Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another cost effective option would be to sell your Polo and buy another clean pre-owned example with airbags. Lateral upgrades rock! Please do read my article on the same. You could also get a Vento (more space) or a superior engine (1.6 TDI, 1.2 TSI).
Completely agree with GTO! You should have taken the total loss route and bought a new car with that money. Its very easy to get a Polo for less than 3 lakhs!

I got my 1.6 in mint condition (but 80000 km mileage) for that amount!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 17:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Thankfully everyone involved in the accident were safe.
You were safe as you decided on a structurally safe car and you mentioned you drive at slow speeds. The next accident may not be your fault, you may be a safe driver but these mistakes may happen due to other drivers. However, if there were to be a crash and it is a car or a truck or a bus at the other end, you need all of that structurally sound car and ABS and those airbags.

I hardly drive either of the cars and when I do, I love driving the VW Polo more than the Honda City. If an accident were to happen and my airbags are deployed, I would claim insurance and hope airbags are covered under insurance, and if insurance doesn’t cover it then, I will either pay and get those airbags installed or, I will sell that car and buy a car that has even more airbags and ESP.

My family is important for me and similarly, your family is important for you.

I humbly request you to either get the airbags fixed or, as GTO and others have mentioned, you could get another vehicle from VW stable like a used Polo.

Whatever you choose, it has to be a safe car with ABS and airbags please (with ESP even better).
GTsunny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 18:28   #18
BHPian

If you are looking at not replacing high cost parts, would you not replace the windshield if it breaks? What about replacing wore out tyres? This may sound ridiculous to you, the same way not replacing an life saving part like air bag is ridiculous too. If there are any financial constraints, I would suggest cutting expenses elsewhere or postponing the repairs but please do not take this dangerous shortcut.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:

This will be a Bangalore city car ONLY for daily chores and backup. I was going to buy an Activa and thought this would be safer. 2) Some emotions attached, no insurance claims for 7.5 years and every evaluator loved the way it was maintained.

I don't think buying a used car for 2+ laks would give me the same robustness and also a well maintained car as my VW Polo (or atleast it wouldn't be easy). Love and respect for the body of the car is tremendous.

I know I would still need Ganesha's blessings as someone has pointed out but I feel the risk is minimal.
Hi Abhatt
While I understand your emotions and reasoning, please don't take this route.

You are putting emotions and probability over safety.

Sometimes, we have to put emotions and reasoning on a back seat.
Please sell your ride and get a pre worshipped Polo.

Reasoning : 2 Lakhs from sale of current car + Money for Airbag and Dashboard Repair + A small margin can get you a pre-worshipped POLO whose build quality you love.
An online search can easily help you. Good Luck
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another cost effective option would be to sell your Polo and buy another clean pre-owned example with airbags.
Couldn't agree more with GTO! While I do understand the emotional attachment we BHPians share with cars, I think sometimes you just got to move on. I think at a similar price point you can get a newer, meaner and cleaner version of the Polo or perhaps a Vento too!

I also feel that mentally you wouldn't have the same driving peace on highways or areas where you hit triple digits knowing the fact that you're missing a crucial safety feature.

Having said that, we can't ignore the fact that such fixes happen all the time in India. There are local garages and workshops that would probably do something like that but I wholeheartedly advise against it.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Reasoning : 2 Lakhs from sale of current car + Money for Airbag and Dashboard Repair + A small margin can get you a pre-worshipped POLO whose build quality you love.
An online search can easily help you. Good Luck
Fully agree. Better than a used Polo, he can even get a Jetta for just a little bit more. It would be a great upgrade and would come with even more safety features like 8 airbags. Here in Delhi, you can easily pickup a 8 year old Jetta for around 2 to 3 lakhs. You can make it a lakh or two more down South and still it is a good deal.

Last edited by Lobogris : 11th April 2021 at 19:45.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 20:10   #22
BANNED

Common guys this man is asking for suggestions to get his Polo back in shape and we are unnecessarily imparting gyan on safety. People used to live before air bag days, people don’t die the moment they sit in a Maruti or non airbag car. Other people also have brains and can take decisions based on their personal situation and buying an ncap 5 or airbag car is not always a must.
If VW is not selling you trendline steering, you can source a steering from Maruti or other manufacturers who sell over the counter spares. The dashboard part doesn't look that bad and can be fixed by using glue or something, or maybe get it leather wrapped. Contact those Stanley guys.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2021 at 07:12. Reason: Let's not go overtly negative here
chaudh2s is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 20:11   #23
BHPian

Thanks guys. I started looking for a used Polo in Bangalore and couldnt find anything thats less than 3 laks. The decent ones are quoted above 4l. Am i missing something?
abhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 20:23   #24
BHPian

This thread is turning out to be surprisingly toxic with people taking jibes, and excessively displaying "holier than thou" behavior.

While I don't agree with what the OP is seeking to do, I think that being sarcastic, and mocking their train of thought is not going to be how we as a community will serve to be effective in our efforts to make positive change. Commenting on their economic sense, or their driving sense will only make people less likely to post such problems here. Is that what we are aiming for here?

The lack of empathy on this thread is surprising. We are unaware of the realities of people's lives, and it is unfair and quite problematic to jump to conclusions that question someone's intent and beliefs.

However, I would definitely recommend OP try and get a Total Loss claim for this car, and use the funds towards perhaps getting another used car. Think of the loss of money in resale when people will know that this car has gone through an accident.

In any case, I am glad that OP and family are safe.
prakhar1998 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 21:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
there is fat chance that airbags will be functional, and will make it easier for you to sell the car in future.
Quote:
Please help me with the contact of a garage in Bangalore where this can be done neatly.
There are multiple vendors in olx selling airbag/covers for most cars.Since you are patching it up,I suggest to go for airbag+cover.At the end,something is better than nothing.Attaching screenshot of such seller in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags-3dca4233f08d4d64b4bb39ecfac09826.png  

maheshm619 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 21:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know that your family, you as well as the biker turned out to be safe.

Two questions I have in this case (as well as In general):
  • As for the damages incurred, wont the bike's insurance be liable to pay for the repairs on the car ? Sorry If I missed it, but isn't that how it should be ?
  • Also a general question for those in the know, if a new airbag is not fitted back, wont it mess up the electronics ?
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:06   #27
BHPian

Oh.. My friend!! You've stepped into a minefield. Asking for repair advice for a vehicle to make it more unsafe than it previously was. Not the right place to tell you the truth.

While I do understand the financial aspect of the repairs, my Ford Figo had two of its six Airbags deployed in a relatively minor accident, you should never opt for repairs that reduce the safety quotient of your car. The safety framework of a modern car is the most important invisible component and should never be compromised with.

If you really like the car spend the extra bucks. The amount is nowhere close to your life.
Speedshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 00:01   #28
BHPian

I understand that you have emotional attachment with the vehicle but get this, it's part is done now and you'll have to let it go for the sake of your family's and your safety. Also, I personally feel that this city usage argument is totally baseless and is what is used by unsafe car buyers to justify their purchase. As GTO sir mentioned, sell it and do a lateral upgrade.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2021 at 07:01. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Lowflyer23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 00:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'm glad everyone involved in the accident was safe. I don't think VW ASS will repair the car without airbags as they'll be liable if as a brand if there are other more serious accidents involving the car.

Also, it'll be on the wrong side of ethics & legalities to sell the car later as critical safety systems are compromised. At least selling it now means that the buyer knows what he's getting.
Quote:
This will be a Bangalore city car ONLY for daily chores and backup. I was going to buy an Activa and thought this would be safer.
You posted the question on the forum to get an opinion. My two cents on this issue resonate with most others- get a used good car for the $$$. From a Polo to a Jazz, there are a lot of options.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th April 2021 at 00:29.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:09   #30
BHPian

I have chosen to ignore a few comments that tried to ridicule my decision. I get your perspective on safety and as I mentioned before I value it too. I will not try to justify this again.

- I don't need a Jetta or a 1.6 or a Vento. I want a city car that can help me go to the market with busy/narrow streets, can be easily parallel parked and can help me avoid being on 2 wheels. I find my decision to be a safer one from that perspective.

- My office commute is Whitefield to MG Road and for everyone who is aware of this route know that during the office hours, it's almost impossible to drive at speeds > 40 kmph with average speeds of < 10kmph. Hence if in cases where I can use my Polo as an alternate to Ola/Uber specially during Covid I do not see a challenge.

I find it totally safe to use the car for the above 2 use cases.

Safety is the reason you earn and you should spend on it but if you look at the other end of it then it is not safe to walk on the streets, it isn't to swim in the water on a beach, it isn't safe to sit in a roller coaster, it isn't to sit in a flight etc etc. Please understand the perspective and the use case before posting sharp comments. I have made this decision based on some conditions which justify it.

Thanks to a couple of people who decided to respond to the actual question in the post. I have never done any repairs nor fixed a scratch or a dent yet and hence am not aware of the options in the market. I want to explore. It's important to know the other side of the world as well and this Polo helps me make some friends outside the regular vendor market that I am so used to.
abhatt is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks