Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Wipers : Traditional or Frameless (from all perspectives)?
Traditional 94 40.69%
Frameless 137 59.31%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Should I pay more for frameless wipers?

I dont think Frameless wipers are costlier than traditional stuff.

For example, I found some for my Aspire at a decently cheap rate.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4906182 (Ford Aspire : Official Review)

It is working as expected but being cheap, yes some time it skips and makes some noise but then again, that's not because its frameless but I guess may be because they are some from some cheap brand.

May be next time, I would try some better branded frameless stuff.

Thanks.
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:08   #17
BHPian

I have tried my hands on frameless as well traditional ones from the third party like Bosch for my earlier car but nothing has provided the durability of OEM`s one which in my case was from Motorcraft. OEM ones are slightly expensive for sure but it does the job without any issues. Since then I am sticking with my OEM whenever the replacement is due.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 23rd February 2021 at 12:09.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:07   #18
BHPian

Voted Frameless, solely for the aesthetic factor. I had changed the Stock wiper around 30000km, and now am on my 3rd set after 65000km in the 3rd year. I think life has been less because I never went with a properly branded one so far. Surely next time!

Should I pay more for frameless wipers?-img_20201226_131929.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:08   #19
BHPian

I am too particular when it comes to Wipers for my car. My car came with the frame wipers from the factory. One day, when it was raining heavily, the rubber part of the wiper skipped the frame and the metal part contacted the windshield while wiping at the high speed. It left a permanent curve mark on the glass .

I switched to 3M Performance Pro frameless, and now on the second set. They are on the expensive side but as the name suggests, the performance is awesome. No sounds or squeaks, clean wipe, silent operation. I am completely satisfied.
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:41   #20
BHPian

Honda service centers typically just replace the blade in the wiper when it wears out, instead of replacing the entire wiper. Any idea where we can get just the blades too?
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:06   #21
BHPian

Although aesthetically, i like frameless wipers but, i've had low success in using them. I went through 3 pairs of Frameless wipers in a year because they stopped performing after a while (twice went for a brand called galeo then, Bosch) on my VW vento. Was very unimpressed with the performance and they started leaving streaks just a few weeks in. Changed back to traditional blades from VW and lasted 2 years without any hiccups.

For me, wiper looks are too small an aesthetic to go through all the trouble of replacing and sourcing them (branded) outside. Stick to OEM and they last real long even though they can be expensive, they're worth the headaches they save you.

Frameless wipers set (front) at Skoda are a cool 4k. (only parts)
Schneller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Been using frameless for the past 2-3 years and haven't felt the need to change even the first set ever since I bought it. While my car isn't parked in sun all day long but frameless seem to be more robust and their cleaning ability is definitely a notch above.

I've used them in heavy snow also and they've performed a lot better than traditional wipers which seemed to only work good for 1 season.
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:23   #23
BHPian

Voted for frameless wiper. My new Ford endeavour is nearing 4 years and the frameless wiper is good to keep going. I have ended up changing normal wiper almost every alternate year for Maruti, Hyundai and Honda. In normal wiper, Toyota stands out. Its not just about how long it last but how smoothly it wipes. Toyota normal wiper in my Fortuner worked like charm- no sound even if it operated dry. The engineering marvel lies in design pressure it is suppose to exert on the windscreen. I have struggled to copy the same on my Hyundai but not good enough even after repeated adjustment and change by Hyundai ASC.

For chauffeur driven cars or for car owned by not so enthusiastic person I would always recommend frameless as the owner may not be in a position to check the condition of wiper and same can be seen by wiper marks on windscreens.

Last edited by Wanderers : 23rd February 2021 at 16:26.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

In my Swift I had a unique set up with frameless blade for driver's side and regular/standard for passenger side. Frameless was better in wiping water and also looked good. Frameless wiped it all clear under heavy rain unlike regular ones. Hardly one experiences very heavy rains, I experienced it when Vadodara witnessed flooding in July 2020. But for regular driving or what I am most likely to face in Gujarat, regular blades work well. Still I voted for Frameless, they are better any given day, may not be full of value quotient, but better in my view.
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:22   #25
BHPian

Voted for frameless.
My Figo had a traditional OEM wiper which needed replacement in a year. I replaced it with another OEM set which lasted for one more year. Then I switched to Bosch frameless wiper and I am happy with its performance from last two years. The price is ₹ 650/- that is 1.5X OEM traditional wiper set, so more than acceptable.
Technically, I think traditional wiper is pushed on the windscreen through four points applying point load, whereas frameless construction results in uniformly distributed pressure providing cleaner sweep throughout.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:28   #26
BHPian

I swapped my Baleno's OEM with TVS Frameless as that was the fastest shipment I could get before a trip. The frameless ones were cheaper than OEM, they make less noise and I don't notice them when I look at the car.

The performance is not really distinguishable between the two, but ease of installation is better on the frameless. I did try to get a pair of wiper blades without the frame, to fit the existing OEM frames, but the new blades did not have the grooves and would have sure fire been thrown away at highway speeds.

But I will fret Jereon's experience about high speed issues. I'm never going to be able do those speeds in the Baleno, but it is wise advice to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have used both on a variety of cars. I have found that the frameless are next useless at high speed. You go anywhere over 120-130 km / h and they just stop working all together. Those sort of speeds are still possible here in Europe.

So I am sticking to good old proper old fashioned wipers only.

Jeroen
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:27   #27
BHPian

Voted for traditional
Already said alot of times. But seriously, why one has to pay somewhere close to double the amount literally just for looks!
I have tried frameless twice, they don't last any longer and in my case less than the traditional one.

Last edited by vtecblast : 23rd February 2021 at 21:27. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 24th February 2021, 00:12   #28
BHPian

Switched to frameless after a year of ownership and didn’t look back.

Better looking, easy to clean, easy to replace and equivalent or better performance. So was not that hard of a choice for me.
Old 24th February 2021, 01:34   #29
BHPian

I have used frameless wipers. In general, the aesthetics and a wide swipe pattern are appealing.

However, during heavy rains when you need to operate wipers at full speed, in some occassions, the frameless ones malfunctioned. The wipers tend to exceed the swipe angle probably due to the extra flex. For that reason I have moved back to old school.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 03:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Why fix something that isn't broken? If there were significant advantages w.r.t safety, manufacturers would have used them in the first place to earn brownie points from governments.

It doesn't seem like you're having problems with regular wipers. Spend the 2x-3x price difference on more useful things like an additional carwash, car wax etc. These will show visually perceptible results and make your car's paint last longer.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th February 2021 at 03:16.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed