Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:13   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-img20210411wa0034.jpg

Sometimes, the stupidity & lack of common sense in some organisations is hard to comprehend. This is perhaps the best example of the same, and the most absurd dealer quotation I have ever seen in my life . On a more positive note though, great to hear that the owner has recovered; the Magnite's 4-star crash test rating would surely have been a contributor.

The pricing of some parts does stand out. E.g. the side camera assembly is 47 grand before taxes!

Thanks to Indraharsha Kondamuri for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing his experience with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Hello GTO,

I'm Indraharsha from Andhra Pradesh. We as a middle class family purchased the Nissan Magnite Turbo XV Premium CVT not just because of aggressive pricing, but also for low maintenance costs assured by Nissan India.

Last month, I got hit by a Andhra Pradesh State RTC bus. This incident went viral on social media. Luckily, I survived the crash. Post accident, I was moved to the hospital & had no idea about the car. Some surgeries and observations took nearly a week in the hospital. My brother was dealing with the showroom and insurance company (United India Insurance).

When I came back home, I followed up on the status of our vehicle (currently at the Authorised Service Center). They sent me a repair estimate over email and it was a brain freeze moment for me . Nissan is marketing the Magnite as a pocket-friendly car, but they are prepared to loot you at service and spares. The fun fact is they've sent me the whole spare parts list of the Nissan Magnite as an estimate which is 20 odd lakhs INR. Also, they've told me to pay 1% of the estimate to get the gate pass generated for the vehicle.

The worst part is, Nissan's Service Center has estimated the vehicle repairs at the parking lot itself - they didn't even take the car inside the workshop to diagnose the damage. It's a blind estimate to squeeze 20,000 INR as 1% from the customer.

As the repair cost has exceeded 75% of the IDV, the car was considered a total loss.
Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-estpy5782page001.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-estpy5782page002.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-estpy5782page003.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-estpy5782page004.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-estpy5782page005.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-img20210411wa0031.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-img20210411wa0033.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-img20210411wa0027.jpg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-img20210411wa0028.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2021 at 10:28.
GTO is offline   (173) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

So, they plan to give a new car with the same VIN and keep half the amount for themselves

I hope this has no bearing on the spare and service of the inexpensive car for the people who own it. Guess they just followed the process but wasted time and want money for that

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd April 2021 at 10:37.
srishiva is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

How can someone over at the dealership/service center send an estimate like that ? Wont it cross their minds how absurd it will look, especially on a brand new model which costs only half of that estimate ! This should have been consulted with the higher ups before submitting such quotes to the customer. Also from what is seen in the pictures, that car does not inspire confidence to carry out the repair work. At the best, parts can be claimed from it for donor purposes.
TrackDay is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:48   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
How can someone over at the dealership/service center send an estimate like that ?
When they have to declare a car total loss, they do it this way only, but these guys went a bit too overboard. Be is 8 lac or 28 lac, it's a total loss only in every way.

Once a Santro in our circle met with an accident, nothing too major, but the repair estimate stood at 4 lac; for a 6 year old Santro

Let's appreciated the fact that the 4 star safety rating is actually there. Although it's a total loss case, what is this 1% demand for?

The repair estimate of this Polo Comfortline Petrol, back in 2016 was around 11 lac, the customer in this case was so happy with Polo and its safety, that he bought a Vento even before the claim was settled, his words were clear "high maintenance of the car is okay, my body is saved from maintenance, that matters".

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-polo-2.jpeg

Nissan Magnite accident | Dealership sends 21-lakh rupee repair estimate-polo-1.jpeg

Last edited by VKumar : 22nd April 2021 at 10:52.
VKumar is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the dealer misunderstood "4-star" worthiness in a crash. 5 stars and he would have charged 1000/- extra for a welcome drink too.

I agree with the owner. The car looks like a write-off even at first glance. It is normal for dealers to mark up the quote slightly to make sure insurance goes ahead with total loss, rather than repair.

But this is plain ridiculous.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure why the dealer even bothered to put a repair quote on a car with extensive structural damage, even if it was for insurance purposes. It is quite evident that this car is beyond repair. This is a total loss.

Hope the insurance company responds better than the Nissan Dealer. Indraharsha should really be getting an all new car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

The stupidity of some people is mindboggling.
Only positive thing is if one needs to find the spare parts price of Nissan Magnite, they have it handy in this estimate.
Looks like someone just included each and every spare part available for Magnite and prepared the estimate.
Would love to see the look on the face of the insurance surveyor and their reaction to this idiocy.
speedmiester is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the estimate includes new car on road price + hospitalization charges for the passengers + dealer charges to scrap the car.

One word to describe the dealer behaviour is RIDICULOUS. Milking the cow is ok but sucking blood from cow shouldn't be tolerated.

Please publish the name of the dealer. At least this helps other owners to be careful about the dealer while thinking to go to him and to an extent, reduces his business.
gkveda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:04   #10
BHPian

I feel so glad Indraharsha is safe and recovering from his injuries and so sorry about the loss of his car.

Having a glance at the repair estimate firstly I have to appreciate the bodyshop advisor for his/her efforts in providing such a detailed estimate and it is really a painstaking task in getting prices for this new model as OEM's take quiet sometime in updating certain parts update in their parts catalog. Looking at the estimate I couldn't find much of deviation with respect to parts list or labor charges as this model specific is AT and not MT.

In conclusion, I hope the insurance pays the right liable amount for the vehicle as early as possible, as it is a loss for both the insured and insurer there will also be some sort of deviation in the IDV settlement amount.

NOTE: FOR NEW VEHICLE Purhcase - Return to Invoice (RTI) is an "add on coverage" essential with others such as Nil Depreciation, Consumable Coverage and many others which must be opted 100% and renewal for the consecutive periods until the facility is available shall be helpful in retaining the maximum amount from the invoice value.

Last edited by sameerpatel90 : 22nd April 2021 at 11:15. Reason: sentence correction
sameerpatel90 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:05   #11
BHPian

This just seems like some junior SA hit Select all on the parts list and generated the quote.

Hope the owner gets his claim processed quickly and he is back on the road in a new car.

Edit: is that the CVT transmission that costs over 4.5L (item no 138). That is a bit overboard. Is the damn thing imported?

Last edited by JithinR : 22nd April 2021 at 11:10.
JithinR is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Sometimes, the stupidity & lack of common sense in some organisations is hard to comprehend. This is perhaps the best example of the same, and the most absurd dealer quotation I have ever seen in my life . On a more positive note though, great to hear that the owner has recovered; the Magnite's 4-star crash test rating would surely have been a contributor.
This is a common practice when it comes to declaring the car to be a total loss. Also when spares like Body shell, engine assembly, etc. are bought as spares, they cost a significantly high amount and does not seem logical, but thats how things work.
Maverick5490 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:19   #13
BHPian

Compared to the engine bay which is a total wreck, the front interior is almost untouched. If I were Nissan, I would leverage this calamity to market the safety factor and give this dude a brand new Magnite.
RedTerrano is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a huge crash and I am glad the driver is fine.

While it sounds like daylight robbery, I am not surprised with such a quote. It is a well known fact that OEM's have 10-20x markups for spares and hence in cases where the damage is so extensive this is bound to happen.

Forget Nissan, any OEM's quote for a similar list of parts will be 2-3x the cost of the new car.

Spares are a huge revenue source and hence this is not going to change in the future. Regular consumables and wear and tear parts will be priced reasonably but the others will always have huge markup's.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 22nd April 2021 at 11:22.
fiat_tarun is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am happy the driver is safe. Apart from that, I have just one simple advise, dump the car for total loss, take the insurance money and buy another car. No point in sending mails to Nissan, it's not going to change the situation much. I think there may be parking fees charged from the owner, should be a small amount (500/- per day generally).
Raghu M is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks