Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 15:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Foggy Fog-lamp

Update:

the LHS foglamp have started getting fogged - i went to F.A.S for tweaking the horn behind the front left bumper and since last week the front left hand side fog lamp is getting fogged.

if i switch on AC for a longer time - the cluster is getting fogged from inside. if i switch on the Foglamp for sometime - it disappears.

anyone facing this issue?

PS: both RHS and LHS headlamps are getting fogged - the Sr. service engineer said - please ignore it
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

went to F.A.S.S. again to get the foggy problem sorted out - the moisture inside is still present but dodge this:

1. LHS and RHS glass part of the HL clusters have been opened and have not been fitted properly / not hooked to the clips.

2. alignment messed - the LHS throws light to the extreme left - the RHS throws light in front of the car - too low - the high beam and low beam throws light at the same place.

i think it would have been better to buy two new clusters
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Even I experianced the same problem with my palio...it was rectified by the Tata Service guys,who opened the entire casing and dried it and replaced with new rubber lining.Since then I have had no problem...
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:41   #19

Hey just a thought.There were some vaccum cleaners (by Eureka Forbes,orange and ivory colour)quite some time back that had a blower option to it. They even had an attachement (Thin,cone shapped nosil) for use around narrow gaps and tiny openings.They use to blow really hot air and at high velocity.It was quite good and we used to dry car interiors after wash.Try using that to defog (if you come across one).Its much easier when compared to removing assemblies.But chances are good.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_tv View Post
Hey just a thought.There were some vaccum cleaners (by Eureka Forbes,orange and ivory colour)quite some time back that had a blower option to it. They even had an attachement (Thin,cone shapped nosil) for use around narrow gaps and tiny openings.They use to blow really hot air and at high velocity.It was quite good and we used to dry car interiors after wash.Try using that to defog (if you come across one).Its much easier when compared to removing assemblies.But chances are good.

This can very well be replaced by drying the car itself in hot sun.

No offense. This is a frequent problem with Palio car head lamps. Fog gets accumulated in lamps spoiling the nickeling of lights, and spoiling the clarity of lens(covers). This happens every time car is cleaned, or if its raining of if the weather is very cold. So the vaccum cleaner procedure may be good but painful to carry on the same every time we clean the car.

Hill Rams solution if worked is worked for good. I goto try the same.

Thanks,
Naveen.KK
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopakr View Post
I have seen many PALIOs with front headlamps fogged,I mean filled with water vapours after a rain or wash.Its due to leaking of water into the headlamps..But puzzled about the reason for this happening in palios.And I heard from the workshop that , only answer to this is a new headlights...Can I find anyone to throw some light on this??? If its the right headlamp in my car...its left headlamps in my friends.
Water will go inside the light only if there is any gaps. Please open the lights and check for any gaps or empty space. If any gap is seen you can place a thin rubber or small plastic sheet so that the gap is filled.
Old 27th October 2008, 16:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

i will live with the foggy headlamps.

the fiat guys opened up the HLs again and cleaned entire mess - the moisture came back within the next 24 hours
Old 27th October 2008, 17:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi planet_rocker,

> i will live with the foggy headlamps.

How sad!

> the fiat guys opened up the HLs again and cleaned entire mess - the
> moisture came back within the next 24 hours

Maybe you should take a print out of the procedure in the link in message # 15 in this thread and if it works out give a thanks to drpullockaran!
Old 28th April 2009, 19:13   #24
BHPian

I got both the headlights of my Petra changed today. Both had about half a litre of water inside, there was algae growth on the reflector bottom!!
Took the old ones home and did some checks on them. Surprisingly, the lens and both the backcover joints was watertight. The only way water could have entered was through the opening of the "L" shaped rubber breather pipe or the two vents, one on the large cover and the other on the casing, just inboard of the mainbeam lamp, at the bottom of the headlamp assembly. These two vents have a plastic insert which can be pulled out, which has a labyrinth with spaces between filled with sponge, to keep out water and insects. The older lamp assemblies had the tab well inside and required a metal hook to pull it out while the new ones I fitted had a little handle sticking out to facilitate removal.

I am inclined to believe that water in the headlamp is drawn in through these two vents, especially in heavy rain, due to the suction caused by the air inside the headlamp suddenly cooling. Also, when waterwashing the vehicle, the waterjet is directed from below, thus easily entering the headlamp. Perhaps covering these vents by using silicone or modelling clay might help, just leave the L shaped breather alone.

Any thoughts on this???
Attached Thumbnails
Palio - Front head lamps getting fogged-28042009035.jpg  

Palio - Front head lamps getting fogged-28042009037.jpg  

Old 28th April 2009, 19:25   #25
BHPian

maestro ,
How much do the headlights cost and where did you get them changed?
Old 28th April 2009, 19:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
maestro ,
How much do the headlights cost and where did you get them changed?
headlights cost 2200 apiece. Was fitted at Ignite, a new service centre in Akkarai ECR.
Old 1st May 2009, 07:11   #27
BHPian

Did some more checks on the headlight. The large rear cover on both are slightly bowed. Did not notice it initially as the rubber gasket was sticking to the compression lip. Once dismantled and refitted, there is a large enough gap for water to gush into the assembly even with the cover on. Apparently, after some use (heating and cooling cycles) the cover warps a bit and the gasket sticking to the lip prevents any water ingress. once removed and refitted to change a lamp, there is no more sealing and leakage occurs.
Possible cures I can think about would be:-
1) Place a thin spacer below the rubber, thus raising it and ensuring better sealing by taking up the gap.
2) Using silicone sealant on the rubber to ensure watertightness. (Would make the rubber un useable at next bulb change.
3) Glueing a thin aluminium plate cut to shape on top of the lamp housing so as to deflect any water pouring onto the joint.

Any thoughts on this??
Old 1st May 2009, 09:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

ohh yeaa i have given up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i will live with the foggy headlamps.

the fiat guys opened up the HLs again and cleaned entire mess - the moisture came back within the next 24 hours
Old 1st May 2009, 19:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Any thoughts on this??
You can find an exhaustive DIY for headlamp moisture in the Palio User group in Yahoo.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Palio - Front head lamps getting fogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Any thoughts on this??
Its not possible to remove the Palio headlight assembly without removing the front bumper. I have tried that in the past and given up. so removing the headlamp and cleaning/sealing it is not a simple DIY job and out of question.

So I tried the following Do-it-Yourself job of blowing the headlight assembly with a hair dryer last weekend to get rid of the headlight moisture problem in my Palio and might help if you give it a try.

1. Removed the black plastic covers behind the High beam and Low Beam.
The back of the covers were full of dust especially on the rubber lining, so I cleaned the rubber lining with water and this has softened to make them seal better.
Also cleaned the square border on the headlamps where the lining fits so that there is no gap due to dust when putting the cover back.
2. Removed the low beam bulb and the high beam bulb from its holders, no need to detach it from the wires. You can just leave them dangling attached to the wires but just ensure that you don't touch the bulbs.
you need to remove the bulbs from the holders to allow for the dry air from the hair-dryer to circulate into the reflector cavity.
3. Blew hot air from the hair dryer aiming into the bulb holder holes until the mist in the headlamps evaporated.
This took about 15-20 minutes. The headlamp became really hot in the process and the mist and water drops cleared.
4. Replaced the bulbs back in their sockets and this time ensured the back covers were tightly fitted back with no gaps. Since the rubber lining was clean, it fitted properly in the housing with no gaps.

I've not seen any moisture appear in the headlamps after this until now (touch-wood ) The only other alternative suggested by the A.S.S is to ignore the moisture or replace the headlamp.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th November 2012 at 14:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks