Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 13:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Of rain and the universal air filter

Umm...how safe is it to run unversal K&Ns and Ractives during heavy rainfall?
Old 20th April 2007, 13:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you got a cold-air intake behind the bumper, very bad.
Old 20th April 2007, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Got mine exactly where the stock filter used to be
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...?do=big&p=3111

Would driving slow over puddles help or is water going to get into the engine bay anway?Solutions??
Old 20th April 2007, 18:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

What to do...leave it as it is OR revert to stock??
Old 20th April 2007, 19:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

binz, the location where you have installed is where the oem filter also takes in the air. if you have a closed cold air intake installed lately it is not recommended for rains. if you have a open kind of air intae arrangement you can use it in rains.
Old 20th April 2007, 20:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
If you got a cold-air intake behind the bumper, very bad.
My Elantra comes "stock" with a cold air intake, ending behind the bumper. Have posted a picture I had, and with my rather naive attempt at marking the air flow path. And I really never had trouble driving at high speeds through hard rain.

Only once did I get into trouble while wading through water, but then, the water was at the level of the bonnet! Dont think a well designed cold air intake would get you into trouble, unless of course, you are wading through water, and the water level is above your air intake opening.
Old 20th April 2007, 21:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post

Dont think a well designed cold air intake would get you into trouble, unless of course, you are wading through water, and the water level is above your air intake opening.

Damn right. Its got to be well designed. Most aftermarket fitters are monosyllabic abt these things, unfortunately. Knowing you, I'm sure that Pete's Box and FFE were also was "stock" fitments on your Elantra.

@Binz: If I were you, the easiest thing to do during the rains is to go back to a stock filter. Else get that tubing redesigned

Last edited by theMAG : 20th April 2007 at 21:48.
Old 20th April 2007, 22:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Okay,..Next question:
Running a stock air filter with a port job and a free flow?
Old 20th April 2007, 22:50   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Stop cribbing .. Run it as it is .. Torrential rains in goa and elsewhere hasnt caused any harm to my engine nor the filter .. Nor anyones that I am aware of .. Unless you have a leaky bonnet or running one of those vents on the bonnet ..
Old 20th April 2007, 23:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ask nitrous about what happened after a team-bhp meet in the rain. He has a Ractive conical filter which was almost submerged & he still made it.
Old 20th April 2007, 23:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

small puddles and drops falling onto the filter wont cause issue but yes avoid getting them completely wet
Old 21st April 2007, 00:30   #12
BHPian

A long story from a Tiburon Forum - Oh crap... The Hydrolock CAI Weird Plugs Puddle Thread - Page 2 - NewTiburon.com Forums

Mike: I can't believe you are using that pipe as your CAI.

Plash: Shut up dude, it works doesn't it? And besides it makes my car sound hawt!

Mike: *blinks* No comment, anyway lets get the hell out of here. We've got that STL meet to go to and i wanna stop by jack in the box. I hear they have taco's 4 for a dollar today.

Plash: TACOS!!!

(Mike and Plash enter the tibby)

Plash: vrrooOOOMMMMM!!!!

Mike: Will you quit making that sound already! We are already running late and everytime we get in the car you make that noise with your mouth.

Plash: Yes but one day i will have my engine mimiced perfectly. Practice makes perfect you know. (Plash starts the car)

(45 minutes and 27 tacos later......)

Mike: Ok bro be carefull with all this rain we have had lately it has been flooding everywhere so watch out for puddles.

Plash: Hmmph. Shows how much you know about tibs. Don't you know that Tiburon means shark in spanish? This car was made for puddle hopping.

Mike: YOUR AN IDIOT! Damn it man i can't take you anywhere. *** is that another open beer in your hand while driving?

( The road begins to dip down and a rather large pool of water sits in the middle of it under a bridge)

Mike: Dude go left we can't make it through that.

Plash: Sure we can. And with my new CAI we even stand a better chance now that my shark car has a true under water breathing device! It doesn't just suck up and spit out air, it also works with water since it is a shark you know and my...errr ummm well n/m that.

(Plash tosses his remaining half eaten taco out the window, grips the steering wheel tightly as his knuckles turn white and waits for the light to turn green.)

Mike: ummm dude? For once in your life for the love of god plz listen to me and don't do it.

Plash: Shut up biatch, it's go time. (Plash reaches into the side door pocket and pulls out his racing goggles and an elf hat. With his racing gear on he eagerly awaits the moment the light turns green.)

Mike: Dude is that the elf hat that your ...

Plash: VRRROOOMMMM!!! (light turns green)

Mike: OMG ***!!! NOOO !!!

Plash: It's ok we are going fast enough to gingerly glide right over the top of the water. We have the power of a hyundai V6 after all!!!!

(The tibby slams nose first into the lake of water as the homemade CAI drinks it up gulp after gulp)

Plash: My plan is working perfectly, listen to that intake swallow the water as if it is a school of little fishies!! vrrooOOMMM!!!!

Mike: BAIL OUT!

(Suddenly the car makes a horrid scream as it tries to gasp for one final breath of air. It fights for it's life untill it dies out completely and black smoke fills the air.)

Mike: dude....your a dumbass.

Plash: No way dude it's not my fault. The warranty better cover this i mean come on the car is advertised as being a shark yet it can't handle the water Has to be a defect...has to be.....

Anyway, that's how it goes from the way i have heard ppl tell it. Just figured i would share the tale while on the topic of hydrolocking.

Hydrolock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry guys for the long post, could not resist...
Old 21st April 2007, 01:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Stock location on a Baleno is safe. Have seen Elantras with busted turbos and 3 lakh bills from 2 feet of water.
Old 21st April 2007, 01:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

There are Dry chargers available for the K&N filters which are pretreated to repel water.Its kind of a coverin which does not allow water to enter your air filter.It is a silicone treated, polyester wrap. It contains uniform micron sized openings that allow optimum air flow.Due to the Drychargers silicone treated polyester wrap the amount of water that reaches the air filter is restricted.
Obviously u cant go scuba diving with your car with the drycharger on but little tits and tats of water that might enter the filter wont enter.
Cheers!!
Old 9th February 2008, 03:57   #15
BHPian

cold air intake

hey guys im planning to put a cold air intake in my accent but i have heard that it gives problems in the rains as in it sucks in water, is that true?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks