Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2007, 15:22   #1
BHPian

Baleno - Power Steering heavy when AC is on.

Hi... Power Steering of my Baleno (4400 kms old) Lxi goes heavy when ever AC is on. The heaviness is quite evident and sometimes even painful.

Also, there seems to be power latency between 1400 and 1800 RPM with AC on. I have too push the RPM beyond 1800 to get some power to the wheels.

Any clues ?. Has anyone experience the same in their Baleno ?.

THanks.
Old 19th April 2007, 16:03   #2
BHPian

Hi Subbu,

You better get it checked-up. I also have a Baleno Lxi and have never experienced the same. In fact there seems to be a minimal power loss when the AC is switched-on.

Best of luck!
Old 19th April 2007, 17:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does the baleno have a HPS or EPS ?
Old 19th April 2007, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its Hydraulic Power Steering in the Baleno.

Never noticed this issue with my car.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMHO I belive Baleno had EPS infact its supposed to be the first car to have EPS in India & at that time one of the mag copared this to that time's e-class which sported HPS.

@Subbu: doesnt sound normal for sure please get it chekup up at Maruti service station
Old 19th April 2007, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

What tyres do you use ?
I feel a slight heaviness too, but that's always. No dependency on AC's. I run 195's. I would attribute a bit of it to the leather on the steering - it could have been a somewhat more grippier. Tends to slip slightly if held too lightly.

I've experienced the wee-wee dip in power, but within a much shorter range 1700-1800 ish. Not always - at times. Feels like it loses power slightly momentarily and then bites in again. I think it happens more if I shift to 4th/5th around 1500 and accelerate from there.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Baleno has HPS, and it's heavy anyway. More so if you go over the 165 rubber. And yes, it flatspots around 1500 rpm and only wakes up after 1800 with the AC on.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:23   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
IMHO I belive Baleno had EPS infact its supposed to be the first car to have EPS in India & at that time one of the mag copared this to that time's e-class which sported HPS.
Baleno has hydraulic power steering not electronic .. The comparison with the E class was with respect to AC not power steering ..
Old 19th April 2007, 18:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Oh ok thanks for correcting & now I remember the ac was compared to S class
Old 30th January 2010, 22:50   #10

Hi,
I own a 2006 Baleno Lxi (26000 Kms only, I live really close to my office!), with an Automech FFE and a Pipercross universal air filter.

The Baleno has an HPS, and ever since I upgraded to 195/65/R14s, the steering has become slightly heavier at high RPMs (3000 +), but no major issues.

Also, it always goes flat between 1500-2000 RPM and then wakes up again 2000 RPM+ with the AC on. In fact I've always felt another flat spot around the 4000 RPM mark with the AC on (before and after the FFE and filter).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Old 30th January 2010, 23:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Does the baleno have a HPS or EPS ?
IMHO all Maruti cars have EPS, including the Esteem and Baleno (whose manufacturing has been stopped)
Old 30th January 2010, 23:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy4u View Post
IMHO all Maruti cars have EPS, including the Esteem and Baleno (whose manufacturing has been stopped)
Nope - the esteem and baleno has hydraulic power steering and so do the older zens
Old 31st January 2010, 15:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Nope - the esteem and baleno has hydraulic power steering and so do the older zens
Slight correction here.

All Esteems and Balenos came with Hydraulic Power Steering

All other Marutis(including Zen in its PS avtaar) came/come with EPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
Hi... Power Steering of my Baleno (4400 kms old) Lxi goes heavy when ever AC is on. The heaviness is quite evident and sometimes even painful.

Also, there seems to be power latency between 1400 and 1800 RPM with AC on. I have too push the RPM beyond 1800 to get some power to the wheels.

Any clues ?. Has anyone experience the same in their Baleno ?.

THanks.
Subbu,It could be that your Power steering pump belt has too much play.Just check please.

Last edited by vigsom : 31st January 2010 at 15:38. Reason: reply to Subbu
Old 31st January 2010, 16:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

I dont know whether someone has noticed it but the brake pedal become a bit heavier when AC is on in my car. When it is switched off while lightly keeping foot in the brake pedal, the pedal goes down little bit with the same amount of pressure applied.

The power steering becoming harder when AC is on, should be due to the same reason whatever it may be.

My reasoning - Ac is on means more load on the engine - PS pump sees a drop in the power through belt drive - less pressure in hydraulics - more heavy steering It might be a stupid reason. It might also be that the PS pump's belt slips a lot with AC compressor engaged.

Last edited by clevermax : 31st January 2010 at 16:16.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I dont know whether someone has noticed it but the brake pedal become a bit heavier when AC is on in my car. When it is switched off while lightly keeping foot in the brake pedal, the pedal goes down little bit with the same amount of pressure applied.

The power steering becoming harder when AC is on, should be due to the same reason whatever it may be.

My reasoning - Ac is on means more load on the engine - PS pump sees a drop in the power through belt drive - less pressure in hydraulics - more heavy steering It might be a stupid reason. It might also be that the PS pump's belt slips a lot with AC compressor engaged.
the ps pump belt can slip under the conditions mentioned if it has a little excessive play ; yes,you're right.Sometimes the argument can be funny,but even Archimedes said,"Eureka" by noticing something funny.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks