Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 21:01   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate

Firstly, I empathize with the owner and glad they are safe.

About the car - looking at the extent of damage, it seems to be a complete write-off. I'm sorry, but there appears very little practical chance that it could be repaired effectively: the car is crumpled beyond the firewall, airbags have deployed, the roof has crumpled and there seems to be all-round structural damage, which for a monocoque/unibody is terminal.

Having expectations of a repair is probably not realistic - this should be a write-off, with insurance payout, and moving onto another car - although distasteful, is likely the more doable option.

Last edited by theMAG : 25th April 2021 at 21:02.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 21:04   #77
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an insurance write off to me. No point repairing such a badly damaged car. Looks like everything from the A pillar forwards will need a replacement and also some behind that too. Looks like Nissan is trying to milk the Rs 20k as warehousing charges.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 25th April 2021 at 21:08.
Old 28th April 2021, 11:54   #78
BHPian

Maybe relevant to this thread. Hope the owner recovers soon.

JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 11:11   #79
Senior - BHPian

There clearly is a "Select All" button in the spare parts inventory management software used by Nissan dealers.
Old 25th April 2022, 19:25   #80
BHPian

I just have one word - "BEAUTIFUL". This is said with no sarcasm at all. The car performed beautifully. It took all the damage and kept the occupants safe. If I were the owner, I would claim total loss and pay the booking amount for the next Magnite. There is no possible way this car can be brought back to spec. Consider this as a big helmet that took a bump which needs to be replaced.

I spent a decade in the auto industry running a lot of simulations trying to figure out how exactly structures hold up to many loads. One among those "loads" are crashes. Have you seen some formula 1 crashes where the car liteally disintegrates to a million pieces and the driver walks out? This is the exact thing at play.

For those who are curious, you can see one of the virtual crash test simulations compared to a real one. Car companies run hundreds of these simulations before mass producing a car. By the time a car is sent for crash testing, the designers already have a fair idea of the score.

Most Viewed