|View Poll Results: Wipers : Traditional or Frameless (from all perspectives)?|
|Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll|
| ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|24th February 2021, 04:20||#31|
Join Date: Jan 2016
Thanked: 1,327 Times
Re: Should I pay more for frameless wipers?
Paying approx. 70 to 100% more for a beam blade as compared to a conventional blade is well worth it however if the difference in price is 300% as has been mentioned by one of the forum members earlier and then maybe not.
I change my wiper blades every 8 to 10 months as a best practice and I have been using the beam blades for the last 16 years on all my cars and here's what I have observed:
1. Beam blades hug the contours of the windshield far better as compared to the conventional blades especially if the windshield is curved.
2. Beam blades have a cleaner wipe because there is uniform pressure on the blade across the length of the blade, unlike the conventional wiper blade where the frame is cantilevered at 6 or 8 select points. Because of this reason, beam blades are less likely to cause "streaking".
3. Beam blades are more aerodynamic and unlikely to experience "lifting" at high speeds as compared to conventional blades that have a superstruction on top of the frame.
4. I believe the quality of rubber in most of the beam blades is superior and uses compounds like Teflon or Silicone as compared to conventional blades. This is based upon my personal conservation as an end-user.
5. Last but not least; the aesthetic aspect though this may not be important to a lot of users. Would you like to see a conventional blade on your 3/5 series BMW? There's a reason beam blades come as standard fitment on most of the premium automotive OEMs.
Out of sheer curiosity, I looked up Bosch wiper blades on Amazon India. A pair of 20-inch conventional blades were priced at Rs 375 and a pair of the same size beam blades were retailing at Rs 590 so basically a difference of 57%; well worth in my opinion in view of the advantages.
Think of it; you're probably spending Rs 5,000 on a tank of gas (@Rs 100/ltr for a 50 ltr tank); a good pair of wiper blades would last a year, therefore, spending a couple of hundred bucks extra would be well worth it.
|The following BHPian Thanks Vikram Arya for this useful post:|