Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:33   #16

Re: Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure

If you give up on Skoda and want to get this fixed - please consider importing the mechatronics module from Europe/ China. Mechanic to fix DSGs can be found on OLX. This way, you won't have to spend a fortune. I've gotten a gearbox replaced of my car this way. Happy to help out in anyway.
sj_car_boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:03   #17
BHPian

This issue is also seen on a couple of VW models. My Vento has the same problem of not starting on the first/second crank but usually, by the third crank, it gets going. I raised this concern to the VW service centre last year and they got it rectified somehow, even they weren't able to give me a proper explanation as to what they did.
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:10   #18
BHPian

Here is my experience as a former 1.8 TSI owner of Octavia:

I suffered a water pump thermostat failure @45k which ended up with the car being at ASS for 5 weeks! Fed up with this, I started servicing it at a known garage who are competent enough to handle Skoda cars and their tantrums!

After this, I had an issue with the coolant pump. This took some back and forth since sourcing the part was delayed. There were also some other minor regular maintenance delay issues owing to non availability of parts outside the dealer workshop. So you will see that there is always a tradeoff of one thing vs the other between ASS and FNG.

Also, the best resale value of a 7 year old 1.8 TSI Octavia realistically is around 8-9 lacs, that is if you can find a genuine buyer who is truly appreciative of the gem of the car it is. The best offers you get from dealership is 7 lacs.

I enjoyed every moment spent in the car and still miss it dearly, but couldn't put up with the random tantrums and fireworks in the instrument cluster which give you those anxious moments when you are out there with your family.

Last edited by luvurride : 23rd March 2021 at 20:20. Reason: typos
luvurride is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
This issue is also seen on a couple of VW models. My Vento has the same problem of not starting on the first/second crank but usually, by the third crank, it gets going. I raised this concern to the VW service centre last year and they got it rectified somehow, even they weren't able to give me a proper explanation as to what they did.
The above statement sounds uncannily familiar to me even though I don't own a Skoda or a Volkswagen but a Maruti Suzuki car. To be precise, I own a Ritz and from as far back as I can remember there were instances when my car would not start on the first and the second crank but only on the third crank. These instances were erratic - any time of the day, with cold starts or with a warmed-up engine; I could see absolutely no pattern. I took my car to the service centre repeatedly but they could never diagnose the problem, so I had no choice but to live with the issue. Then one fine day in August 2018, in the ninth year of my ownership the proverbial chicken finally came home to roost. In spite of repeated attempts, the car would not start. On turning the key all the lights in the dashboard would light up but no ignition. I somehow managed to start the car on my 30th attempt and drove it slowly to the service centre as it was refusing to stay on if I took my foot off the accelerator pedal to even change gears. The service centre diagnosed it to be a faulty ECM. Got the ECM changed and have never faced the earlier issue of the car not starting in the first crank since. Don't know if this helps but could this issue be related to the ECM like in my case?
RedPhobos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 18:15   #20
BHPian

What's the update on this matter? Have you got any favorable reply from Skoda?
Old 25th March 2021, 18:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Really saddened to read this. Will follow this thread with keen interest to see how VAG responds to this issue, whether on goodwill or otherwise.

Will also be nice to know if you have tried reaching out to Zac Hollis’ contact details and understand if they’re walking the talk around their 2.0 era commitments.

All the best in having this resolved at the soonest.
Old 11th April 2021, 11:49   #22
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Thanks.
The car is in the workshop and is probably is a state of disassembly.
Hi Docsr

Is there any progress on your repairs? Were Skoda anymore helpful than 10%?

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th April 2021 at 13:10. Reason: We’re > were
Old 11th April 2021, 17:47   #23
BHPian

A finally got my car back last week. Did a 750 km trip to the hills of chikamagaluru and back soon after. So far so good. Everything seems back to normal. Both my family and I were relieved and glad that we were in the Octavia again and its brief absence made us realise, again, what we were missing in terms of comfort during long drives. Keeping fingers, and toes, crossed.

As advised, I wrote emails to the entire "step-ladder' of managers at Tafe Access AND to Skoda India customer care and Mr.Zack Hollis. I did receive prompt acknowledgments from Skoda about these emails. Subsequently a further "goodwill" rebate of an additional 10% was provided. In addition, they got the parts and repaired it within a couple of days. This latter bit did come as a pleasant surprise as initially I was warned that spares are not easy to come by and there is a significantly long waiting time for parts these days. So I assume, some priority was given.

On the whole, a rebate that worked out to about 20-25%, rapid turn around time and provision of a loaner car (the latest version of Rapid DSG) during all this partially ameliorated the pain of this whole episode. Under the circumstances, I am okay with the service from Skoda and the local service centre. Boy, I am glad to be back driving the Octy.

My initial plan was to keep this car for a few more years, as it is uptodate in terms of kit and safety even after 7 years. However, the recent mechanical problems has prompted a rethink.

Should I stick with my Red Octy for another couple of years OR should I change! Thats the question. Statistically, another major mechanical failure should be unlikely over the next 2-3 years, but then ,if you torture data long enough, it will sing any song you want to hear.

Unfortunately , to get something that is even equivalent in terms of comfort (both front AND rear), kit and driving pleasure, I have to be willing to pay significantly more than what I had for this beauty 7 years ago! The options are not as wide as it would seem. Also, going the SUV route will involve some compromises.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by docsr : 11th April 2021 at 17:50. Reason: typos and spelling
docsr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So far so good. Everything seems back to normal.

On the whole, a rebate that worked out to about 20-25%

Should I stick with my Red Octy for another couple of years OR should I change!
Glad to hear your car is back on the road and you are satisfied by the resolution.

Can I please ask:

1. What was the final amount you paid so one can contextualise what a potential hiccup like this actually sets one back by; and

2. What kind of warranty have they offered you on the replacement part. I would have encouraged you to negotiate an enhanced warranty on such a major part if that was possible.

The closest priced car that is comparable to your Octavia is honestly only the 2021 Octavia. My personal advise. Keep your current car. You have taken the biggest depreciation hit, spent a sizeable amount on the most likely gremlin item. Even if you are prepared for other routine major maintenance like suspension etc it would still be worthwhile to take this car on for another 2 - 4 years at least. A Skoda car should age fairly well and merely because of this issue I would not recommend selling and buying a new Octavia (or similar alternative), which financially will set you back a fair amount needlessly prematurely.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th April 2021 at 06:01. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 20:52   #25
BHPian

Thanks Axe77.
The total bill came put around 1.18L.They have offered a 2 year warranty on parts and work done.

I agree with your analysis for the "to change or not change" dilemma, and will most likely adopt the course you have suggested.

Thanks.
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 21:17   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Should I stick with my Red Octy for another couple of years OR should I change! Thats the question.

Any thoughts?
You should retain your car, the major concern in VW/Skoda group related to DSG has been addressed. Now you have two year warranty, your service experience for surprisingly pleasant and post repair long drive you didn't see any issue, so why to sell? Unless you have extra cash and don't know where to put (I wish you are in that situation)
Old 26th April 2021, 12:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
When the key was turned, the instrument cluster would light up, but the ignition would not kick in and the engine would not start. Occasionally, there would be a message that said "Move the selector lever to position P/N".
Hi Everybody, I am posting this on behalf of my colleague who has a 4 year old Octavia 1.8 Petrol. He has been facing coolant issue and this very same battery issue, reported by docsr, for the past 2 years. Please find his email to skoda regarding this way back in 2019.

Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-mail1.png

Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-mail2.png

Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-mail3.png

Today morning he was getting ready to send the car on a flat bed for the coolant issue. Once the flatbed guy set everything my friend tried to start the vehicle and the battery died. Exact same problem with exact same error code Move the selector lever to P position etc. Very frustrating to see this. I was there for the morning walk and ended up watching all this first hand. I have heard about Skoda horror stories but this surely has left a very very bad taste. Then we brought a jump start guy and started the car.

Attaching pics from today morning.
Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-flatbedready.jpg
Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-jumpstart.jpg
Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-finally.jpg

My friend is a super calm person and hence he is bearing all this. If it were me i would have sold this in 2019 itself. What is the point of having a car which you are not confident about starting / taking it out anytime? Especially in this covid situation cars are becoming like second homes where we try to avoid outside contact as much as possible in case of a necessary travel.

Can someone suggest what my friend should do now? Does this also call for the same mechatronics replacement. Out of the 1.18 lacs that docsr has mentioned how much was covered in insurance? If you have any specific questions for my friend please post here i will get answers from him. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Dev
Old 26th April 2021, 13:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Should I stick with my Red Octy for another couple of years OR should I change!...
Sadly it seems like a YES! Financially you would have been better off had you upgraded before the breakdown. Assume a 7 year 1.8Tsi DSG Octy KA Regn# would have got you 5ish Lacs tops, now that 5ish means only 3.8Ish to you because of this spend.

Live with it and sell it off 2 years later on.

PS - Like one post mentioned in 1st page, it seems imperative to apportion 2Rs/Km ~avg, over and above fuel+oil+filters+insurance+brake+tyres for any VW Skoda or premium cars in India. It is like taking a car loan with a Recurring deposit at the same time!
Old 26th April 2021, 16:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Can someone suggest what my friend should do now?
My Friend tweeted this team-bhp article tagging Mr. Zac Hollis and got an instant reply. I feel happy about two things today 1) Thanks to teambhp for maintaining clutter free auto info because without teambhp we would have been in the dark not knowing where to start what to do 2)Feels great to see the head of a company acknowledging a customer's cry for help in public instantly. Cheers to him on a personal level. Appreciate that attitude very much. Following his tweet the dealer has also replied to the tweet.

Hope this 2+ year saga ends on a positive note for my friend and Skoda.

https://twitter.com/krish_indus/stat...79595080585217

Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-screenshot_20210426165022890_com.android.chrome.jpg

Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure-screenshot_20210426165049865_com.android.chrome.jpg

Regards
Dev
Old 26th April 2021, 18:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Axe77.
The total bill came put around 1.18L.They have offered a 2 year warranty on parts and work done.
I agree with your analysis for the "to change or not change" dilemma, and will most likely adopt the course you have suggested.
Thanks.
First of all, good that the problem is behind you.
Can you please confirm that they replaced the entire mechatronics module, when you say "parts"?

As for changing/not, would suggest that you keep the car till the 2-year warranty comes up for closure. That would mean you would have spent close to 9 years in all, adequate enough perhaps to consider the ownership?
The next car could be from the Big 3 league by then
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks