Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I am narrating my story which happened last Friday ,26th Feb, 2021 on my 2015 November Hyundai Creta Diesel Automatic.
Really sorry to read about your trouble. I hope you get a resolution quickly and amicably - within an honest budget. Good luck. Good to see that the ASC arranged for quick-pick up to workshop etc. No long waits there at least. At the same time - don't lose heart altogether. Its a machine. They fail some times. when we buy a car, we sign-up for that invisible risk that a small % of customers will face a mechanical failure. It can be us in the worst case.
Quote:
The car was just serviced a week back (Bill was approx 20k), we were doing only 100 though and through and the car wasn't even loaded.
How much had the car run after the service, before you took it out for this long drive? Often when such failures happen after a service, culprits are mistakes / errors in fitments during servicing by the mechanics. Every time after the service I personally inspect every little detail in the engine bay, part fitments, serviceable item installations and seals as much as possible, before I drive the car out from the workshop. I have 0 trust on ASC staff and their commitment to ensure 0 mistakes. I will not be hugely surprised if the root cause in your case was something to do with error in the service to be honest.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:29   #32
BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

This is really sad to hear! Hope your steed gets back on the road soon!

That said Hyundai cars aren't known for long term reliability (over 1 Lakh kms). This incident just builds on to that notion. They focus on all the bling and zing (read segment above features and good performance) but don't have the long term durability which the Japanese offer albeit at the cost of lower performance.
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to hear about it. Very unlikely that Hyundai will cover anything under warranty. I don't think is a timing chain failure as it'd be making a rattling noise throughout. I suspect the oil pump failed.

I don't know how competent Hyundai FNGs are with engine rebuilds, I'd take a chance with a used engine from a junkyard if I were you. If you're comfortable with the Hyundai FNG, try asking for a 2 year guarantee from Hyundai.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
This is really sad to hear! Hope your steed gets back on the road soon!

That said Hyundai cars aren't known for long term reliability (over 1 Lakh kms). This incident just builds on to that notion. They focus on all the bling and zing (read segment above features and good performance) but don't have the long term durability which the Japanese offer albeit at the cost of lower performance.
Not true at all.

Link (Long-term reliability of Hyundai's diesel engines)

Even consumer reports have ranked them just a point below Honda in United States for 2021. so among the most reliable car makers even with all the bling and zing.

We are yet to know the root cause in this case as to why the engine came to a hault like someone threw in a spanner.
Kosfactor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:51   #35
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This incident is shocking , but I'm glad there was no personal damage.

I own a June 2016 Creta SX CRDi Manual run 1.31 Lakh kms. Like you, i plan to retain the car till 200K kms and changed her shoes to Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/60 R17.

I'm currently at Hyundai Motor Plaza (HMP), Ekkaduthangal, Chennai for changing the lower arms and connecting rod of the car.

I showed this thread to my SA and he was surprised at this incident. According to him, he has never heard of such engine damage in a Creta.

My suggestion would be to tow the vehicle to Chennai and take it to your regular service center to access the damage and have it repaired. If required, i can ask my SA in HMP to give you a second opinion/have the car repaired.

I was planning to drive down to Mangalore next month, but this incident has sent shivers down my spine. In all probability, i will take my Fortuner again.

Hope to see your car back on the road and serving you for another 100K kms.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Not true at all.

Even consumer reports have ranked them just a point below Honda in United States for 2021. so among the most reliable car makers even with all the bling and zing.

We are yet to know the root cause in this case as to why the engine came to a hault like someone threw in a spanner.
Actually I dont think reliability ratings from USA can be applied to Hyundai's selling in India. The products are not the same, more importantly road conditions and the general environment is less harsh on the car than in India.

Second, the reliability ratings are mostly private buyers rather than fleet sales. In Australia for example, the mining industry swears by Toyota even though the survey's might say that the Ford Ranger is almost as reliable or that Amarok isnt much behind either. The fact is they did try Amarok's but they were reduced to junk in 2 years time while Toyota's go for a decade with just regular servicing. Skoda isnt considered to be an unreliable brand for example in the UK but that is not the case in India.

All said, if the car has been maintained at Hyundai for its life, the engine failure is premature indeed.
extreme_torque is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Not true at all.

I hope you are aware about the 1 million vehicles in the US where the engine could have failed (see below) highlighting their competency in "engine manufacturing" (read debris in the engine restricting oil flow to bearings) and proactiveness to address the issue.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...calls-74430341

Personally, I don't find manufacturing excellence and quality control to be their core strength. The brake issue in the Creta has been reported over many years now but Hyundai has taken no action over it. Even the newer gen suffers from it.

Also one can find Toyotas running just like new even after 3-5Lakh kms but rarely a Hyundai
sid_deb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly help me on finding a solution for the same. Its a lot of money and lot of hassle that we are being put through.
A little late to respond. Really an unfortunate incident while on the way to a happy holiday trip, hope you have got the car towed back to Chennai. 50k for towing is a hogwash. There should be better alternatives.

It is always suggested to get such major repairs done at an FNG or a service center nearest to the residence. They are easier to approach, post any major repair follow-ups.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 3rd March 2021 at 12:11.
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:05   #39

Hi ,

Sad to know that and I can relate to it.

Something similar happened to me in Jan 2020. I used to own Maruti Suzuki Ritz (VDI). It had clocked 1,05,000 KMs. Like you did for your Creta, I used to service my car through authorized service centers only. During my last servicing (at 1 lakh KMs) MS service advisor advised me to perform Engine's chain timing work. Rough estimation for that work was INR 17K. I though that the amount was little more and ignored it (and that was my mistake)

5k KM driving after that service my car broke. I was driving at at speed of 30 KM/Hrs in 2nd gear within city limits. I had to perform Engine overhaul and that costed me ~40,000 rupees. Even later there was diesel leakage issue popped up. So finally I sold my car and opted for BS6 Nexon Petrol.

The same could be reason for your car's failure. I would recommend you to get the work done. Since anyhow you will need your car up and running ASAP. Later either you can keep it or sell it.
ashish2nd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:44   #40
BHPian

It is sad to know about what happened, especially for a well-kept car.

As many suggested, you may consider bringing the car back to your place than keeping it at a faraway place. Speak to multiple transporting companies, I am sure you can bring down the cost of transportation substantially.

If the car is at your place, you will get a chance to get the car inspected by a third party FNG and also with your local Hyundai service centre. Listen to what they say and the cost, then to proceed. Let you be the judge.

Getting the work done at a faraway place may have more disadvantages than what you think.

After the completion of work, if the car still has some minor/major issues, then the local Hyundai dealer might not be of great help. Secondly, this is not a minor repair. This may have a great effect on how the car runs from now on. You'll have no clue how good/bad these guys work on your car. Due to whatever happens with service centres these days, it is hard to trust the service centres on most occasions.

Regardless of anything, please push to get a warranty officially from Hyundai for these repaired parts. Otherwise, it would be a pointless exercise to spend much money and getting it repaired at the service centres. You may definitely want to take a second opinion from an FNG or an expert mechanic.
You may even consider bringing one with you to the current workshop and inspect the car.

Finally, I was wondering whether you'll be able to claim insurance for such a repair?

At the end, you'll know what would be more comfortable for you to do. But if you are not planning to keep the car for another 5 years then do not invest a lot more money in it.
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:47   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

So why would that not work? Well, only if there is a blockage somewhere or a problem with the oil pump. So I would definitely get them to check the proper operating of the oil pump, relief valves etc. You might also want them to check the filter. A very dirty filter will open its internal relief valve and that is an indication of pretty bad oil contamination and can cause the oil pressure in the system to drop.
bingo, this is what struck my mind, as I was reading the first post. How hard is it, physically to access/remove the oil filter and replace it in the creta ? Some cars it's an extremely cumbersome job (yes, just oil filter change) in terms of dexterity of the hands. I would'n't be surprised if the service center just charged you for the filter but didnt actually replace. Or, it could be a case of them doing flush or something and dislodging a chunk of carbon debris from inside the engine, which ended up blocking the filter (like hair blocking the collander like drain cover in our bathroom). @arjunrudra, CHECK YOUR LAST SERVICE BILL FOR OIL FLUSH TREATMENT

Last edited by venkyhere : 3rd March 2021 at 14:49.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

At this point we do not know the cause, It is not common for Hyundai engines to throw a rod, its not common for ANY brand vehicles in the past few decades to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Actually I dont think reliability ratings from USA can be applied to Hyundai's selling in India. The products are not the same, more importantly road conditions and the general environment is less harsh on the car than in India.
Perception again.

In India too they are among the best, you can take a look at vehicle dependability study as well as Initial quality study, Hyundai is at the top.

Things could change once the latest studies come in, but so far they are holding up and without such data I certainly wont have a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
I hope you are aware about the 1 million vehicles in the US where the engine could have failed (see below) highlighting their competency in "engine manufacturing" (read debris in the engine restricting oil flow to bearings) and proactiveness to address the issue.
as we speak Toyota is under investigation for yet another recall - 1.9 million vehicles.

Perhaps you dont know that Toyota has recalled one of the highest number of vehicles over the years for ANY manufacturer, maybe behind ford in this number but certainly high up there. Their unintended acceleration issue has allegedly killed 89 people. Go ahead and look it up, the number of line items and the issues are staggering. Accelerator pedals, ECU, Brakes, valve springs, steering column.

Also we have a BHPian who had to get his Innova Crysta`s engine replaced as well under warranty. Does that mean Toyota is not good? Toyota has put all their recalls in Toyota Bharath website announcement section for their India models from Corolla to Glanza to Fortuner to Innova.

I dont want to take this thread anymore OT.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:46   #43

Terrible news on your Creta, OP. Being a Creta owner myself, I’ll admit I’m scared of facing such an issue myself.

To the more experienced folk here, is an engine flush something that the ASC can carry out without authorisation from me? Is it part of standard service procedures? Checking the manual as we speak, but would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable about this could help.
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:00   #44
BHPian

Quite a scary experience indeed. But I would strongly advise that you get the car transported to your home town and get the work done there. Even if the charges are heavy, you would have the luxury of follow up services nearby in the future. Also you can get a second opinion at a FNG .
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The car was just serviced a week back (Bill was approx 20k), we were doing only 100 though and through and the car wasn't even loaded. We also got new tyres for the same in the intnetion of keeping this car for while.
We also take great care of our cars and any small noise or issue is immediately sorted out.
Thanks a lot for bringing out this issue here mate. A lot has been discussed already and every case is probable. It was very informative indeed.

Few wispy factors which I think can have a role:

1) Fuel contamination/ Adulterated fuel:
My bike went kaput with similar issue and I specifically remember filing out fuel in some remote station near Kolhapur (some thug owned station). Some 70kms after refueling my mileage went on increasing like crazy and then boom! Engine started to sound like an old tractor after that. Bad fuel was the root cause in my case. I’m no expert here, would like to know what the experts think. Where did you last refuel? Was it in some shady town?

2) Faulty service: Was the Engine opened recently? Not sure of the oil pressure theory as I feel you should have felt some indication in-terms of sound and engine performance if not an alarm on the dashboard as it was a long drive. The service center guys are the usual suspects here, I'm sure they would have screwed up had they opened the engine recently.

Can you check with local transport people for taking it back to Chennai? You can negotiate a good deal and they will definitely help you to push and load your vehicle into the truck too. Smaller town workshops take a lot of time for sourcing materials and I'm not sure how well they will be able to rebuild the engine.

Service is a subjective topic irrespective of the brand in India. My friends week old i10 nios was in-service for nearly two weeks for lack of spares in a tier 1 city .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks