Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:19   #1

Alto vibrates when Headligts switched on !!

Hi BHpians...
I have a 2004 Alto-Lxi....it has done 30K Kms so far...bought it frm True value dealer 6 months back....

I use my car sparingly...(only on weekends)....recently the battery went ka-put.....so changed it to exide super sonic....but now i notice that when i switch on the headlights, the engine noise increases & there's visibly more vibrations...(it has never happened before...)

The dealer is saying that this is normal for all Alto models as it gets older.... Can somebody throw some light in this matter ?

senthil
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

dealer is saying all junk...go to proper MASS and check it...
I know even older Altos which doesnt have such problme and that is the reason that it is the highest selling model today...total problem free VFM...

Just check it...

Abhi
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

check charging and set the idle, better take it to M.A.S.S center
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk View Post
....recently the battery went ka-put.....so changed it to exide super sonic....but now i notice that when i switch on the headlights, the engine noise increases & there's visibly more vibrations...(it has never happened before...)

Alternator issue. Go to MASS.
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree. It's definitely an issue in the charging section. Even if the alternator appears to be OK, make sure (with a digital multimeter) that the voltage across the battery terminal is atleast 13.5V, with the AC and headlamps switched on. Taking it to the service station is your best bet, but go, armed with this knowledge.
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHpians...

The dealer is saying that this is normal for all Alto models as it gets older.... Can somebody throw some light in this matter ?

senthil
Let me tell you i am a fellow alto owner and mine is the first lot alto which is nearly 5 years old and it has no issues like this you better get it checked from the M.A.S.S.
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHpians...
I have a 2004 Alto-Lxi....it has done 30K Kms so far...bought it frm True value dealer 6 months back....

I use my car sparingly...(only on weekends)....recently the battery went ka-put.....so changed it to exide super sonic....but now i notice that when i switch on the headlights, the engine noise increases & there's visibly more vibrations...(it has never happened before...)

senthil
Well this is first time i am hearing this that old alto starts vibrating. I mean yes as the car gets old it starts a bit of vibrations but that coz a lot fo things need to get changed. Just get the battery checked and Alternator.

@manik i win i have 7 years old Alto
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

At idling also 13.5V +
With AC and headlights on the voltage across battery is 13V and goes to 14 on revs.
Without AC and headlights though its around 13.5 at idle.
I have seen this in new indica too.
Voltage is not always above 13.5V
Old 24th April 2007, 18:13   #9
BHPian

Had a similar problem recently. Went to check the battery. Turned out the battery was dry.
Old 24th April 2007, 22:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

my battery is fairly new .....just about 3 months old and it drops to 12.5 with the ac and headlights turned on.
Old 25th April 2007, 00:00   #11
BANNED

The engine vibration problem has to be explained a bit more in detail I guess.
If the vibration (Most probably due to a slight RPM drop) is just for a moment when the head lights are turned on, I think it happens in most Altos (In many other cars too). Most people don't notice it happening.
But if it stays prolonged, then it has to be checked. It could be an Alternator/battery/both issue. M.A.S.S is the best place for you in that case.
Old 25th April 2007, 00:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yeah agree with speedzak it happens when u switch on the headlights.Happens in my carburated 800 too.At idling if i switch on the headlight the idling changes a bit and remains that way as mine is a carburated one and has no ECU to control the idling.The Idling thingy speekzak mentioned happens on my relatives mpfi zen too
And the Charging should be checked at 2000 rpm.Idling with the AC and headlight on and generating 12.5 volts is fine.
At 2000 rpm and above the chargin with all the load should be around 13.4 and at no load around 14.4
Old 26th April 2007, 05:47   #13
BANNED

Dump the stupid dealer and find a better knowledgeable one.

My 6 year old Alto is not having the problem that you've mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks