Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 10:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but I noticed OPs location is in Assam, which is a hilly state. Most AMTs don't have hill-start assist features. Could it be that overheating & premature wear of clutch & transaxle is causing a failure?

@BhaskarGoswami: Do you use the handbrake to aid a hill-start?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th February 2021 at 10:36.
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 10:49   #17
BHPian

Seems like an issue that would need proper diagnosis, most service center guys will simply ask you to bring the car back when the issue comes back again or show the issue in front of them. May I suggest you try a different service center this time (I am aware that you went to a different one recently), a friend of mine (who owns an i20) recommends Oja Hyundai, Basistha. Apparently they are better (than the other ones) when it comes to solving difficult issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Correlation doesn't imply causation, but I noticed OPs location is in Assam, which is a hilly state. Most AMTs don't have hill-start assist features.
Off-topic: Assam is not a hilly state, it is as plain as a state can get. I agree that rest of North eastern states are mostly hilly, but not Assam (baring a few places which are hilly).

Last edited by chiranjitp : 12th February 2021 at 10:52.
chiranjitp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'm facing this abrupt ECU glitch and sudden power shutdown while on the move on my RR310 bike as well. I suspect this to be with rats fouling on the wiring. I checked the battery terminals and all are fine, need to take it to the service center soon.

Just like you, this happens randomly and all of a sudden. It's not frequent so there is no chance that service center guys will be able to replicate it.

I am planning to capture it on my action cam. I suggest you take a video of the issue when it occurs and give it to your service center.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:58   #19

It might be a battery issue. I was facing similar problems in my Santro MT (especially the last one, the car went dead in middle of traffic and restarted after 2-3 minutes, with all settings restarted etc.). My car was < 1 year old so this was a shocker. I went for servicing to Hyundai ASC, but they were unable to diagnose any problem. Finally it turned out that getting the battery terminals cleaned was enough to fix it. Worth a try!
saum1230 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:13   #20
BHPian

I have been driving a Santro AMT Sportz since close to 2 years and haven't had a single issue with the AMT gearbox (touchwood) for the last 7k kms. That too in Bangalore, with some serious tight traffic situations. So, it is not a generic issue atleast. It is a fuss free car otherwise.

In this case, there seems to be some issue with electricals and possibly some rodents playing spoilsport with few wires.
kaushik_ak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarGoswami View Post
I bought this car on March 2019. I needed an clutchless small car, and the new Santro had better AMT response compared to other cars that I had TD'd, and also that Hyundai offered much better exchange value for my old car.
I had test driven the Santro AMT and agree with you that it was the smoothest AMT in comparison with Maruti and Tata ones. But I did notice several people reporting issues on the Santro thread on this forum at 7-8K of running. So, I hope you are on warranty and have extended warranty in your pocket to ensure the replacements/repair are done at no cost to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket here but this is the exact reason I would never buy an AMT transmission car (whether its Hyundai/Maruti or any other brand). The AMT transmissions are inherently unreliable and have been brought into India since most buyers have no clue about a torque converter automatic and an AMT.
I agree with you partially, the volume of failures on AMT is higher as compared to other automatics. But if the need is an economical car for city driving then only an AMT is available at a given budget. So people need to support an AMT with Warranty/Extended Warranty to ensure they get hassle free fixes when things do go wrong. To me AMT feels like a "known devil" which can be managed with the right expectation and backing of a warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I went ahead with my purchase of Swift AMT and have absolutely no complaints. The AMT technology is tried and tested and is by no means inferior. I would not hesitate to purchase another AMT from Maruti. All the talk about jerkiness, lack of reliability etc. seem over the top.
Again, I agree with you partially being the owner of an Ignis AMT, I have faced no issues in the 3+ years of ownership and I use the Ignis majorly in heavy traffic. But then again, people who have bought Celerio AMTs have suffered the maximum with many cases of reported failures - so would not go to the extent of calling it a safe bet.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 12th February 2021 at 12:46.
vsrivatsa is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:46   #22

My wife has a Santro AMT 2019. We have been driving this car for 12k kms and it has not given us any troubles whatsoever. We have travelled to Manali too and it was a charm driving it in difficult traffic condition. I am very impressed with the AMT and my wife loves the car. What happened to you was unfortunate. But these troubles can happen to any automatics not AMT per se.
RachMath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After today's incident, i am really worried. Since I have only one car I have to even take it on long distance trips, and that too with family. I have no faith now in Hyundai ASS people and seriously doubt that they will be able to find a solution tomorrow. If anyone in the community has some suggestions, please help.
AMT issue seems to be related with the gear shift sensor at the base of the shift-stick to me. Ask the ASC to check & replace this unit. In case of such issues that are hard to reproduce every-time, fixes tend to be a bit of a trial and error & you'll need to have patience.

As for the car suddenly going dead - do you have any after-market electric accessories added into the car? Anything - parking camera / additional lights / different music system / horn replacement / DRLs etc? If yes - typical issue is an earthing bolt left slightly loose by the electrician. All such grounding points would have to be checked as a first investigation.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
For me, it looks like brakes sensor issue or Software issue.

If Brakes sensor do not work properly, then ECU assumes brakes are not applied and hence does not allow gear to move from R or N to D. Since the issue is not reproduceable, there might be lose connection with sensors OR it might be software issue.

Second issue is not related to first one (everything going off). Mostly, It is battery issue. This is how car starts showing up the low battery symptoms.

Check the battery voltage and manufacturing date. If it is 4 years are more, you may need to replace battery.
I second this. Also, the door sensor needs to be checked. AMTs does not shift if it believes that the door is /are? open
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 18:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket here but this is the exact reason I would never buy an AMT transmission car (whether its Hyundai/Maruti or any other brand). The AMT transmissions are inherently unreliable and have been brought into India since most buyers have no clue about a torque converter automatic and an AMT.
I honestly feel this is an over-exaggeration. And I can tell you that from my two years and 20K+ ownership of a Swift AMT. All the hoopla (head bobbing, slowness, jerkiness, etc.) around AMT is pure absurdity - almost everything from people who do not own an AMT car. I honestly am not bothered by any such so called "annoyances". Heck, I rather enjoy the drive than focussing on when and in what gear the car is in and whether or not my turbo is spooling and in the boost zone etc. To how many % of the crowd does these even matter? In normal driving conditions it shifts just as good as a MT would, infact shifts better than 99.5% of the "aam janta" would in a MT and frees me from everything an automatic (cough. cough. ahem!) is supposed to do. And for the so called enthusiasts simply put the car on 'M' and have fun with the sportiness. The icing on the cake is the lack of rubber-band effect!
kpkeerthi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 18:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the update after visiting Hyundai workshop yesterday:
If you read through my post about this (almost similar) AMT issue, (Alto K10 AMT problem: Gearbox moving to 'N' unexpectedly) you will notice that a lot of things are very common:
  1. Problem is not reproducible
  2. It happens at random - there is no set pattern.
  3. SA offers only "hope" - Try and run it now, lets see if it happens again type of responses

So TL;DR - The issue with my Alto K10's AMT was most probably something to do with electrical couplings or fitments (plugs and connections basically) which caused the issue. Its not happened* again on my car till now - so I can say with a conditions-apply asterisk (* - as my confidence level with this issue is not 100% yet!), that AMTs are very hard to manage in bumper to bumper heavy traffic as the clutch slipping happens almost constantly to compensate for the slow moving traffic. Add to it, the manufacturers will mostly program the "shifts" to happen early so that the fuel efficiency looks better. Plus, you should also consider the terrible low end of these puny 1L engines which need some coaxing to get moving (aka torque-ing ). This is the worst possible combination for an AMT gearbox.

So, coming back to your issue here, I'm pretty certain its something to do with the software or electrical components that link the ECU/TCU and the gearbox. Also, someone else mentioned about door sensors - that's a very very valid point too. The AMT on my Alto wont "crawl" even in 1st gear when the driver door is ajar / not shut fully. However, gently pressing the A pedal in such cases will move the car, albeit suddenly. Its a safety feature but scary (for someone who doesn't know this feature/bug) nonetheless!

Also looks like the second service center you visited did their homework well. If I were you, I'd keep them updated every 250-500km (until there are no further issues for at least the next 5000km) and make sure this issue is logged and tracked in the car's service history. You could visit them so many times that everyone at the center would be very alert and aware of your issue history when you arrive!
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 09:17   #27
BHPian

Thank you guys for so many suggestions!! Indeed team-bhp is the best online community ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
May I suggest you try a different service center this time (I am aware that you went to a different one recently), a friend of mine (who owns an i20) recommends Oja Hyundai, Basistha. Apparently they are better (than the other ones) when it comes to solving difficult issues.
Oja Hyundai, Basistha was exactly where I had taken the car earlier. This time I took it to their Noonmati centre, which is much smaller in comparison. Experience was relatively better here, and the matter was treated earnestly this time, as I had mentioned in my latest update (Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I had test driven the Santro AMT and agree with you that it was the smoothest AMT in comparison with Maruti and Tata ones. But I did notice several people reporting issues on the Santro thread on this forum at 7-8K of running. So, I hope you are on warranty and have extended warranty in your pocket to ensure the replacements/repair are done at no cost to you.
Yes, Santro AMT does feels butter smooth (by AMT standards) when compared to other AMTs. And yes, the dealer had already given me free 4th year extended warranty at the time of purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
As for the car suddenly going dead - do you have any after-market electric accessories added into the car? Anything - parking camera / additional lights / different music system / horn replacement / DRLs etc?
No aftermarket fitments at all. Plain stock car as far as electricals go. (Have done some custom wrapping, looks cool. Will post photos in some other relevant thread for you guys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saum1230 View Post
Finally it turned out that getting the battery terminals cleaned was enough to fix it. Worth a try!
The service centre guys did that too. That issue will not re-occur, they said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
@BhaskarGoswami: Do you use the handbrake to aid a hill-start?
No hills in my area as such. I have taken the car to nearest hill stations, but not frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I second this. Also, the door sensor needs to be checked. AMTs does not shift if it believes that the door is /are? open
Santro doesn't have that feature. I double checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
If you read through my post about this (almost similar) AMT issue, (Alto K10 AMT problem: Gearbox moving to 'N' unexpectedly) you will notice that a lot of things are very common:

Also looks like the second service center you visited did their homework well. If I were you, I'd keep them updated every 250-500km (until there are no further issues for at least the next 5000km) and make sure this issue is logged and tracked in the car's service history. You could visit them so many times that everyone at the center would be very alert and aware of your issue history when you arrive!
Agreed. Lots of things are common. I too thought that way. But the previous service centre ruled heating issue after extensively driving in city traffic for few days. Also, no related logs were found.

I checked. They have made the service log entry:
Attached Thumbnails
Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT-screenshot_20210213_001624.jpg  

BhaskarG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:26   #28
BANNED

This AMTs and DCTs are having tons of problems, precisely with electricals and hydraulics. It cannot be resolved easily because correlation and causation between each parts. Just fight for "Complete transmission replacement" otherwise you may end up in loses. This will occur again and it may worsen by age.
hamhaj16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 07:28   #29
BHPian

Go through this thread and find if there are any similar issues faced by other Bhpians

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Also share your experience and solution (once resolved) for the benefit of other BHPians in the above mentioned thread

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 14th February 2021 at 07:31. Reason: Rephrasing
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 00:50   #30

Quote:
This is my first post in team-bhp. I own a Santro AMT Sportz (MY 2019), and I think that I should share my horror story with you guys.

I bought this car on March 2019. I needed an clutchless small car, and the new Santro had better AMT response compared to other cars that I had TD'd, and also that Hyundai offered much better exchange value for my old car.

Now coming to the issues. Let me go chronologically:

1. After one month itself, there was an irritatting rattling sound from the body. It was fortunately fixed by the dealership after 2-3 visits to the workshop. This was a relatively small issue compared to what was to come.

2. On entering 2nd year of ownership, the second issue cropped up. I was taking a U-turn in a narrow street, and had to reverse a little to make the complete turn. I felt a subtle jerk at that moment. And now the car refused to go into Drive mode from R. Whatever I do, the car remained at N for a good 40 minutes. It was almost midnight and I was stranded in the middle of the road. Fortunately, it slotted into D after 40 minutes and I could drive back home.
Visited Hyundai Workshop next day and they could not diagnose anything in their system diagnostic software. Told me to come back if the behavior is repeated. ( Can you believe it??)

3. This issue occured once more 3 months ago. This time I was 100kms away from home. Still Hyundai ASS could find no solution because I could not reproduce the issue at the workshop. They kept the car for some days, drove it and finished my tank of petrol, but still nothing. I then contacted the GM of the dealership, but all sweet talk and no solution.

4. Today during my drive back from work, a new issue cropped up. The car was crawling at very slow speed in bumper to bumper evening traffic. All of a sudden, the car went DEAD. Literally. The engine was off, headlights went off, ICE was off, and the car did not respond any ignition input from the key. It behaved as if there was no battery in the car. After about 3 minutes, the car came back to life. The lights turned on, speedometer console tuned on, and the car responded to ignition. I drove off from the traffic and inspected the battery connections. All well and good. To me it felt like the car software restarted in the middle of the road.

After today's incident, i am really worried. Since I have only one car I have to even take it on long distance trips, and that too with family. I have no faith now in Hyundai ASS people and seriously doubt that they will be able to find a solution tomorrow.

If anyone in the community has some suggestions, please help.
This can be due to following issue.
1) sensor in accelerator gone bad.( i faced this issue in another AMT - Car used to go dead with even wheels locked creating traffic jam. It used to start after a whole as if nothing happened. Was not able to recreate the issue . Finally it was attributed to sensor. Once changed, it never occured again.
2) Petrol quality really matters a lot in AMT car, little adulteration and you have extremely jerky ride which already is jerky .
Steer-safe is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed