Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 10:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi All,

Just an update. I got a call from the service area manager for KA state. A very nice gentleman called Nikhil had called. The only point of discussion was that cars are mechanical bits and it can fail. Probability was stated.

I have anyways asked for him to talk to his superiors and look at giving us a solid response.

So waiting on them. I wish they come clean and admit its their fault and do the needful. its only fair.

Thanks all for the support.

Hope they give a favorable response to re-instill some comfort and dependence on the Hyundai Brand for me and for others who are unnerved by this situation.
Hi,

I have read the complete thread and agree with Hyundai and the members who has identified the cause of the failure as lube failure. The marks on con rod big end, bearing shell and big end bearing journal on the crank point to a lube failure.

The oil is supplied to the big end through the oiling channel (aka the artery hyundai a.s.s mentioned) that runs within the crank shaft. There are oil exit holes on each main bearing journals and big end bearing journals. Oil gets into the crank through one of its its ends pressure fed from the pump.

The failure (as visible clearly a lube failure) is only at one of the journals. This indicates other journals before and after this particular journal was getting oil and the choked artery is not within the crankshaft because if it were other journals would also been starved of oil. If it was indeed within the crank it would be a blocked hole at the most.

If its a blocked journal oiling hole it could be because of two reasons:-

1) Some debris traveling through the oil channel within the crank and finally entering and blocking this particular hole. But chances of only one journal getting blocked is still very low. If it was indeed due to some debris traveling through the channel within the crank other journals will also show signs of oil starvation.

2) The big end bearing spun in its seat blocking the oil supply hole gradually. More likely.

If its 1 the debris causing the block will still be inside the crank unless its been cleaned by now. To find out cover all holes with masking tape except this one and blow compressed air through crankshaft oil feed hole. Put a clean white towel in front of the failed journal's oiling hole to catch any that might fly out.

If its 2 it will be harder to find as the bearing may have spun after the lube failure. But if there is no debris coming out of the hole when blown with compressed air I would diagnose the failure to be caused by a spun bearing.

Apart from lack of lubrication, high load, gunning before warming up, wrong oil etc spun bearings can be caused by other reasons including using a connecting rod with incorrect tolerance or a using a bearing shell with incorrect tolerance during assembly. Spun bearings are rare cases in a stock engine or even a lightly modified one. But so is such an engine failure in a car with a proper service history.

Last edited by Sankar : 7th March 2021 at 10:38.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 10:53   #92
BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

Quote:

The engine suddenly started vibrating and there was a metal clunking sound which got loud. We stopped the car immediately on the side of the road and there was a little smoke coming. No leakage of any sort (oil or water) and the coolant temperature was also normal.
Sorry to hear about the debacle.

Looks like it is a lubrication failure.

The solution recommended is the only option.

Hope you get your steed back in good shape in quick time

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 7th March 2021 at 11:03. Reason: Pics Confirmed chain
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 13:38   #93
BHPian

Any update on this ? Curious to know what Hyundai India had to say about the issue. And also to know whether Hyundai India is willing to offer any warranty after the proposed repair.

I have friend who wanted to buy the new Creta and I showed him this thread. And the next thing I know is that he want to see the new Skoda Kushaq before proceeding with Creta. As far as I know he had a Creta booking.
Old 8th March 2021, 14:26   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Any update on this ? Curious to know what Hyundai India had to say about the issue. And also to know whether Hyundai India is willing to offer any warranty after the proposed repair.

I have friend who wanted to buy the new Creta and I showed him this thread. And the next thing I know is that he want to see the new Skoda Kushaq before proceeding with Creta. As far as I know he had a Creta booking.
Hi Guys,

No update as of now. I got a call stating that the area manager is on leave and I will get a response in the next 2 days. I hope they come back to me proactively so that I don't have to go through the hassle of follow-up's.

I will keep the group posted on this.

I see a lot of people are very nervous about Creta after this and for good measure.
arjunrudra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:58   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I’m still waiting for an update from Hyundai regarding pricing.

