Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 14:42   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Does the Maruti Swift have a weak clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
1) Is there any way of knowing if he did indeed replace the whole assembly (apart from the fact the clutch is super smooth) 2) IS he right in saying that suspension related components too get affected by the clutch judder.
1) You cannot know for sure unless another mechanic you trust can open up the assembly and verify individually what portions of the assembly are new. You have flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, bearings etc. What description of parts changed have been given in the bill? Judder usually can be due to poor grip or holding ability within the main components of the clutch assembly (master/slave cylinder aren't usually the cause). Were there other signs of clutch wear like dodgy pickup and hardness of pedal?

2) Ball bearings - were the tyres up front where the bearings were replaced making any squeal/whistling noise when in motion? If so its possibly a bearing issue, if you never heard any noise you can only hope the service advisor was right. Broken bearings mostly come with clearly audible symptoms. Tie-rods, bushes, suspension etc are wear-tear parts, they will wear down eventually depending on type of roads driven, style of driving or both. All rubber parts of a car will wear out due to moisture, weather and resultant hardening. None of the parts mentioned in question 2 are directly related to clutch, again you have to hope that the advisor spoke with your best interest in mind. Bad tie-rods will result in uneven tyre wear, inaccurate steering & possible pulling either side.

From your post I can see that you didn't have any problem with the way the car drove other than initial judder, rest of the replacements were all suggestions of the service station. One thing I can say for sure : Its their responsibility to return the old parts not because we need it but as some surety of work done. Ensure you double check from next time onwards.

Last edited by dark.knight : 6th March 2015 at 14:48.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 15:36   #302
BHPian

Thanks for your replies. As I said, the place my father lives in is a small town and looks like the only MASS there did not have very competent SAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
1) Were there other signs of clutch wear like dodgy pickup and hardness of pedal? .
Yes. In gear acceleration was not very smooth as in it felt like there was sudden engagement and disengagement of the clutch assembly (somewhat like the pick up of battered city buses). But I thought it was all due to the clutch not engaging properly.

Quote:
Broken bearings mostly come with clearly audible symptoms..
I could definitely hear a squealing noise from the tyres especially when parking in my closed garage. But I mistook it for the squeal caused sometimes due to hand-brake being engaged for a long time. Since this is not the car I live with day in and day out, I never bothered to check which wheels made the sound.

Quote:
Bad tie-rods will result in uneven tyre wear, inaccurate steering & possible pulling either side...
Again. I felt the same and one of the front tyres (during the time they were replaced with a new set) had much more wear than the other. Pulling to one side. That too was there. But I thought it was due to improper alignment.

Quote:
From your post I can see that you didn't have any problem with the way the car drove other than initial judder, rest of the replacements were all suggestions of the service station. One thing I can say for sure : Its their responsibility to return the old parts not because we need it but as some surety of work done. Ensure you double check from next time onwards.
Yes. I always insist on looking at the old/replaced parts. Never had issue with either the Hyundai service or Honda (for bike) service. This one time I was little careless due to paucity of time and I totally forgot about it.
Old 6th March 2015, 21:35   #303
BANNED

Hi Guys,

I own a Swift VXi 2005 model and 57000 km driven

I hear a thud sound each time my car get a hump or pothole

I approached three maruti dealer everyone confirmed shoch absorber needs to be changes

RNS yeshwanthpur quoted Rs.57000
Nexus quotes Rs.10000
Local mechanic quotes Rs.7000

Please suggest which one to trust?
Old 6th March 2015, 22:10   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post
Hi Guys,

I own a Swift VXi 2005 model and 57000 km driven

I hear a thud sound each time my car get a hump or pothole

I approached three maruti dealer everyone confirmed shoch absorber needs to be changes

RNS yeshwanthpur quoted Rs.57000
Nexus quotes Rs.10000
Local mechanic quotes Rs.7000

Please suggest which one to trust?
57k is way too much for a set of shock absorbers. Did they mention any additional damaged parts to be replaced along with it?

I'm yet to change the original shocks in my Swift. However, the price was around 4k for my Zen if I remember correctly.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:16   #305
BANNED

I am sorry it is 17000....my mistake typo error

yes they mentioned couple of other things with it
Old 9th March 2015, 11:18   #306
BANNED

I got the break up now from RNS

Shock Absorbers 2800
Lower arm 1800
Link Rod 400
Bush Kit 180

he advises to change both sides on front

Including Tax and labour approximately 16k-17k

And the local mechanic says he will fix either Gabrial or monroe shocks....i do not know if they are good brands...Please advice

Last edited by alexrabbi : 9th March 2015 at 11:23. Reason: adding more details
Old 15th March 2015, 22:43   #307
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Finally i replaced my shocks/strut...

I went for local mechanic & costed me 6500 - Original Monroe strut

RNS & Nexus were quoting way too high

Last edited by alexrabbi : 15th March 2015 at 22:50. Reason: correction
Old 9th June 2023, 19:18   #308
Senior - BHPian

Does the current gen Swift also have this weak clutch issue?
Old 15th June 2023, 21:45   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the current gen Swift also have this weak clutch issue?
I think it might. I have a 2018 Dzire that's clocked 15k kms (not much but driven often) and the clutch is starting to harden. Was informed of the same during my recent service but ignored it until I got stuck a few times in heavy traffic. That's when I realised it's starting to pack up and harden thanks to the pain in my left knee. Otherwise it's perfectly fine and manageable.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks