wheel in the air should rotate even faster. why is it stationary? also confirm if differential unit is present on both the axles.

Differential unit is present only on live axle, if it is a 4wd then only diiferentials are there on both axles as both are live, in addition to a transfer case.

You are right the wheel in air, owing to less restriction should spin more, unless there is a specific arrangement for locking the wheel in air, so as to transmit whole power to wheel in contact with graound.

myself confused right now..i dnt know why

Most probably they are governed by TORque SENsing Differential
It sends 100% of available torque to the wheel which has the traction (i.e. to the wheel in the ground in this case).

Search in Google for Torsen differential and you'll get lots of info.

Example
Torsen General Frequently Asked Questions page

I think this kind of setup is available even in the Mitsubishi EVO remember hearing something like this in a TG video.

i think it happens in all the cars and the reason is differential.

Sar because of differential only the wheel should move. plese ready previous posts. Unless it has the TORque SENsing Differential as stated by sbasak the wheel should rotate

If differential was the answer.. the wheel in air is the only one that is supposed to move...

I say its just the momentum of the car... they pick up speed... and while doing the stunt don't accelerate at all... just let it roll.

Otherwise if the wheels in air are completely stopped... they might have some kind of a single sided brake!

Limited slip differential. Or zero throttle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 417246)
Limited slip differential. Or zero throttle.

With Limited slip differential it should rotate right..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak (Post 417109)
Most probably they are governed by TORque SENsing Differential
It sends 100% of available torque to the wheel which has the traction (i.e. to the wheel in the ground in this case).

Search in Google for Torsen differential and you'll get lots of info.

Example
Torsen General Frequently Asked Questions page

wrong, the torsen doesnt work when one of the wheels is in the air.

Differential lock is one probable reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jomz (Post 417292)
With Limited slip differential it should rotate right..

No. With an LSD the wheel in the air won't rotate. Torque is supplied to the wheel that has traction.

But in this case, it's 99% because they are cruising with zero throttle.

camera trick is the answer.

As many of you pointed out..the wheel in the air is supposed to rotate faster than the one on the road. Any kind of diff including Diff lock..WILL make the wheel rotate and NOT otherwise..