They are now waiting for parts from the Chennai plant.

A very help area service manager called Nikhil is in touch and he has promised utmost support from Hyundai. Just the wait is very frustrating, expensive and taxing.

Will keep everyone posted.
arjunrudra is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 19:06   #96
BHPian

A question, excuse my newbie knowledge levels,

In what instance would the engine be starved of oil but the car not throw a low oil pressure warning?
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:58   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
A question, excuse my newbie knowledge levels,

In what instance would the engine be starved of oil but the car not throw a low oil pressure warning?
In this case, the oil starvation seemed to have happened at only one crankshaft bearing. The others were not affected. Therefore the pressure on the line was sufficiently high to keep the oil pressure warning off.

Situations where the oil pressure warning would come on include, but are not limited to:
- insufficient oil in the sump
- oil pump leaking
- severe leakage in the oil filter
- severe leakage in the high pressure line

As you can see, there can the can be many situations where the oil pressure warning lamp never turns on even though there is a problem.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 09:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, happy holi.

Just a quick update.

So this week Hyundai will inform me about the costs the parts update and support.

I am really hoping to hear some positive news.

Will keep the thread posted soon.
arjunrudra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 12:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was down with Covid with many complications and just got discharged.

So I got the car back and Hyundai really helped me with the service and sponsor of costs. Hyundai sponsored the entire half engine for 1.75 lakhs plus they sponsored 25% of the spares cost.

So I had to spend approx. 40k for the remaining service out of which i had voluntarily asked them to change the suspension (approx 7.5k).

Overall the car feels brand new and I'm glad I almost got a new engine.

Regards,
Arjun Rudra
arjunrudra is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 01:25   #100
rkw
BHPian

Re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amica

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response. I was down with Covid with many complications and just got discharged.

So I got the car back and Hyundai really helped me with the service and sponsor of costs. Hyundai sponsored the entire half engine for 1.75 lakhs plus they sponsored 25% of the spares cost.
Hope you have recovered fully & back to good health.
Glad to know about the goodwill gesture from Hyundai & more so the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. It is definitely not a big amount for Hyundai & such instances are not bound to happen often. But the gesture is surely customer confidence building.
Wish you many smiles & miles in your "new" Creta!
Old 14th May 2022, 13:30   #101

Re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amica

Quote:
Overall the car feels brand new and I'm glad I almost got a new engine.
Hello Arjun,
Thanks for sharing your experience. A similar thing has happened to me, unfortunately. I'd really appreciate if you can share your phone number. Would love to discuss how you went through the whole process.
Looking forward to your reply here or you could just call me at 7404308967.

@others - I'll share my experience in a bit. Just that I'm still absorbing the whole thing.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th May 2022 at 13:48. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 19th March 2024, 09:32   #102
BHPian

Recently, I encountered an increase in engine noise of me July 2018 Creta 1.6D. It has been running silently for last 5.5 years without any issues. However, last week, I noticed a comparatively loud noise from engine which was the immediately noticeable as it was unlike usual sound and was more closer to VW/Skoda Diesels. I shared the video of the same with Service Advisor who agreed the noise was more than usual and he told me to bring the car to service centre. Prima facie, he checked and told me that engine oil level is fine.

Now, he told me that there is issue with engine and turbo as oil is leaking into turbo. I really don’t know how it can happen as I have been getting it serviced at Hyundai mandated intervals and through authorised workshops.

In May 2023, I had raised issue about black smoke coming from exhaust but they drove the car and said that is normal.At that time, car was in warranty. However, now the warranty is over and I am staring at huge expense.

I will be visiting the workshop on Saturday. I’ll be happy to hear your suggestions/ advise.

P.S. I did not know find any other appropriate place, so bumping up this old thread.

P.P.S. I am unable to upload the video recording of the noise.

Last edited by Amity : 19th March 2024 at 09:34. Reason: Typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks