Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 16:14   #1

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions

Finally got my car. Shifted from MT to AT at the last moment due to my latest Innova AT ride exeperience to Darjeeling. The Aisin gearbox is fabulous. The 4x4 gearing too works without a hassle. Had to read the manual mutiple times to get a hang of it. When I got it the tyres were filled at around 60psi (crazy!!!) on all 4 and the thar was wobbling around like crazy. Now it drives like it should after adjustment. All was good until.

THE ROOF LEAKED (Hardtop variant) after the first car wash at home, the roof unit is divided. And there is a gap in the middle from where the water seeped inside and while the car did some turns it trickled onto my hand, happened twice during a 20 min ride (shocking!!!).

There is only one youtube video where the host talks about this issue and no one else has made a comment on it. I NEED advice on this embarrassing issue. Any help/suggestion/advice from members would be highly appreciated. Meanwhile I have sent the Thar back for the servive guys to take a look. I hope they have a solution for it. But I am doubtful as the whole thing is at a very early period plus I think mine is the second or third car in this small town :-(.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks
gobarboss is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:03   #2

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

(UPDATE) ROOF LEAK ISSUE ON HARDTOP LX.

The service folks at Mahindra put a thick layer of black silicone glue sealant to cover the whole mid roof slit and asked to wait 48 hrs until wash. And they have assured if it doesnt work they will rework the roof which honestly sounds scary to me. It looks like a rough job that I am ok with as of now. Time will tell how it holds. It is my humble request to members who are taking the deliveries to kindly look at their roofs too. It was quite an embarrasment for me. However, the transmission (no noise for a diesel; no initial clatter like on my XUV300) and practical features just compensate for everything else. FE figures are also encouraging at 11.8kmpl on AT. The brakes are excellent. No nose dive or sponginess. But, this roof leak issue should be addressed asap. It just kills the whole purpose of having a hardtop. And, one more thing I noticed is that they have now put protective caps on those exposed nuts at the back. The reverse camera is missed badly (the showroom doesnt have it still as an accesory). I got a false leather cover made for the sparewheel so that people don't treat it like a toy which I did not find in the accesory list here too. Cheers everyone. Apologies and gratitude to Mods for errors in the last post.
gobarboss is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:50   #3

(2nd Update) ROOF LEAK ISSUE

Hello members. Well, finally got my vehicle washed yesterday. And then took it on a ride to farm through broken village roads. And there was no leak. The roof is holding up well post-sealing. I don't know whether mine was a special case where there they forgot to factory seal the gaps lol. I am finally at peace with the vehicle or maybe not. Time will tell. This needs proper fix by team mahindra.
gobarboss is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Twitter user Nilesh bajaj tweeted this tagging me - apparently radiator fan malfunctioning caused this, and a new Thar was given as replacement.

I am not able to verify the details, does anyone know the background? While the original tweet has been deleted by Shivrattan Dhillon, there are replies that point to the issue and the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Question for anyone who's spent some time with the Thar, preferably owners, but anyone who’s sure really:

Given the luggage space constraints, I was wondering if anyone has put heavy luggage / suitcases by folding down one or both rear seats. Does it work. I am asking in particular because the seat seems to be hollow at the black covered by a basic cloth so am wondering if it will need some aftermarket internal bolstering to be able to take the weight of the luggage once placed on top of the folded seat. The cloth should not tear or something.
I have loaded my Thar with 2 full size, 1 mid size, and 2 cabin size luggage, plus 1 duffel bag and 3 or 4 smaller bags - drove 500 KM with that. I only ensured that the luggage is placed such that the load is on the edges of the seat, and not on the middle (soft) part. That's about it - and the Thar feels better planted on the road when fully loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by WemaKadphises View Post
Can any of the lucky owners elaborate on the back seat comfort? Can it be suitable for long journeys like 500km or so for the back seat riders?
The back seat itself is not a bad place for adults - what will be a bother is the feet space, if I may call it so. It is pretty constrained, and not exactly ergonomic as they will have either place their feet at an angle vs. the body, or sit with the knee up.

Best suited for kids - and if adults have to be there, let them be only for short distances (unless you are on a revenge mission, in which case they can't even escape easily from the back seat ).
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-tweet1.jpg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-tweetimg.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2021 at 12:44. Reason: Moving to new thread
ph03n!x is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:46   #5
BHPian

While i don't know much on the technical side. My Thar used to drag left at all any speed on leaving the steering even for few seconds. Also to go straight the steering had to be kept 5 degree on right side. I didn't notice this thing till my OCD came into action.

I thought about various reasons namely tyre pressure, alignment, balancing and steering calibration. PSI was perfect. My strong doubt was on steering calibration.

Thar was sent to the service team and issue was off centring of toe nut of tie rod. It wasn't properly aligned with the steering column. It was centered and steering re-calibrated. Now my Thar goes straight flawlessly at all speeds and steering is straight too.

Many Thar owners are posting regarding alignment/ balancing issues not being fixed even on multiple workshop visits. They might have the same problem as mine. I hope this helps.
SportsMedicine is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:22   #6
BHPian

At the outset my apologies for the super delayed update.
Cutting the long story short after my booking as an early bird-dealer causing fiasco-shifted Expected Delivery date-my twitter & Telephonic war with dealer & Mahindra officials I finally got my LX Diesel Hard Top Copper delivered as an new year gift to self on 01 JAN 2021. It was a swift and nice affair at the dealership with a small puja organised by them. In Spite of the problem at the dealership end the way they handled it and arranged to get me a vehicle with a marginal delay of 10 days is appreciable. My initial promised delivery was on 15 December 2020 and my vehicle was billed and registered on 24 December 2020 though I took physical delivery on 01 Jan 2021.

Now coming to the vehicle as has been told by all previous owner it was super smooth-refined-better handling & light years ahead in all aspects of creature comfort etc and it was indeed so. Having driven small hatches to buses-heavy trucks & everything inbetween I was comfortable hustling the baby around right from the word go & enjoyed the first 800 odd kms trouble free & then Mr. Murphy struck his magic.

At 800 kms I booked for 1st service with my dealer (160 kms away from my home) and started from at 6 am to reach by 9 am do the service & start my journey from Bhubaneswar to Jammu the very next day. But just about 60 kms from home vehicle went into limp mode and didn't accelerate past 60kmph. No warning light on- Nothing. Checked error codes - No Code. Super frustrated called up the service advisor & he as expected requested to get the vehicle to workshop for diagnostic & repair. So poor me did last 100 dd kms at 60 kmph like a super law abiding citizen FRUSTRATING all other highway users all the way & reached the workshop.

Now the agony deepens further. On connecting the diagnostic computer it shows no fault and no recorded error codes. So they decide to do a manual DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) & check and starts idling the jeep but even after 30 odd minutes couldn't achieve the conditions to start the process. (Engine Coolant temp got settled at about 60 degree centigrade which requires to be at 80 odd degrees for the ECU to permit start the DPF Regeneration).

So after multiple failed attempt they raise the issue to the regional technical team at Kolkata and quickly it got escalated to the factory team at Nasik Plant. The service advisor used to take reading and send it to the plant team and after 2-3 hours plant team used to direct what to do , again take readings and send for further diagnosis. After 2 frustrating das they zeroed on to a faulty COOLANT TEMP SENSOR costing mere Rs.356/- and ten minute repair job. It was changed on 3rd day and took a 100 km test drive followed by readout of soot deposit value in the DPF & all was normal. So my 6 hr 1st service got extended to 3 days agony but was happy that it was handled swiftly and with alacrity with a promise to be the vehicle absolutely fault free for my onward journey of 2500 kms.

Now on some retrospect I remembered noticing the temperature gauge at about 1/4th bar on the console where as most of my other vehicles it stays somewhere at1/3 or half bar and had thought good heat management. Where as after replacement of the coolant temp sensor it stayed steady at almost half bar value. So I would urge all new Diesel Thar owners to keep a eye on the engine temperature bar. The temperature needs to be higher than a certain value for the DPF to be getting cleaned. In my case the faulty sensor was reporting lower value to the ECU and hence the automatic DPF cleaning didn't take place resulting in high soot deposition & the DPF getting clogged ultimately and vehicle getting on to LIMP mode.

But its all good post the incident. I have covered about 5000 kms so far & the vehicle is behaving absolutely niggle free and am surely enjoying the baby.

Have planned some modifications-additions-deletion to make it suit my exact requirement. Shall be starting a ownership thread soon so more there. Till then Happy Miles.

Notice the temp bar gauge...this should be the general position
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_000.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_001.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_002.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_003.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_004.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_005.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_006.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_007.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_008.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_010.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_011.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-file_012.jpeg  

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2021 at 12:45. Reason: Moving to new thread
techfreak is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Caught this video on youtube of a Thar with busted lower trailing arm at the rear. The play in the arm and the tak tak noise means the rubber bush is no longer there and its hitting against the bolt, the bush probably shredded and fallen somewhere otherwise it won't go like this. The bush to fail like this is not normal for a new vehicle and might be a QC issue at the vendor side.

Watch @02:50

Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 20:54   #8
BHPian

On the recall for Camshaft issue I didn’t get a call but received this letter today. I had a word with my service supervisor couple of days back. On knowing that my vehicle has already run 5000km he mentioned “Sir had there been an issue it would have surfaced by now, you needn’t worry”.
Unsure still to take the vehicle for a check up or just wait n watch. I personally too not finding any issue....No power loss, no abnormal noise nothing. The vehicle behaving normally.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-0f4e04479f0747aa88656d26c29e30f1.jpeg  

techfreak is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 00:50   #9
BHPian

The Thar was delivered to me in November and it is the LX Diesel HT MT version. So, after having driven the Thar for more than 5000 kms across highways and North Sikkim in Winters, I was able to explore almost all the features that it comes with. So, I decided to put forward my views compiled together in 2 videos on my Youtube handle.

Firstly, my views keeping the following points on my mind:
1. Comfort (Highway, Offroad, Parents, 5 persons etc)
2.​ Mileage ( 2H 4H 4L )
3.​ Fuel Tank Range
4.​ Audio
5.​ Cabin Noise

And, then I listed the issues with solutions that I found. Many of the issues are definitely common and most of you would be aware of the same:
1. AFE Error
2. Completely Wrong AFE & Solution
3. Android Auto Connectivity & Solution
4. Horn Issue
5. Low Fuel Warning Issue
6. IRVM Issue & Solution (Thanks to ph03n!x for the solution)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I'm waiting for the DDPAI Mola E3
for
7. Glovebox Issue & Solution
8. Boot space Issue & Solutions
9. Cold Starting Issue & Solution
10. Thar Underbody Issue & Solution
11. Hardtop Leaking Issue
12. Bonnet Issue

OneLivingLife is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 17:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
My solution (or jugaad) to the flying bonnet problem.
Just saw a video in which the guy is saying Mahindra has come out with new bonnet locks and has been put in his Thar. You may want to check this with your dealer. The hook does not look very different in the pictures though.

Alternator was also replaced it seems, without any particular reason being told to the customer.
Sankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Here is another picture of the mentioned hood latch that is now replacing the old latches. Comparative pictures though are not available.

Atleast, M&M is quickly rectifying issues than turning a blind eye to them.
Yes. Below pictures are shared by my friend. Dealer has changed them when the car went in for the first service(1k)
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0475.jpg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0476.jpg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0477.jpg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0478.jpg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0479.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What is different between these new locks and the old ones? Both look the same. Would like to know what changed, so far haven't got an answer on this from any source.
My friend says the new one locks in place(may be more firmly)unlike the old one. Yes there seems to be no difference to the naked eye. Or the new one has an extra clip? Will try and get better comparable pictures.

Old one & New one
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0476.jpg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-img20210222wa0477.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2021 at 12:46. Reason: Moving to new thread
Bibendum90949 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Anyone faced this error? 'DEF Dosing malfunction error - E22' and any known resolution? a friend who has one of the first deliveries from BLR is facing this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-whatsapp-image-20210223-22.53.53-1.jpeg  

2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions-whatsapp-image-20210223-22.53.53.jpeg  

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2021 at 12:46. Reason: Moving to new thread
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 18:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Jaggu I was given to understand from an insider in a Bangalore dealership this is one of signals of a "wiring harness issue" - goes away once the "new harness' is put in
I got my LX CT Diesel on Saturday - after a drive of about 150 kms - the vehicle went into Limp mode

The dealer picked up the vehicle from my house on monday. Error code shown on the diagnostics was related to the injectors -

They have been advised by Mahindra to change the wiring harness. Its not in stock and they will do so once they get it in stock or at first service.
slicvic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:51   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions

Guys, keeping in mind the many niggles & problems of a car that was launched just a few months ago, we have to unfortunately create this new thread. Some BHPian posts have been copied here.

Big thanks to Dr. Naren for his suggestion & help in creating this thread .
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks