Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 15:02   #1
BHPian

Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags

Recently met with an accident that led to airbags getting deployed and an estimate of 3l which was called out for a Total loss (2.3l). Decided against it as I wanted to keep the car and went ahead with repairs without airbags.

Everything is now fixed however my dashboard is in a bad shape and those parts apparently cannot be procured without an airbag. The lower variants were without airbags however their parts apparently don't fit as per SA.

What are my repair options in Bangalore or Mumbai? Please help.

Attaching a picture of dash. I have kept this car in a very good condition and hoping to do so in future.

Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags-whatsapp-image-20210410-2.39.40-pm.jpeg
abhatt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 16:36   #2
BHPian

re: Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags

Hope everyone present in the car are safe.

Firstly, your idea of cost savings is good but there are certain things we need to understand with regards to the age of the vehicle, sourcing parts from other Asian countries to get the car repaired with a well facilitated FNG where the right tools are available to repair chassis and configuration of electronic component's can be performed.

My apprehension with degrading the dashboard, there are certain aspects we must understand such as, the whole SRS (supplemental restraint system components - airbag module, airbags, seat-belts, impact sensors) must be replaced along with BCM. Programming/configuration of both the ECM & BCM to a non airbag specifications is complicated and cannot be programmed at a regular workshop because in stock vehicles these modules are pre programmed compatible to the VIN specifications by the OEM's.

A T.L vehicle means having ample of issues post repair and the integrity of the core structure is absolutely hampered and it's equally risky to drive. I do understand the emotions of long term ownership of our motor-vehicles but sometimes we must let them R.I.P and move on.

My sincere apologies. Looking forward with the best outcomes for you as well as your car.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 18:27   #3
BHPian

At teambhp we do not advocate such type of jugaad repairs, I don't understand why do you want to remove a critical safety feature of the car which even the government has mandated from some time.

Only way I see to repair this is to source used parts and used airbag modules but still I wouldn't bet my life on them as they are one of the critical safety features of the car and slight thing/adjustment here or there will either make airbags pop up on a speedbreaker or won't inflate them when you need them.
revvharder is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 18:47   #4
BHPian

Although the best option would be to get new airbags fitted, but if you are keen on driving the car without airbags, then you can take it to any garage that deals in accidental repairs. They will just cut the airbags out and then seal the horn pad and dashboard. This is not something I would recommend, but anyway, here's a picture of such a job on a Ford Figo: Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags-20210410_183939.jpg
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 22:53   #5
BHPian

The airbags deployed, and since you have started this thread I am assuming that everyone involved is safe. So the safety features did their job of protecting the occupants and the amount of damage is significant enough to warrant consideration of writing off of the car.

Yet you want to do ‘jugaad’ to get something out of this whole episode. The very things that kept you safe, you are looking to ditch them to save cost and get the car running. Is it just me or is this getting crazier by the moment. It’s like you are asking the car; ‘What the heck, what else can you do for me, you lump of useless metal’.

Next time something like this happens, the ‘jugaad’ which will not protect you. Don’t be penny wise pound foolish, either spend the amount require to restore the car with all safety features or write it off, thank both, god and the car, for keeping you safe and buy a new one.
PratikPatel is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

WoW, 3L for a replacement of airbags? That is seriously costly? Are there any other damages to the front of the car / engine that warrants such a high cost?
govigov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 01:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
WoW, 3L for a replacement of airbags? That is seriously costly? Are there any other damages to the front of the car / engine that warrants such a high cost?
Airbag sensors, igniters and seatbelt tensioners are inherently expensive parts for any given car. It's not at all surprising that they easily run into 6 digit figures and can make up for a very large amount of the repair costs if the car is involved in a relatively minor shunt.

This is the reason why airbags not deploying in the case of a very low speed shunt is beneficial, though I obviously don't advocate driving around without them or having them switched off due to any reason.

Last edited by vishy76 : 11th April 2021 at 01:51.
vishy76 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 08:50   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags

Another cost effective option would be to sell your Polo and buy another clean pre-owned example with airbags. Lateral upgrades rock! Please do read my article on the same. You could also get a Vento (more space) or a superior engine (1.6 TDI, 1.2 TSI).
GTO is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 09:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the constraining issue - is it the budget, which could be the case or is it the time and trouble needed to get things repaired correctly? What about other damage done to the car especially the structure?

Hear me out - if you have needed the airbags once to save your limb and probably life too there is a slightly higher probability that you might need it again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be rude. Maybe the fault was 75% of the other guy but something, just something tiny in your driving judgement, done in micro seconds, must have contributed to this accident. Given the above I would strongly recommend doing the repairs the proper way not just for your sake but also your loved ones. Or take GTO's advice in post #9. Best of luck.
V.Narayan is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 09:40   #10
BHPian

Since @abhatt has not yet replied here, I’ll add some context to his query here with a quoted post from another thread. My guess is that since it was a low-speed impact (for @abhatt and not the biker), he’s feeling aggrieved at the big monetary hit he’s about to be hit with.

However, @abhatt: Please heed everyone’s advice and do not attempt to save money here by compromising on safety. You’ll earn that money again but there’s only one life, so a little extra expense is nothing in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Unfortunately I met with an accident in Chorla on my return from Goa. The "Duke" dude banged into my front bumper. I was travelling at 30 kmph where he was cruising at around 80kph at minimum. He was an enthusiastic biker (the ones who feel they are on the race track) twisting and turning his way in the ghats on the turn and ended up being on the wrong side of the road and lost his control. All of a sudden from no where before I could even react, he banged into my Polo.

My airbags got deployed and I now have an estimate of 3l for repairs. Thankfully no one was hurt including the biker. I have never claimed insurance in 7.5 years of me driving this vehicle and have done a lot of long drives. Suffering heavy financial loss now as the older vehicles do not have zero dep insurance.

I would strongly recommend against Chorla route as it is very narrow and every local driver i talked to said that they see accidents on daily basis on this route. In comparison, Amboli which is what I took when we went from Mumbai was a wider road and would prefer that any day.
Crow is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 10:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@abhatt, the point by GTO in post #9 would be a very sensible thing to do. And @Narayan's points are beyond what is normally considered by many people.

Apart from the high estimate, I feel there is a certain attachment to the car. And here is where GTO's point becomes valid again.

Do consider the above two responses.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I sympathize with the traumatic experience you and your family would have undergone. Hope that everyone is safe.
However, consider this to be a blessing in disguise.

Allow me to be direct here. No offense meant.

Going through some of the above posts - even it seems that the biker was primarily responsible for the accident, what stops another biker in the future to crash again into your car? God forbid, though!

The 'costly' repairs that you do now for getting the airbags restored, might again come into use.

Else, if you want to junk this car, buy another one (as GTO suggested), but one with airbags, please.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Airbag sensors, igniters and seatbelt tensioners are inherently expensive parts for any given car. It's not at all surprising that they easily run into 6 digit figures and can make up for a very large amount of the repair costs if the car is involved in a relatively minor shunt.
Wow, I never realised this. I was thinking of maybe the cost to be between 1 to 1.5L but 3L is an eye opener for me.

With insurance renewal around the corner, it really makes sense to go for the max available IDV value to help with instances such as this.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:47   #14
BHPian

BHPians,

Thanks a ton for your responses. I am sorry for the delayed response as I was off the grid yesterday.

Yes, thankfully everyone involved in the accident were safe. I was driving at 30 - 35 kmph but the biker was super fast and rammed into the front bumper on the wrong side of the road. We did not move an inch and nobody got injured or even moved within the Polo. However the impact was on the sensor and hence the airbags got deployed. Image of the car below

Crashed my VW Polo | Want to restore dashboard without airbags-whatsapp-image-20210411-11.30.33-am.jpeg

After a lot of back n forth we (family) decided to keep this car. In 2013, when I got it I stretched my budget and went for Highline model to get airbags as I value it more than anything as others mentioned. There were 2 factors that led to me deciding to keep it 1) During Covid, we might need a 2nd car. Cannot/ Do not want to rely on Ola/Uber. This will be a Bangalore city car ONLY for daily chores and backup. I was going to buy an Activa and thought this would be safer. 2) Some emotions attached, no insurance claims for 7.5 years and every evaluator loved the way it was maintained.

The SA already has got me a buyer paying 2+laks for this which I have refused. Hence I was looking for options to make my dash look great (or atleast better) again.

The plan is to keep this for 2 - 3 years more before we get an electric one for the city.

I don't think buying a used car for 2+ laks would give me the same robustness and also a well maintained car as my VW Polo (or atleast it wouldn't be easy). Love and respect for the body of the car is tremendous.

I have forcibly made my Dad swap his Brio for City to get airbags but his argument was that as a second car within the city where you are MOSTLY driving at < 40 kmph the body of VW should be good enough.

I know I would still need Ganesha's blessings as someone has pointed out but I feel the risk is minimal.

Please help me with the contact of a garage in Bangalore where this can be done neatly.
abhatt is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 12:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if it works properly, but I have seen people transplant airbags between cars of the same model, due to various reasons. You can easily source airbags from a crashed/scrapped polo. It would be way cheaper, and there is fat chance that airbags will be functional, and will make it easier for you to sell the car in future.

If you choose to not go this way, just get a dashboard/steering wheel from a trendline, and you will be good to go.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks