Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dent on my swift

Hey guys

while turning my new car (with a big L board on it) i brushed sideways into the basement pillar

now i am having a big dent(abt 1x1 feet) on my left back door. luckily the power window and door controls are working fine..which is a good news

what i want to know is the estimate to fix such dents(want to know how much they ll charge)....i have heard of some magnetic suction that they use to remove dents, but dunno if it will work for big dents.

Feeling bad about the quality of metal used in swift..i feel its as thin as coke can

My first service is due next week. so planning to get it done from dealers only..provided it wont be a rip off..

Any suggestions?
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:39   #2
BHPian

I also had a small dent on the dickey door and rear bumper of my Swift and when enquired at Pratham, they gave me a fat estimation asking me to claim the insurance. It was quoted around 7.5 k excluding 1.5 as an amount that I needed to pay. However I got rid of these dents with a local workshop in Ulsoor Road (starting of the road, right turn after Adigas in Dickenson Road) , without claiming the insurance and costed me around 3.5k including the repainting some of the bruises. Work indeed was good.

There is a thread in tbhp which talks about few places in Bangalore who do the repainting and dent work. Check it out here
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajesh,

Are you talking abt the running board area...? Also, are you going to claim the insurance...? I had a similar case with my new zen and it cost me abt 800/- (after claiming the insurance). The cost without the insurance would be more than 10K. Further, it would depend upon the model (zen/omni or Swift as in ur case).

Also, I would recommend it to get it done ONLY from the authorized service guys and not the road side garage as the paint job done by the maruti guys would be the "original" and after the work you car would be as fine as earlier
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:57   #4
BHPian

I have had a bad expereince with Sagar on this. I had a few dents on my door and one fender, and the guy who takes the car for servicing quoted arnd 8.5k for it. But he said that the workshop manager would be in a better position to tell the exact amt. Well... the workshop manager said that he was not sure if he could repair the dent (a minor one) and bring the door back to its original shape, and recommended that i change my door (claim insurance saar, claim insurance saar). His total estimate for the door and fender was 14K!!!!!!!

Mandovi told me that they would charge 2.5k for the same door. For the both the front fenders and front bumper (a few scratches and dents on all three), its 6.5K. This is the labor and cost of paint etc. Taxes is extra.

I might go to Mandovi or to some garage in Koramangla (owned by a gentleman called Vinod). A friend is planning to give his esteem to Vinod, so will wait to see what kind of work he does on the esteem.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hi Rajesh,

Are you talking abt the running board area...?
Hey buddy, i dont know what running board area means.. i have a dent just below the back door opening handle.The whole dent is in the middle of back door. I was thinking that it would be much below that..so didnt want to waste my no claim bonus..

i have highlighted dent part(i dont have recent pic)..hope that helps
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oops..i am not able to add pics..

Anyways..never knew it would be so expensive!!!

But i hope you guys understood what i am trying to say here..i was trying to take a u-turn around a pillar and banged sideways into it..its just the back door(center part) which has dent..rest of the parts are fine..

Anyways..i guess i should check with these guys only abt the dent..if they ask more, i ll keep it..perhaps a lesson for me
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

hey rajshenoy, You are in bangalore right. Try surakshaa either hosur road or audogodi opposite mico bosch.

Maruti body repair they are very good. If you have a pic post that and we will be able to give you a better idea.

By your description it should not cost more than 2k. It may go upto 3K if other than the door anything else is damaged.
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

rajshenoy it will be good if u can post a picture of the dent
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hey guys

i have heard of some magnetic suction that they use to remove dents, but dunno if it will work for big dents.

Any suggestions?
hi rajshenoy, please post the pic of dented door. Well vaccum suction & magentic & other spring back methods do work fine for BIG & SHALLOW dents in which no strethcing of metal is there.

For smaller dings meatl is streched most of the time so either they are covered by putty or need a skilled metal worker to remove.

After seeing pic i can comment on that, you will have to shell out close to 10,000. you will need a replacement door panel+paint job+labour, if it is not repairable. But dontworry , you will get 100% claim if your vehicle is less than 6 months old.
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
rajshenoy it will be good if u can post a picture of the dent
I dont have any latest snaps..but below pic has the position of dent highlighted..sorry for the inconvinience

Yahoo! Photos - Dent on swift
Old 23rd April 2007, 16:03   #11
BHPian

Sorr raj, the pic is not clear too show the dent.
Old 23rd April 2007, 16:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Sorr raj, the pic is not clear too show the dent.
Sorry arun, i dont have access to camera now..so couldnt take snap..

i had highlighted the dent area(red oval) just to get an idea of position...sorry if its not visible clearly..

i will try to upload the snaps later
Old 23rd April 2007, 16:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Simply go to Surakshaa at Bomannahalli, ask for Lokesh... your problem will be solved...
If u want lokesh's number I can PM u...let me know?
Abhi
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:24   #14
BANNED

Hi,

I too had a dent while trying to park( actually my heavy gate hit the cars door due to wind).

I just claimed insurance for dent and repainting.

just a suggestion, if you have to shell heavily from your pocket better claim insurance.
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post
just a suggestion, if you have to shell heavily from your pocket better claim insurance.
if the cost of repair is more than 10K, simply go for insurance....

Abhi

Most Viewed