Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 23:17   #1
BHPian

Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT

This is my first post in team-bhp. I own a Santro AMT Sportz (MY 2019), and I think that I should share my horror story with you guys.

I bought this car on March 2019. I needed an clutchless small car, and the new Santro had better AMT response compared to other cars that I had TD'd, and also that Hyundai offered much better exchange value for my old car.

Now coming to the issues. Let me go chronologically:

1. After one month itself, there was an irritatting rattling sound from the body. It was fortunately fixed by the dealership after 2-3 visits to the workshop. This was a relatively small issue compared to what was to come.

2. On entering 2nd year of ownership, the second issue cropped up. I was taking a U-turn in a narrow street, and had to reverse a little to make the complete turn. I felt a subtle jerk at that moment. And now the car refused to go into Drive mode from R. Whatever I do, the car remained at N for a good 40 minutes. It was almost midnight and I was stranded in the middle of the road. Fortunately, it slotted into D after 40 minutes and I could drive back home.
Visited Hyundai Workshop next day and they could not diagnose anything in their system diagnostic software. Told me to come back if the behavior is repeated. ( Can you believe it??)

3. This issue occured once more 3 months ago. This time I was 100kms away from home. Still Hyundai ASS could find no solution because I could not reproduce the issue at the workshop. They kept the car for some days, drove it and finished my tank of petrol, but still nothing. I then contacted the GM of the dealership, but all sweet talk and no solution.

4. Today during my drive back from work, a new issue cropped up. The car was crawling at very slow speed in bumper to bumper evening traffic. All of a sudden, the car went DEAD. Literally. The engine was off, headlights went off, ICE was off, and the car did not respond any ignition input from the key. It behaved as if there was no battery in the car. After about 3 minutes, the car came back to life. The lights turned on, speedometer console tuned on, and the car responded to ignition. I drove off from the traffic and inspected the battery connections. All well and good. To me it felt like the car software restarted in the middle of the road.

After today's incident, i am really worried. Since I have only one car I have to even take it on long distance trips, and that too with family. I have no faith now in Hyundai ASS people and seriously doubt that they will be able to find a solution tomorrow.

If anyone in the community has some suggestions, please help.

Last edited by BhaskarG : 9th February 2021 at 23:57. Reason: Refined the language.
BhaskarG is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 06:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 07:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT

For me, it looks like brakes sensor issue or Software issue.

If Brakes sensor do not work properly, then ECU assumes brakes are not applied and hence does not allow gear to move from R or N to D. Since the issue is not reproduceable, there might be lose connection with sensors OR it might be software issue.

Second issue is not related to first one (everything going off). Mostly, It is battery issue. This is how car starts showing up the low battery symptoms.

Check the battery voltage and manufacturing date. If it is 4 years are more, you may need to replace battery.

Last edited by gkveda : 10th February 2021 at 07:11.
gkveda is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 08:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliability issues with my Hyundai Santro AMT

From some of the reviews I've read here on Hyundai/Kia cars, there is a master switch on the fuse box. Do check if its acting up. Also; check all the fuses are slotted in and secure.

Check if the battery terminals are secure on the battery end and vehicle ground. I know you've done this but not sure if it was just a visual inspection.

I don't know much about AMT's. It is worth taking a video when the car refuses to move. Show evidence of the gear selector being in Drive, console indication for D or Drive, engine revs increasing and no movement.
sandeepmohan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 08:30   #5
BHPian

Sorry to be a wet blanket here but this is the exact reason I would never buy an AMT transmission car (whether its Hyundai/Maruti or any other brand). The AMT transmissions are inherently unreliable and have been brought into India since most buyers have no clue about a torque converter automatic and an AMT. Sales people also try to sell AMT cars to customers saying they are automatics (my neighbour was also fooled into buying a Maruti WagonR AMT and had no clue that it was not a true automatic). Additionally, AMT transmissions cost wise are inherently cheaper to produce than torque converter automatics which are very reliable.

With regards to the contact and fuses, check each component connector also. I had an issue with my i10 after change the AC foam within the dashboard that the Airbag warning light stayed continuously on. The Hyundai guy just removed the center console and reconnected the airbag module connector. After that everything is fine now.

Last edited by motorguy : 10th February 2021 at 08:31.
motorguy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 09:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Second issue is not related to first one (everything going off). Mostly, It is battery issue. This is how car starts showing up the low battery symptoms.

Check the battery voltage and manufacturing date. If it is 4 years are more, you may need to replace battery.
Thank you so much. The battery is factory fitted one and is 24 months old. Car fires up in the first crank.

What worries me is that the car stopped responding when I was in gear and moving. This could have serious consequences if there had been fast traffic behind me.
BhaskarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 09:59   #7
BHPian

The first issue about the gear change -
I agree with gkveda. It might be a brake sensor issue.
In my Nano to I have noticed this issue at times.
Also, on a few occasions I have noticed that if I apply a slight pressure on the gear lever, the gears do change. For e.g. if I want to reverse my car, I apply the brake, and slot the gear lever in R. The display still shows 1 though. At such time, if I apply a slight pressure on the gear lever in the R direction, the gear box obliges. You might want to try that once, if not done already.

For the second issue -
It might be a fuse related issue or a battery issue. Do you have any additional device connected? Dashcam, higher wattage lights etc. Which draw power from battery?
In my case, the dashcam cause the battery to run dry. Had to get it charged. Since then no issues.

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 10th February 2021 at 10:16.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarGoswami View Post
1. I was taking a U-turn in a narrow street, and had to reverse a little to make the complete turn. I felt a subtle jerk at that moment. This issue occured once more 3 months ago.

2. The car was crawling at very slow speed in bumper to bumper evening traffic. All of a sudden, the car went DEAD. After about 3 minutes, the car came back to life.
Unfortunate and weird.
The told me to come back is standard workshop speak when they have no clue about the issue regardless of manufacturer and AMT issues will most likely need someone from the HQ to be called in.

I have never driven an AMT before but I am approaching this from a systems point of view, so please bear with my stupid questions :
  1. Is it possible that while engaging reverse the car wasn't completely stopped and that caused an anomaly ? This can be easily tested and ruled out. Also was there any bank on the road when it happened ? either when going to R or D.
    When it happened again was it the same case of going into R while making a U-turn ?
    IIRC one of my friends had a Peugeot 207 AT(not an AMT) stuck in the 1st gear. The issue boiled down to a faulty sensor in the transmission system but can't recall exactly.
  2. You are right seems like a system-reboot. Check for any loose electricals/fuses.
    If the dealer is clueless ask them first and if they cannot resolve it contact Hyundai directly.
    They'll need someone specialized for troubleshooting this.

Last edited by shancz : 10th February 2021 at 12:42. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 14:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
At such time, if I apply a slight pressure on the gear lever in the R direction, the gear box obliges. You might want to try that once, if not done already.
I tried it on both occasions when the issue happened. Did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Do you have any additional device connected? Dashcam, higher wattage lights etc. Which draw power from battery? .
I do not have any other aftermarket fitment except for a USB charger plugged in to the power socket.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post

I have never driven an AMT before but I am approaching this from a systems point of view, so please bear with my stupid questions :

1. Is it possible that while engaging reverse the car wasn't completely stopped and that caused an anomaly ? This can be easily tested and ruled out. Also was there any bank on the road when it happened ? either when going to R or D.
When it happened again was it the same case of going into R while making a U-turn ?
I tried all of the above in an attempt to reproduce the issue. Seems that it happens out of the blue, and always accompanied by a jerk (like stalling a manual car). It is to be noted that there was no stress in the engine in both instances (no inclination, bumps, too high or low revs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
If the dealer is clueless ask them first and if they cannot resolve it contact Hyundai directly.
They'll need someone specialized for troubleshooting this.
I tried reaching Hyundai via the email IDs given in the website. Nobody responded. Let me try to get some other email ID this time.
Old 11th February 2021, 16:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket here but this is the exact reason I would never buy an AMT transmission car (whether its Hyundai/Maruti or any other brand). The AMT transmissions are inherently unreliable and have been brought into India since most buyers have no clue about a torque converter automatic and an AMT. Sales people also try to sell AMT cars to customers saying they are automatics (my neighbour was also fooled into buying a Maruti WagonR AMT and had no clue that it was not a true automatic). Additionally, AMT transmissions cost wise are inherently cheaper to produce than torque converter automatics which are very reliable.
I went ahead with my purchase of Swift AMT and have absolutely no complaints. The AMT technology is tried and tested and is by no means inferior. I would not hesitate to purchase another AMT from Maruti. All the talk about jerkiness, lack of reliability etc. seem over the top.
kushagra452 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried reaching Hyundai via the email IDs given in the website. Nobody responded. Let me try to get some other email ID this time.
Check if your dealer can contact someone in Hyundai for any assistance. If not then also check your manual, usually contacts and service details area wise are mentioned in the last few pages.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 16:23   #13
BHPian

Here is the update after visiting Hyundai workshop yesterday:

I took my car to a different workshop this time, because the last one could not find anything. This is relatively smaller workshop near my office. I directly contacted the GM over phone. He redirected the mater to the workshop manager. The manager is a polite young person and he listened to everything professionally. Took 3-4 hours time for a team of 4 mechanics to come to a "conclusion" about the issues. I was present for the full duration.

Regarding power failure: The guys did not take much time to find out the defect that had caused power failure while driving. Seems like a faulty connector somewhere. I have been assured that that issue will not re-occur. Fingers crossed!!

Regarding the AMT issue: There went a lot of trial and error troubleshooting for the AMT issue. The manager contacted some technical expert from HQ over phone and was personally looking after the matter. The biggest problem was that it is not reproduce-able.
  • They checked for any sensor-actuator issues with their diagnostic tools. They actuated the actuators via software simutaltion, and it was a interesting thing to know for me. No issues detected.
  • They checked for error logs, and found one. I do not remember what the log was, but the manager told me that it was not related to the issue.
  • They lifted the car up and checked for mechanical issues (checked the gear oil, as far as I understood). Found OK.
  • They took apart connectors to sensors and actuators, cleaned them and reinstalled. They say that this should solve the problem. Let us see.

The manager assured that he has noted down everything, and will escalate the matter to the higher level. Also told me to drive for 500kms and bring the car back. Hopefully they find some solution by the time.

I told him that driving 500 kms is okay, but what is the assurance that the car will not break down again in middle of nowhere? However, he had no answer to that and said that hopefully everything will be okay. Did not want to un-fruitfully press anymore, and so brought the car back.

So far, so good.
BhaskarG is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 17:30   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the update. I'm subscribing to the thread as we're in the market for an AMT and Santro's on the list of potential purchases.

I'm guessing that whatever connector was causing the power failure was also causing AMT issues. Let us know how the upcoming days roll by!
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 19:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding power failure: The guys did not take much time to find out the defect that had caused power failure while driving. Seems like a faulty connector somewhere. I have been assured that that issue will not re-occur. Fingers crossed!!

Regarding the AMT issue: There went a lot of trial and error troubleshooting for the AMT issue. The manager contacted some technical expert from HQ over phone and was personally looking after the matter. The biggest problem was that it is not reproduce-able.

However, he had no answer to that and said that hopefully everything will be okay. Did not want to un-fruitfully press anymore, and so brought the car back.
Power failure : the cause makes sense, I had a feeling that this might be due to some loose connection my worse fear was that the connection fault could be in a PCB but thankfully not. I believe that issue shouldn't recur.
Check out the linked post (don't go by the title, read the post by lurker), this is exactly like your power failure and the cause was loose battery connections. So I am confident that your power-failure is fixed for good.
post (2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car).

AMT issue : its a tricky one, but this service-center seems good, they're proactive and honest. This is what is expected of a service center. I don't expect them to know every bit of info but at least they're following up and its just a matter of time when your issue gets solved. At least its not as serious as the power failure.

Finding a good service center is a feat in itself these days so please accept my humble Congrats
And positively take the car to them after 500kms most likely they would like to see the logs for this time and see if/which errors they have. Will help in solving your issue for good.

Last edited by shancz : 11th February 2021 at 20:04. Reason: merged for ease
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed