Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 20:13   #31
BHPian

Re: How do you know when its time to overhaul the suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Personally, I’d either change just the rubber bushes, or insist on having the entire suspension changed. Shockers, ends, ball joints, link rods, tie rods.... everything. I don’t see the point of changing individual components one by one. Once they start wearing out, it’s only a matter of time when they all will need replacement. Better get everything changed in one go. Why pay labour and keep the car in the shop again and again?
It is a Safari Dicor and they changed everything except the shock absorbers. And it costs a bomb - about 27k for the front and about 8k for the rear in TASS. It has covered only 54000 km in all these years (>11).
Old 5th May 2021, 20:20   #32
BHPian

Nearing 2.9L kms on stock suspension (and stock clutch too) on my Verna 1.6CRDI. Not a single squeak, rattle or any other issue. Will get them changed proactively when she hits 3L on the ODO.
drhoneycake is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 13:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Strut mounting bushes
  • visible separation of top bush when viewed from the engine bay
Shock Absorbers -
  • bottoming out,
  • oil leaks from shocks
I had experienced the above in our 7 years old 46k kms run Honda Brio. Replaced the struts with OEM parts and the front bushes (they come in a pair). Sorted now, but this is a common issue with Hatchbacks and also to the fact that when needed we stuff as many people and luggage required!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 13:29   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is a Safari Dicor and they changed everything except the shock absorbers. And it costs a bomb - about 27k for the front and about 8k for the rear in TASS. It has covered only 54000 km in all these years (>11).
The old Dicor had a very complicated suspension assembly which wasn’t the most long lasting but extremely compliant. Still, after 11 years, one can expect rubber parts to age and harden up. The costs from TASS are fairly reasonable for a car like yours. It costs less then what a new set costs for the City, and evidently lasts a good 75% longer.

Our old Scorpio 2.6DI used to have its suspensions replaced every 12-15 months (running was very high and very rough, 40-50k every year) and the costs were similar to what TASS charged you. Mind you, I am talking of 10 years ago. Rocker arms and ends would give out and the car used to loose its alignment.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th May 2021 at 13:32.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 15:19   #35
BHPian

I recently got the suspensions changed on my friend's 19 year old Santro. The following symptoms made me go for it.
1. A strange noise which I can describe it as "breaking a pot with a rubber hammer", when going over potholes.
2. Extremely bad ride comfort at the rear. Almost gave me a backache within mins.
3. With the car on a service pit, I measured the gap between the coils on the rear suspension. It was accommodating two fingers. (My palm being vertical). Same in a relatively new Santro was taking in 3 fingers.

I am not sure if the 3rd point is valid technically. But I felt it was logical.
shrinz.vivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
In 2020, I shifted to Hosur (poorly-designed-speadbreaker-capital-of-the-world)
"poorly-designed-speadbreaker-capital-of-the-world" - this was hilarious! A lot of other Indian cities and towns would vie for the same title though!

Quote:
Can someone suggest what all signs I need to look our for my suspension assembly/shock absorbers/rubber mounts having given up on me? And whether 8 years is a good enough and acceptable time for the rubber mounts to become bad?
An extensive list of the signs to look out for have already been shared by other members, so I wouldn't repeat those. Here's what I suggest though:

The next time you drive your i10, think like a passenger (tough, we being petrolheads, but just for a moment ). Do you feel uncomfortable travelling in this car?

If yes, take a test drive of a relatively newer i10. Either a friend's, or you could also request the SA to let you accompany him when a relatively newer i10 checked in for service, goes out for a test drive. Does it feel better?

If yes, ask the SA to inspect the suspension set up (all four wheels) of your car, and report back to you with what he finds.

If answers to these questions were 'no', don't bother. Just ask your SA to check suspension as well, as part of the 'general checkup' during the next service. In case he finds leakages or finds any part worn out, ask him to send you pictures of those parts. Replace the worn out / damaged components. If you do, replace in sets of two (front both, rear both, or all four).

To summarize, as far as suspension is concerned, if the cars feels good, leave it alone!
sandeep.menon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 20:55   #37
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I'm not much familiar with mechanical parts but I'm very much aware when I'm given quotes more than necessary or when technicians mumble to each other that they got a golden egg hatching hen.

Bengaluru roads craters have ensured my suspension to fail on my 2009 Ritz VDi which is at 1 Lakh KMs. I've a long drive coming up and visited ASC to get an estimate. I felt the car is sort of uneven with one side of suspension gone. Co driver side seems to handle potholes very well but driver side suspensions have gone as its bottoming up.

Could someone please let me know if this fair and is it advisable to go ahead spend 25k on 2009 1L km run Ritz VDi.

Below is the rough estimate for parts & labour from MASS ASC. Though issue is front driver side the ASC guys wants to change all four tyres suspension setup as its 1L km.

Front Struts and Bushes - 11k
Lower arm - 4.5k
Suspension stabiliser rod - 2k
Caliper pin
Steering rack grease - 2k (steering rod replacement is 30k so just greasing)
Rear shock absorber - 5k (Does rear needs change ?)

I'm keenly looking to do lateral upgrade (but not able to let go of Ritz due to wonderful driver position of Ritz) with a Duster (but concerned about 110ps injector failures, Renault costly service and Duster owners asking extra premium)

The Garuda Automotive has sold their business to Kalyani Motors. I know the technicians there as I did 90k service, timing belt change over there.

The service head who I had met last time wasn't there but the new person was helpful in giving me a quote. Who would want to let go of easy cash coming

He got me the estimate through his team but said he can work on labour costs but parts he can't do anything about.

Thanks in advance.
Ritz2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 21:08   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

^ nothing unusual for the kms on the odometer, you won't go wrong by going with their estimate. Do inspect the bits that connect the gear lever to the gearbox while you are at it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 22:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm not much familiar with mechanical parts but I'm very much aware when I'm given quotes more than necessary or when technicians mumble to each other that they got a golden egg hatching hen...
This quote seems reasonable, and you'd have to do the overhaul on both sides, so I suspect it may cost you a little more than what they have quoted. This is actually a sort of "bait and upsell" kind of thing - once you have started the job, they may come back and say they found the condition of the other side equally bad and about to give away, and they recommend you change both shocks, etc etc.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 19:39   #40
BHPian

Hi,

I drive a 2019 I20 diesel in Bengaluru mostly and my current ODO reading is 35k KMS approximately.

Thanks to the Bengaluru roads, I hit a huge pot hole and my front right shock absorber is leaking oil. As the car is under warranty, I raised this issue during service and they agreed to replace it under warranty.

Now after replacing, front right shock absorber is new while left one will continue with old one which has done 35k KMS.

I informed service center that I will pay from my pocket for the left one as well but they denied as the car is under warranty and changing a part when it is fine will increase the parts failure % for manufacturer. He advised to change the right one under warranty and if you feel any difference or issues as left one is old and right one is new, then they will attend to it and check what can be done.

Should I get the right one changed alone or both?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you know when its time to overhaul the suspension?-img_0278.jpg  

Old 15th December 2021, 20:55   #41
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
Hi,

I drive a 2019 I20 diesel in Bengaluru mostly and my current ODO reading is 35k KMS approximately.

Thanks to the Bengaluru roads, I hit a huge pot hole and my front right shock absorber is leaking oil. As the car is under warranty, I raised this issue during service and they agreed to replace it under warranty.

Now after replacing, front right shock absorber is new while left one will continue with old one which has done 35k KMS.

I informed service center that I will pay from my pocket for the left one as well but they denied as the car is under warranty and changing a part when it is fine will increase the parts failure % for manufacturer. He advised to change the right one under warranty and if you feel any difference or issues as left one is old and right one is new, then they will attend to it and check what can be done.

If the car has done more 10k kms on the same struts, I wouldn't replace just one, would replace both, your car has done 35k kms, obviously the left strut is going to be soft and your cars handling won't be at its best. The struts aren't too costly, get it replaced. What ever gyaan the service advisor gave is BS, just tell them to replace it straight away.
Old 16th December 2021, 11:26   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
Hi,

Ideally it should not cause a problem. I suggest you use the car and see if you observe any perceivable degradation in the ride quality. If yes, then change the other shock absorber as well. Other wise do not bother.

I had a similar situation in our i20 as well. Right strut was changed @ 32k kms since it was leaking. The left strut was retained. I did not face any issues with the ride or handling.

But yes, if one strut has done around 50K kms then it makes sense to replace both of them.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 16th December 2021 at 11:28.
Old 6th February 2022, 13:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hello

I am having a 2013 i10 1.2 Kappa 2 (before the Grand). The car has clocked approx 50000 kms as on date. I upgraded from the stock 155/80/13 to Apollo 175/75/13 along with Neo alloys around the 33k mark.

Almost 40k kms of this journey (2013 - 2018) have been covered on well laid out roads of Chandigarh and surrounding cities, although my daily runs were 3 kms to office and 3 kms back to home. 2018-20 saw my car cover longer routes in Tirupur, Coimbatore etc, i.e, beautiful roads again. However, I had started to notice that the bonnet part felt slightly raised as compared to the back. Also, the car seems to get bogged down at the bottom even when I sit inside. In 2020, I shifted to Hosur (poorly-designed-speadbreaker-capital-of-the-world) and I have felt that the car is bottoming out on many of the horrendous speed breakers. Till now, I have had one of the plastic cladding in the front wheel wells shredded due to my tires hitting the bumper and dislodging it from the grooves.

I somehow have a theory that the suspension, especially the shock absorbers, have given up on me now. I did have one shock absorber changed in the 1st year under warranty, but 7 years and counting, nothing much has changed from 2013 in my car.

I am getting transferred back to Chandigarh next month, and plan to give my car a mid-life makeover. The tires are still good for another 20000 kms.

Can someone suggest what all signs I need to look our for my suspension assembly/shock absorbers/rubber mounts having given up on me? And whether 8 years is a good enough and acceptable time for the rubber mounts to become bad? I dont mind spending Rs 10-15k on the suspension assembly if it means my car is good to go for another 6 years without bothering my pocket much.

Thanks for making this Post Jasjot
I do have same query, though suspension of my Car doesn’t feel upto the mark .. I have i10 2011 MY with 1.2 L kappa engine and it has 57000 km on odometer.. I have taken it Hyundai service station and they have given me an estimate of 20k for the replacement of the following front suspension parts:
1. Steering rack
2. B Bush
3. Link rods
4. Lower arm ( not sure about this)
I am also attaching the picture with the cost mentioned for each part.

For now I have cancelled the installation but in future I would like to get it done ..

When I have examined those parts myself I didn’t see and major wear and tear from outside .. Service advisor told me that there are some bush which or internal parts which are broken.
So far I am not fully convinced to got with the replacement of whole assembly..

So Dear BHPians can anyone advise what I should do in this scenario.
Can anyone suggest a good service Center or garage for Hyundai cars in Pune City.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated ..
Attached Thumbnails
How do you know when its time to overhaul the suspension?-f9c4f5ceeaca42fba016cff2a92773a3.jpeg  

Old 6th February 2022, 18:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaus2002 View Post
1. Steering rack
2. B Bush
3. Link rods
4. Lower arm ( not sure about this)
I am also attaching the picture with the cost mentioned for each part.
Usually for steering racks, if bad then they tend to make creaking sounds or are difficult to turn or on rough surface they make noise. If you dont have any of this you can skip this for the moment.
B Bush i suppose is for the stabilizer bar and is not expensive.
Link rods/lower arms both of this would make noise when you go on rough roads and make khad khad noise.
If your not facing any of these you don't need to overhaul your suspension as of now.
Trust me when these parts wear out they make distinctive sounds which can be clearly heard from inside the car, that's the time to replace them. Dont unnecessary rush in to part replacement if it still has life in it would be my advise.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 22:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Usually for steering racks, if bad then they tend to make creaking sounds or are difficult to turn or on rough surface they make noise. If you dont have any of this you can skip this for the moment.
B Bush i suppose is for the stabilizer bar and is not expensive.
Link rods/lower arms both of this would make noise when you go on rough roads and make khad khad noise.
If your not facing any of these you don't need to overhaul your suspension as of now.
Trust me when these parts wear out they make distinctive sounds which can be clearly heard from inside the car, that's the time to replace them. Dont unnecessary rush in to part replacement if it still has life in it would be my advise.
Thanks so much for your response.. I’ll check and observe the points mentioned ..

Most Viewed