Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 10:43   #1

Less Low End Power in Ford Ikon 1.3

Hi,
I have a Ford Ikon 1.3 CLXi thats done around 24000km. The problem I am facing is that with the A/C on there is very low pick up in the lower revs (till around 2700 RPM). Once this RPM is crossed, the acceleration is fine. Also, without the A/C also there is no problem with the pick up.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
Old 20th April 2007, 12:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

This is indeed true with all the 1.3s. What i do in these cases, is using the gears to extract max power from them, rather than being in one gear and accelerating through it. I am sure the performance mod gurus would be in a postion to suggest something here, although i have learnt to adapt to this in my car.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 20th April 2007 at 12:57.
Old 22nd April 2007, 13:49   #3
BHPian

I own an ikon flair and suffered from the same problem- Lousy pickup at low RPMs, esp. with the AC on. My suggestion to you would be to do what I have done (it won't turn your car into a rocket but will drastically improve your driving experience).

1. Get a free flow exhaust with header. I got mine from Automech but he will only give you a generic FFE (even that will do wonders), if you'd rather prefer a custom job , get in touch with Viper who will be able to help you out. My experience tells me that this will be the best mod you can do short of a porting-polishing job to get a reasonable increase. Just remember, where ever you get your FFE, tell them to give you a soft mellow sound, The deep roar sounds good initially but it can be a pain later, especially on long drives. This will cost you between 9,000-15,000 Rs, depending on where you get it from.

2. Strap on a conical air filter. I have a K&N with a custom intake pipe which I sourced from Viper, but I believe there are several other good filters out there. The filter itself doesn't give you a HP gain, but I guess it helps your engine breathe better and is a basic requirement if you intend to go in for future mods. I paid 6000 for the filter and intake pipe.

3. If this ain't enough (and if you have money to spare), try out the Tri-phase. I got mine from Viper. It makes a reasonable difference in initial pickup of the car especially with the AC on. I am able to get the car to move smoothly from much lower RPMs and it also seems to iron out a flat spot between 1500-2200 RPM.

Another Team bhpian Angad777 has done similar mods to his ikon flair and you could also get in touch with him to know his experience.

And finally, look up the thread on Acetone. I tried adding Acetone twice and "felt" that the car was less jerky at low RPMs and smoother overall. However I don't do that as a usual practice, I am quite satisfied with what I have now.

But if there was just one thing that you could do to, get a custom FFE and tell your guy to design it for bottom end gains (since that's where the ikon flair lacks most).

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks