Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 19:14   #31
BHPian

Re: 2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car

So much for all those safety star ratings advertisements and for supporting "make in India". What should one do with 4 or 5 star safety ratings if god forbid the fuel tanks catches fire due to friction?!

The tank like quality and all is good. Tata immediately needs to hire some top QC staff from the Japanese firms and make them oversee quality for this model until it reaches a "stable" state.

Until then it honestly feels safer to drive a car that won't breakdown in the middle of the highway even if its not built like a tank. Eager for Tata to find a permanent solution and to be proven otherwise.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:44   #32
BHPian

Re: 2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car

There was a silent recall for fuel pipe for some of the car batches from Nov 2020. Looks to me the svc made the changes and "forgot" to attach the screws to the tanks.
My airbox filter was replaced as part of service and the guys did not screw three screws completely. I mean how much time does it take for one to tighten 3 screws?
AmitRavi07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 20:21   #33
BHPian

I think with all the unscrupulous manufacturers, dealers and service guys who have no idea what they are doing, all car owners need to develop a little DIY attitude. Imagine stranded like the OP with family, in the middle of nowhere and RSA took six hours to reach. If he was a hands on person, even a bit, could have notified the service center about the problem, jacked up the car, pushed up the fuel tank and tied it up with what ever available resources, continued the journey slowly and reached the destination. The repairs could have been done at a service center at the destination. Obviously this would not work if there is an issue with the engine or if there is a part failure, but missing bolts holding up some thing can be dealt with some jugaad. Just a thought.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 9th February 2021 at 20:25.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:14   #34
BHPian

It definitely looks scary and in my opinion this might be due to the carelessness shown by the SC guys. The tank might have been removed for any underbody coating or any other attention and the bolts were only hand tightened. I strongly believe that in factories they use Impact wrench or other power tools to tighten bolts. Highly unbelievable that it's a mistake done in the assembly line.
Just my thought.
vijith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith View Post
I strongly believe that in factories they use Impact wrench or other power tools to tighten bolts. Highly unbelievable that it's a mistake done in the assembly line.
Just my thought.
Echoes my thoughts too. Also, as far as I know, the critical bolts/nuts after torqueing to spec, are marked with paint of an easily distinguishable colour. Even the door lock striker plates would have this paint mark. You'll be able to know, if the bolts have been undone for any reason. It is quite unlikely to go unnoticed in the production line QC and the PDI, but then it is Tata, so can't be sure. But in this case, I suspect the people at the service center or the place from where OP got the underbody coating done.
--gKrish-- is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Like some of the recent posts suggests, this looks like a botched job in the service center rather than a factory job gone wrong. Only if similar stories come out can we confirm this is indeed a lapse in QC. Else full credit for this will go to the service center.

There should be stringent measures for parts like this. A hanging fuel tank is no joke. It can have very catastrophic endings if the situation goes south.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 23:06   #37
BHPian

I don't want to jump the gun but this cannot be accepted. How much ever I love the brand, this fear factor is always there within me, that's one of the reason for me not to go with Nexon.

Now waiting for Maruti / Hyundai to come up with an ad campaign "Atleast our fuel tanks are safe"
vvivek85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:57   #38
BHPian

Very lucky to escape from a potential accident. Should not be a factory fit issue. Hope the SC is made responsible for PDI or if they had performed any other under body treatment.

Hope Tata Motors looks into this and do the root cause analysis just to be sure it is not the QC issue.

Recent past have seen many quality issues with Hyundai and Kia also which can be a potential cause for accidents like brake issue, engine bracket/mount quality etc. Expected Hyundai to recall for the brake issue but they never acknowledged.

We also need to be very vigilant with PDI inspections or when someone does some work by unsrewing and screwing back the vechile parts, make sure he does fit them back into proper lock position.

Last edited by bageherath : 10th February 2021 at 10:58.
Old 10th February 2021, 11:32   #39
BHPian

Its probably just a one off case. Primarily, appears to be an assembly line issue. I don't think PDI's involve checking fuel tank bolts. Ofcourse it is an issue which cannot be ignored but hey there have been one of its kind cases from all the manufacturers. Like the other day someone had his entire axle broken in his Jeep Compass one his way from Showroom to the guys home just after taking the delivery. Someone's Mercedes GL has an issue right from the showroom and so on. Nobody said a thing then, nobody jumped to conclusions then...
Turbotechnixx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:14   #40
BHPian

The owner must thank his stars that nothing untoward happened.

Chances are high that this could be an issue from service center guys who forgot to tighten the nuts. Even after two years of launch, some of the service engineers and the technicians who actually "do" the work have no clue of how to handle a situation or address even simple issues. It's a ridiculous situation. Imagine a service engineer telling you to send the picture of a socket and then wants to check if it matches in another harrier! Then since there are no (?) harriers brought for service in the work shop, he doesnt get back even after couple of days.

They dont have even theoretical knowledge of what they are talking about. After giving a mouthful, he sets up a meeting with CRM, SM and the SE himself. I am still waiting for a resolution. End of the day, it is my mistake to choose a service center that is closer to my place, instead of sending to one a little far off, where I did my previous services.

The service center I am talking about is Prerana motors in Bangalore. While I know the issue and the resolution, it seems the SC doesnt want to own it. Thankfully, it is not something critical like the one in the original post. The issue was added during scheduled service. I will write the complete story, after the issue is resolved.

Last edited by igniteddriver : 10th February 2021 at 12:30.
igniteddriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:17   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotechnixx View Post
Its probably just a one off case. Primarily, appears to be an assembly line issue. I don't think PDI's involve checking fuel tank bolts. Ofcourse it is an issue which cannot be ignored but hey there have been one of its kind cases from all the manufacturers. Like the other day someone had his entire axle broken in his Jeep Compass one his way from Showroom to the guys home just after taking the delivery. Someone's Mercedes GL has an issue right from the showroom and so on. Nobody said a thing then, nobody jumped to conclusions then...
I am really sorry but why does every tata thread have comments like these? I am not sure but there are separate threads for all the instances you have mentioned in your post.

- The Jeep Compass Axle issue discussed elaborately

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-replaced.html (Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced)

- BMW X1 Axle issue
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...day-1-a-2.html (BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1)

- MG Hector catching fire
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...hing-fire.html (The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire)

- Kia Seltos brake failure issues
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ia-seltos.html (Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos)

Each of these threads has run into pages with an equal amount of bashing and "jumping to conclusions".

Please restrict comments like these to FB groups and not a forum like this.

Let's not digress from the issue at hand and point out (non existent) ambiguity in manufacturer perception. This is a serious QC issue (even if it is a one off).

Last edited by vishy76 : 10th February 2021 at 12:21.
vishy76 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:59   #42
BHPian

The most important part of a Tata ownership is the availability of a good service centre and a good manager. I have been lucky enough to find one and they take great care of my car.

For new Tata buyers I suggest you to first visit the service centre, understand the people running it, the work ethics, get into Tata owner's groups, get references and then step into the showroom.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 14:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am sure this vehicle was used as a donor vehicle for parts (fuel tank specifically) to repair some accidental Harrier.

The replacement part (meant for the accidental vehicle) must have been hurridely bolted on to this prior to delivery.

After sales service is the king in Dealership business, selling new cars is like a necessary evil.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 15:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I am sure this vehicle was used as a donor vehicle for parts (fuel tank specifically) to repair some accidental Harrier.

The replacement part (meant for the accidental vehicle) must have been hurridely bolted on to this prior to delivery.

After sales service is the king in Dealership business, selling new cars is like a necessary evil.
True.

Take parts from under warranty vehicles and put it accidental vehicles. (And charge them)

One the real owner finds an issue, replace the part since its anyways warranty.

So they make money multiple ways, and charge labour for both.
Old 10th February 2021, 15:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
So they make money multiple ways, and charge labour for both.
If that's the case then this makes it even more important for the manufacturers to tighten their oversight and have a responsive complaint redressal system since the people doing it are getting off scot free while the manufacturer and the customer pay the price.

Check out a related thread on the topic if you haven't here (What causes the impression of poor sales & service?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks