Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 10:41   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

The engine has thrown a rod through the side of the block and its a diesel!! This is not regular wear and tear by any means. It needs to be escalated to Hyundai as well as this is possible cause for a litigation.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:03   #62
BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi guys,

I finally got some pics and updates from Hyundai Davangare.

They told me its regular wear and tear and also one of the pistons did not get oil as one of the artery had failed.

The thing I fail to understand is, how can a well maintained, less stressed, periodically serviced Hyundai fail like this.

What should I do ?

Kindly help.
Holy moly! What on earth am I seeing? A hole in the engine case?

My friend this is no regular wear and tear, this is catastrophic. Like you mentioned you can write to them and ask for a detailed explanation, I don't expect any satisfying answer from them for sure. But you deserve a proper explanation, Hyundai should take this very seriously. Escalate this as much as you can, I’m sure something good will come out of it.

Till our experts in here confirm, my guess would be metal fatigue as the root cause. There is no reason why a well maintained engine would blow up otherwise. Artery getting clogged up is uncommon and this can’t happen unless there is contamination which is highly unlikely on a well maintained running vehicle.

On the decision to repair it or not, highly subjective again. Ask yourself a few questions:
1) how long would I use this car? Years left for a 2015 Diesel car.
2) What is the overall condition of the car? Paint, dent, scratches, accident history.
3) How much have you invested on the car. Leather seats, headlight upgrades, new tyres etc.
4) Will you be happy and confident after a rebuild, if yes can you consider a swap which would be way cheaper from the estimates you have shown. Reliability is the main concern here.

Take your time on this one brother.
skyocean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:10   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I finally got some pics and updates from Hyundai Davangare.

They told me its regular wear and tear and also one of the pistons did not get oil as one of the artery had failed. Kindly help.
Your engine was obviously very well looked after. It is really clean for a 100K km run diesel with no signs of sludge on the valve train and the inside the block. I am really sorry that it failed on you.

The engine has very clear signs of lube failure which caused it to fail. The score marks on the crank and con rod big end bearings are a give away. The worry thing is the the con-rod blew a hole through the engine block. That was the noise you heard when you said in your OP "The engine suddenly started vibrating and there was a metal clunking sound which got loud"

I would suggest you write to Hyundai for an explanation on how a car this well maintained can fail so catastrophically. You need a root cause analysis as do Hyundai themselves. Try to get them to bear at least a part of the cost of a half-engine assembly.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th March 2021 at 11:12.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Here is the explanation. Kindly let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-e08a0f9a539748a68c08961e79a9d5c4.jpeg  

arjunrudra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:43   #65
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
So Hyundai claims that a well maintained engine failing at 1 Lac km is "normal wear and tear". Wow. they must as well advertise it.

If it was due to customer refusing timing chain replacement, why is it not mentioned in the invoice. Generally they mention these things that are refused by the customer.

They are trying to wash their hands off.

Do you, by any chance have a copy of handwritten job card (I always take a picture of it as many ASC take this back)? They write these mandatory things down and strike off things refused by us. That can act as a proof to strengthen your case.

Last edited by J4J : 4th March 2021 at 11:44.
J4J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 12:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
So Hyundai claims that a well maintained engine failing at 1 Lac km is "normal wear and tear". Wow. they must as well advertise it.

If it was due to customer refusing timing chain replacement, why is it not mentioned in the invoice. Generally they mention these things that are refused by the customer.

They are trying to wash their hands off.

Do you, by any chance have a copy of handwritten job card (I always take a picture of it as many ASC take this back)? They write these mandatory things down and strike off things refused by us. That can act as a proof to strengthen your case.

I do have a pic of the job card. Attached.

I asked for the timing belt change as it was 1 lakh kms and they told me that this is chain driven and no need of change.

I infact told them. Please change whatever you have to and make this a comprehensive service.

Just after service got my tyres also changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-d50a1a0aa7e54927a0ca578549a36694.jpeg  

Last edited by arjunrudra : 4th March 2021 at 12:17.
Old 4th March 2021, 13:26   #67
BHPian

Just to remove the possibility of a Hydrolock - did you drive through water recently, do you see any water markings on the air filter, or was there any water present in the engine oil drained?
I noticed that the con-rod has been bent (Or the image appears to be) and this may not happen due to clogged oil lines.

Had a similar experience with a friends car and on examination we found that it was due to hydrolock.
Old 4th March 2021, 13:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
Just to remove the possibility of a Hydrolock - did you drive through water recently, do you see any water markings on the air filter, or was there any water present in the engine oil drained?
I noticed that the con-rod has been bent (Or the image appears to be) and this may not happen due to clogged oil lines.

Had a similar experience with a friends car and on examination we found that it was due to hydrolock.
No never. There was no water anywhere. No water markings.
Old 4th March 2021, 14:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

During the Vadodara flood of 2019 (31-07-2019 to be precise) one of my friend's Jazz had conrods breaking block, similar to what is posted on this thread. Broken conrods sticking out of block, it was case of hydrolock. By any chance is there a possibility of adulterated diesel having a large amount of water and somehow that water made it though till the cylinder ? Else it wont break like this. May be due to lack of oil the temperature of engine will rise first before such a failure. Timing chain issue would have resulted into damage on more than one cylinder.
Old 4th March 2021, 14:14   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
During the Vadodara flood of 2019 (31-07-2019 to be precise) one of my friend's Jazz had conrods breaking block, similar to what is posted on this thread. Broken conrods sticking out of block, it was case of hydrolock. By any chance is there a possibility of adulterated diesel having a large amount of water and somehow that water made it though till the cylinder ? Else it wont break like this. May be due to lack of oil the temperature of engine will rise first before such a failure. Timing chain issue would have resulted into damage on more than one cylinder.
I think this is the case of a blocked oil jet on the base of the engine block. If the diesel did indeed have water, the car would have started pinging loudly, knocked and then eventually stalled before enough of water could make it into the combustion chamber and flood it.

A blocked oil jet explains why only one cylinder threw a rod and why the low oil pressure light never came on. What blocked the jet remains a mystery. Hyundai's analysis (as expected) is pure BS.

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-images-5-2.jpeg
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

Picture might give a wrong impression, but did the crank shaft suffer any damage for it to get replaced, which is one of the expensive thing in the lot.
Old 4th March 2021, 14:42   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Pistons are definitely not a wear and tear item. It utter BS calling this a wear and tear related incident.

Something caused a problem with this particular piston, something must have been blocked, preventing it from getting lubrication oil. Admittedly, it might be difficult to tell afterward, but that does not change the fact that this is nothing related to what is called normal wear and tear.

As I mentioned before, I would really urge them to check all the oil canals and the oil jet as mentioned by Vishy76. And get them to warrant the repair and part in writing.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 15:33   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Jeroen and Vishy76 have already said this is NOT a wear and tear issue. Modern diesels, especially well maintained ones like your car, go for few lakhs of kms before needing an overhaul.

This guy is giving you pure bunkum and since the car is regularly maintained at an ASC I would suggest you ask Hyundai and the dealer the following:

a) How did the lubrication gallery get blocked when the car has been experiencing regular oil changes? There is minimal sludge formation in the engine.
b) What is the life of a regularly maintained Hyundai diesel engine as per them?
c) Where does it say the timing chain needs to be replaced at 100K kms?
d) Overload of the engine due to an AT? Then the engine and/or the gearbox combination are not really suited for this car.

I would recommend you ask Hyundai for a goodwill discount on the new "half" engine assembly.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 15:57   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do have a pic of the job card. Attached.
Request you to take mods' help and reedit the image - your contact details are present/visible on the job card.

Just for a few smiles (for the moment), they just recorded your service advisor's temperature as ~2deg celsius and considered it normal
Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-temppic.jpg

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I think this is the case of a blocked oil jet on the base of the engine block. If the diesel did indeed have water, the car would have started pinging loudly, knocked and then eventually stalled before enough of water could make it into the combustion chamber and flood it.

A blocked oil jet explains why only one cylinder threw a rod and why the low oil pressure light never came on. What blocked the jet remains a mystery. Hyundai's analysis (as expected) is pure BS.
I have nothing to add for the OP - but if not much of an effort, would you or others who are knowledgeable on this matter be able to share more details/content on how the above two problem scenarios would affect the engine setup? Currently to noobs like me, we see potential causes (blockage of oil supply or water in fuel) and the final outcome but lack the details on what happens in between.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th March 2021 at 16:01.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 16:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Just an update. I have been calling the central number and I had lodged a complaint couple of days back.

Now I am trying to connect with them. Everyday I call them and they say someone will call me up in 48 hrs but it’s never the case.

When I ask them to escalate the issue and to speak to their senior they try connecting me and then after a long hold the line disconnects.

This is getting very frustrating. This morning when I was finally able to get to a senior one Mrs. Hemalatha she said the service head is in a meeting and she will call back In 2 hrs. The call never came.

Suggestions to get their attention ?
arjunrudra is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed