Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 18:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Apple AirTag as a car tracker

Has anyone tried using this as a vehicle tracker? Feeling tempted to buy one but not sure how this will work if the car is in a remote village where there are no iPhones around
Old 20th October 2021, 19:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

I have 3 tags and i use them in USA. Its not reliable to track anything accurately. A GPS based IOT device tracks better. For India go with internet enabled GPS trackers. Those are live, show accurate tracking and are not dependent on Iphone users to come to its vicinity.

My son wears the tag too and even though every other US person uses iphone i am still not able to track him accurately. Location is always approximate and not current.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 17:25   #48
BHPian

Bumping this thread to understand if anyone has bought airtag and placed (hid) it in their car and how has been the experience. Especially when your device is away from the airtag for extended period of time, does it keep beeping in the car.
I know that people actually remove the speaker of the airtag so it doesn't make sounds.
Old 29th July 2022, 10:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
My son wears the tag too and even though every other US person uses iphone i am still not able to track him accurately. Location is always approximate and not current.
Hi!

I was thinking to use one for similar purpose, though not many people use iOS devices here, so, that is an issue, but still. By how much approximate is the location, 500 meters / 1 kilometer?

Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:32   #50
BHPian

Doesn't work very well in India (Chandigarh). Almost never get a ping.
Old 29th July 2022, 10:33   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I use Apple Airtags to track my cars and have been doing so for a couple of years and more.
They work.
But the location is not always exact. And the relative rarity of apple devices in India is another reason for location updates to be fewer and farther between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

I was thinking to use one for similar purpose, though not many people use iOS devices here, so, that is an issue, but still. By how much approximate is the location, 500 meters / 1 kilometer?

Thanks.
Old 29th July 2022, 10:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is reasonably accurate, but it will depend on how close someone with an iOS device was. My pieces of baggage were left by AirCanada last month and delivered after three days. I could track to my home. Even the driver who came to deliver was surprised; how did I know where he went and where he stopped (tea break).

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
Doesn't work very well in India (Chandigarh). Almost never get a ping.
That's nothing to do with location, only the number of iOS users, which in Chandigarh should not be a concern. Something is not correct.

Great concept, only if Google and Apple can partner on this.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th July 2022 at 10:41.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks.
its off by 200 to 300 meters approximately. Moreover the pings are not accurate and hence by the time to figure out where your kid is he is gone.
Old 19th March 2024, 12:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

The credit card size elevation lab wallet insert is very discreet to track my wallet. Anybody using AirTag in their cars/bikes these days?
Attached Thumbnails
Apple AirTag as a car tracker-img_6566.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 19th March 2024 at 12:28.
Old 19th March 2024, 13:57   #55

Apple AirTag is an incredibly useful device; however, I do not use it because of compatibility only with the Apple Eco System. Additionally, AirTag's location cannot be shared with others, even if family sharing is enabled.

This is why I have been using the One-Lap Go portable GPS tracker for the past two years. This GPS tracker comes with a mobile app that is well-designed and intuitive. It offers a wide range of features and customization options, including historical tracking data, trip summaries, and the ability to share access with multiple users.

Installation is straightforward because it comes with a strong magnet that can be placed anywhere in your car at your convenience. The device installation does not require any wiring cuts. It comes with Airtel/Vi sims, and you can choose the sim you want.

The device costs roughly Rs. 5,000 with a first-year subscription. From the next year onwards, one needs to recharge the SIM with approximately Rs. 1800 annually.

The device's downside is that it can only support 2G SIM connectivity, and every 25 to 30 days, the battery needs to be charged again.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple AirTag as a car tracker-img_0207.jpg  

Apple AirTag as a car tracker-img_0208.jpg  

Apple AirTag as a car tracker-img_0206.jpg  

inner_roadster is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks