Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 11:46   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Decarbonising in Indica V2

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Engine Decarbonisation Article. Thanks

I recently fot my indica v2 dls serviced at 31000 kms. Servicing was done at fortune motors nerul. They have done decarbonising of the engine. this was carried out on 30-03-2007. they have also done complete servicing of AC. the AC servicing was done for the first time since purchase of this vehicle in July 2004 from the above dealer.

I have noticed that after this service, the FE of the vehicle has gone down drastically while running in AC. I travel 70 kms everyday. The vehicle guzzles 14.30 Ltrs of diesel for 140 kms travel. I took the vehicle again to the service centre yesterday and they told me take a mileage test of full-utilise-full take method. he aslo told me that they need to check the pump timer & if that is ok, then open the fuel pump. the opening of fuel pump means that there will be a cost of Rs. 5000+.

Please help.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2013 at 12:00. Reason: Adding link to our article
Old 25th April 2007, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fariborzpz View Post
I recently fot my indica v2 dls serviced at 31000 kms. Servicing was done at fortune motors nerul. They have done decarbonising of the engine. this was carried out on 30-03-2007. they have also done complete servicing of AC. the AC servicing was done for the first time since purchase of this vehicle in July 2004 from the above dealer.

I have noticed that after this service, the FE of the vehicle has gone down drastically while running in AC. I travel 70 kms everyday. The vehicle guzzles 14.30 Ltrs of diesel for 140 kms travel. I took the vehicle again to the service centre yesterday and they told me take a mileage test of full-utilise-full take method. he aslo told me that they need to check the pump timer & if that is ok, then open the fuel pump. the opening of fuel pump means that there will be a cost of Rs. 5000+.

Please help.
Well decarbonising at 31000kms, its done at 40k, TASS tends to do money minting jobs.

it happened to me also after the service the avg dropped considerably. In my opinion some one has fiddled with your FIP tuning or timing.

If you have extended warranty then recalibrating of FIP can be done free of cost with six months warranty for the job done.even if you dont have just force them, as its unusual drop in FE after regular service, just shout & argue, stick to your point they will bend. take help of regional tata office, these guys are scare of them.

unmounting, recalibration, refixing of pump costs 1400 for an indica not 5000+, i have got it done for my indica.

After recalibration FE should be 16-18 depending upon your driving.

1. Did you noticed any change in engine sound?
2. Do you feel more vibrations in cabin?
3. Did you noticed amount & color of smoke? after service leading to drop in FE
Old 25th April 2007, 13:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Do not get the Fuel pump opened. This is a way employed by Tata workshops to make a fast buck.
Old 25th April 2007, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

A simple solution is to add System-D..a ml for every litre of Diesel..Definitely beneficial..

The Fuel pump is a very complex device and it takes time to recalibrate the same unlike petrol cars..

Some are lucky..while most arent in case of a problem..I've literally pushed started our Indigo for the initial 4K to 11K kms..and finally the problem was diagnosed to be in the FP, which was thankfully replaced under warranty..
Old 25th April 2007, 13:46   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Well decarbonising at 31000kms, its done at 40k, TASS tends to do money minting jobs.

it happened to me also after the service the avg dropped considerably. In my opinion some one has fiddled with your FIP tuning or timing.

If you have extended warranty then recalibrating of FIP can be done free of cost with six months warranty for the job done.even if you dont have just force them, as its unusual drop in FE after regular service, just shout & argue, stick to your point they will bend. take help of regional tata office, these guys are scare of them.

unmounting, recalibration, refixing of pump costs 1400 for an indica not 5000+, i have got it done for my indica.

After recalibration FE should be 16-18 depending upon your driving.

1. Did you noticed any change in engine sound?
2. Do you feel more vibrations in cabin?
3. Did you noticed amount & color of smoke? after service leading to drop in FE
Hi,
After this servicing, i have noticed that the engine accelerates from 1000rpm to 2000 rpm immediately in 1st gear & also once it reaches 2000 rpm, i feel that the engine has peaked and therefore shift to higher gear(from 1st to 2nd and so on).

I have not noticed any unusual smoke or there is no such heavy vibration.

Can i have the regional tata motor contact number or any contact person?

Thanks for the help.
Old 25th April 2007, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not get the Fuel pump opened. This is a way employed by Tata workshops to make a fast buck.
Dear TSK, Please shed some light on drop in FE of indica after service, it happened to me only once.

My indica has done 80,000kms+ now still returns 17.5kmpl, but what is the hell they do with vehicle causing considerable pain after service.

My car was running perfectly fine, went for routine service with no major issues, only to find smoky car & drop in FE after return, & a lot of trouble after that, a stupid technician of TVS LUCAS even broke my FIP in front of my eyes.

They were agreeing only to repair it free of cost, but thanks to my friend in TATA motors, i used his influence & got new FIP free of cost. Imagine if were a normal customer, either i was destined to drive with refurbished pump or had to shell out 35k.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

The Tata guys adjust the Fuel, air ratio in non ECU indica's, mostly for the worse.
If you go and complain they try to convince you to overhaul the FIP.
Since my indica is well out of warranty, I have decided not to go to Tata motors for service related stuff.
Now my car service is done by a roadside guy for 100Rs. He changes all the filters which I buy from the market (Elofic), cleans the Air filter using compressed air and changes the oil(which I buy from the market).
This way I am sure that the oil is really being changed
I can source the best quality oil
I buy genuine spares, and this way don't have the doubt that they used something old etc.,
Till now I have seen just two Tata workshops whom I can really trust, Dada motors Ludhiana, and Concorde motors Bangalore.

Smoky car is the first indication of a too rich mixture. High revving in my car also emit black soot, but only for a few seconds, once the silencer is rid of deposits, even at high revs there is no black smoke. Its also done almost 80,000 kms, had has a FIP overhaul(around 50K), which was actually not needed, but since insurance was paying I went through.
I am right now unsuccessfully looking for some good mechanic who can tune fuel pumps.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am right now unsuccessfully looking for some good mechanic who can tune fuel pumps.
Thanks for your information about the crooked ways of TASS, & yes Lucas TVS guys are ill informed about their own product. After a lot of research during my "bad FIP days" i found that this FIP used in indica is a general purpose 4 cylinder FIP tuned for indica & not specifically designed for indica.

For a month or so i am in delhi, me too looking for a good FIP tuner, i am sure 1405cc mill can deliever much more with a correctly tuned FIP, i find indica very much undertuned.But i love indica.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk
Same here.
My Sumo is Guzzling.And yes,black smoke on revving slightly hard.
Old 26th April 2007, 01:28   #10
BHPian

Does on really require decarbonisation or would regular usage of engine flush suffice?? (wrt petrol cars)
Old 26th April 2007, 02:21   #11
BHPian

Even flushing could pose some threats. The buildup of carbon deposits acts as a sealant , when that is suddenly removed there could be some problems like leaks etc. It is adviced that for engines that completed over 100,000 kms should nt be subjected to flushing. Ask an expert , not the vendor before using it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks