Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 23:31   #16
S15
BANNED

re: Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
gearbox fails, repair quote of 7.1 lakhs

[/ATTACH]
That is actually quite cheap. This is how much the manual gearbox for my 1.2 petrol Fabia costs.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/3700-gear...e-order=-price
S15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 05:21   #17
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Coming to the technical details, does anyone know what transmission is used by Hyundai? Is it their in house build or outsourced? And aren't child parts available through Mobis?
Hyundai-Kia donot outsource their gearbox. They have a division called “Hyundai TranSys” that manufactures all their gearboxes for their vehicles inhouse. (AT, MT, CVT, DCT, Medium/Heavy Duty commercial gearboxes).

This particular model used in the Petrol Creta is called “A6F17” described as :-
A - AT (torque converter)
6 - 6 speed
F - FWD
17 - 17KGM of torque

As listed on Boodmo
Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)-5f2bc2e7dd844fd18742ff4b0e561a9f.jpeg

A6F17 gearbox details
Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)-df5f0645e35e47d1b11f47481303828d.jpeg

Looks like it comes as a single unit instead of child parts
Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)-1c9532dc0a734ea487031bce9039a496.jpeg
drhoneycake is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 07:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
This particular model used in the Petrol Creta is called “A6F17” described as :-
A - AT (torque converter)
6 - 6 speed
F - FWD
17 - 17KGM of torque
The car is question is a diesel (CRDI) though.

This is the second 1L kms + done Creta Diesel AT which has had a catastrophic failure on T BHP. First one had an engine failure.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

As another benchmark, the infamous Skoda DQ200 dry clutch gearbox (used on the 1.2 & 1.8TSIs) like the Polo, Octavia, Superb, Karoq etc. is priced at 4L from Skoda Service.
itwasntme is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:08   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Hyundai-Kia donot outsource their gearbox. They have a division called “Hyundai TranSys” that manufactures all their gearboxes for their vehicles inhouse. (AT, MT, CVT, DCT, Medium/Heavy Duty commercial gearboxes)
Here's the one for Diesel AT

Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)-diesel.png
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

It's about time that original manufacturer parts are made available in plenty and at reasonable rates, 5.6 lakhs for an ancient torque converter, 6 speeds at that, is absolutely heart attack inducing. The whole value of the car is about 13 lakhs (ex-showroom), and about half of that is for a simple liquid driven propeller transmission? Unbelievable the amount of profits on such items, which is why they arm-lock us into extended warranties, extra warranty covers and useless additives, and push for new car sales well within 10 years.

Stuff like these shouldn't cost over a lakh, period, 2 tops including labor and taxes. Makes me want to baby my car with same transmission, even though I barely cross 3k on the RPM.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
That is actually quite cheap. This is how much the manual gearbox for my 1.2 petrol Fabia costs.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/3700-gear...e-order=-price
Off Topic:
Gearbox for the Skoda 1.2L costs 14.5 lakhs??
I don't remember the Fabia even retailing for that much!
Or are these companies marking their prices so exorbitantly that they can offer "discounts" and sell them at a more normal price!?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta with 1.15 lakh km | AT gearbox fails, quote of 7.1 lakhs | EDIT: Resolved (page 4)-screenshot_20210410120620.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 15:12   #23
BHPian

As sad as this is, what is the gearbox warranty ? Did it fail under warranty ? If it failed outside warranty then one can only “hope” that Hyundai replaces it in good will for free at a big discount. Not sure if it will be done completely free if it’s out of warranty. If it’s under warranty then they have to honour it.
rageshgr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 15:40   #24
BHPian

Hello,

Let me share some light here. We have a Hyundai i10 Automatic in family that has had similar Automatic transmission issues. The car is almost 12 years old now and i had this issue 3-4 years back. So it was well outside the warranty period.

It started with shifts being Jerky at first. After using for say 10-15 kms the Car would just not engage in reverse gear. I had enquired with the Hyundai Authorised service centre and if i remember correctly had got quote for obscene amounts to repair the same. They are of opinion that Auto Gearbox ( Torque converter ) , needs no service or repair and needs to be replaced.

However i was not ready to believe that this is a zero maintenance thing, Or that there was no way to fix it. I eventually gave it to my trusted mechanic and here is what we had to do.

Put an extremely good quality of Transmission Fluid ( i used liquimoly ) and had to flush it 2 times. I had read it on an internet forum that in cases like this replacing and flushing the transmission fluid with this particular one fixes it. I had quite a task arranging this fluid though. Anyway after first change it bettered a bit but was not 100% Normal . On 2nd replacement everything was working well. Meaning i had to use 2 times the quantity of oil then what it can hold.

Has it happened that your vehicle has travelled though a bit of flood where water may have entered the transmission. It may have happened in my case. Something like this does not show or give problem immediately but over time.

So in the end i have managed to fix the problem in 10-12k instead of lacs at the ASC. I do not want to blame any specific ASC for this. They neither have time to check and fix these things nor do they have capability. The sooner we accept this, the longer we will be able to use our vehicles . My belief is that if there is problem that the ASC cannot fix find someone outside who knows cars who can. 2 of my 3 cars are more than 10 years old and i am fairly confident that i can keep using them for close to 2 decades with love and care.

I have had no issue with this i10 in past 3-4 years now and is constantly in use and has done outstation trips also. One thing i did right was that from the time the problem first surfaced till the time it was totally fixed car ran less than 5000 Kms. So an unattended problem did not worsen the damage.

Hope you are able to fix this.
manishkapadia is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 18:52   #25
BHPian

All parts can fail including gearboxes. This car has run 100K+ kms. Failure is not acceptable but parts do fail. Without hearing Advaith Hyundai side of the story, we cannot come to a conclusion. There are many reasons that might have caused a genuine failure of the gearbox outside manufacturing defects.

That said and done, Hyundai spare parts are outsourced to their sister firm and the spares are not easily available.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 19:02   #26
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
All parts can fail including gearboxes. This car has run 100K+ kms. Failure is not acceptable but parts do fail. Without hearing Advaith Hyundai side of the story, we cannot come to a conclusion. There are many reasons that might have caused a genuine failure of the gearbox outside manufacturing defects.

That said and done, Hyundai spare parts are outsourced to their sister firm and the spares are not easily available.
The OP has stated he has been having issues with the gearbox since the car had run 43k kms. So the 100k km run distance excuse isn't really valid. What will Advaith Hyundai add to the story? It is Hyundai's AT gearbox at fault. The crux of the matter isn't that an ASS is charing 7L for a gearbox, it is the fact that a TC gearbox broke down so early, and the fact that despite the customers repeated concerns about a jerky transmission, nothing was done by the ASS.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 20:50   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai-Kia donot outsource their gearbox. They have a division called “Hyundai TranSys” that manufactures all their gearboxes for their vehicles inhouse. (AT, MT, CVT, DCT, Medium/Heavy Duty commercial gearboxes).
Then this justifies the need of better resolution of the problem rather than a complete transmission replacement. I checked in oriparts.com and child parts are visible. Even if it's the torque converter that has gone bust, it is still around 1L of repair compared to the entire transmission. Wonder what's the real issue.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Wonder what's the real issue.
I would LOVE to be proved wrong here. But the issue is -
  • Previous gen Hyundai car
  • Out of warranty
  • Hyundai
After owning 3 Hyundais - 2 directly, third in immediate family - for 3.5 lakhs, I guarantee you that the cost of maintenance increases 5 fold the moment a Hyundai crosses the 5-year mark.

From simple stuff like ORVM mirror to clutch/ suspension/ brakes - they will fleece you so much that you'll decide you need a new car. I'm talking about OE parts cost alone, and not in a scientific manner - parts that are shared with current models may still be cheaper than, for eg., Maruti.
ph03n!x is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
It's called "sealed for life".

This might be a very unpopular opinion, but any fluid which lubricates moving parts and is subject to mechanical friction and heat is bound to wear out over time and lose its viscosity, thus lowering efficiency. This happened in the case of my Jetta. The transaxle started whining at low speeds while taking turns and i was really puzzled that the sound refused to go away even after changing the front bearings. Thankfully, the service advisor stepped in, consulted the workshop floor manager and came to the conclusion that the tranny oil (which VW very optimistically claims is "sealed" for life) needed changing. I got it changed for a paltry sum of 6K and it's working perfectly since then.

I am obviously not jumping to conclusions that your ATF has caused this incident. However, I genuinely think manufacturers should prescribe intervals to change ATF every 5-6 years if not earlier.
Agree. Looks like VW/Skoda has started recognising this. Now ATF fluid change is being done at 45 k kms interval (Octavia, as per the service app). My vehicle had crossed that and went in for 60k kms / 4th year service. This ATF change was included as a new default in the service pack, which was purchased earlier, and the ATF change was done without any additional charges. This was not there in the service pack list earlier.

So, going by that, and as you had mentioned, Hyundai too has to do this. And in this particular case, with an issue reported at 47k kms and well within warranty period and some lathe work mentioned in the bill, Hyundai should do the replacement as goodwill. Else will create a lot of anxiety all across as Hyundai sells good volumes.

Hope Hyundai does not occupy the place which Skoda is putting all efforts to vacate!
Karvel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 16:06   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
I've narrowed down my options to torque converter automatic
Torque-converters are still the most reliable among all AT types. They have the lowest failure rate, and this thread is one of the rare examples of the same. Go ahead with your purchase, take the max possible extended warranty and have a good independent mechanic handy once the car is out of the warranty period. At an FNG, the OP's problem could be fixed for a small fraction of what the Hyundai stealership has quoted him.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed