Team-BHP - Indica AC problem....Please help!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Indica AC problem....Please help! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/23671-indica-ac-problem-please-help.html)

Hi,

I just got my Indica serviced and asked them to top up the AC gas as well. Since, mine was an old model Indica, the TATA authorised dealer (Indicare) suggested me to go in for installing a FTP (i guess am using correct name- its a little thingy installed near accelator wire inside the bonnet) for increasing the RPM while AC on.

I returned home happily to find out the very next day that the cooling has went down drastically, but the RPM increased when i switched on the AC.
I went back to the guy, he tested and told me that he needs to check. Next day he called me up saying that its the problem with the compressor and he needs to get it repaired from outside and quoted me 5K. I already had a lot of issues with this guy, so decided to quit and get it done myself locally.

Today I went to a car accesory wala. without opening up the bonnet, this guy told me that theres a issue with the gas, cooling coil utregi and AC proper service hoga. Quoted me 2.5K for the work. Also that the compressor would be checked only when he'll refill the gas and if theres an issue with the compressor and if it needs to be changed, total would be app 13K.

I went to another guy, a mechanic....he opened up the bonnet, put a meter cum pipe thingy into a hole (covered with plastic) on a pipe which looked like a compressor pipe (extreme back of the bonnet). The meter read app 50. Then he accelerated, the reading went down marginally. He told me compressor is weak and offered me a trade in for a second hand compressor in good condition for 4K and quoted me a new one for 9K.

Am really confused which way to go. Please help.

Im not sure how it works for Indica though must be the same as Esteem, AC compressor has an Inlet and outlet valve, you remove the connection from the receiver/dryer and see if the pumping is good enough, if the pumping is good then your Compressor is good, normally when you keep your finger there it's thrown away such is the force. Be careful with AC mechanics they normally take you for a ride... I bought a second hand compressor for my old esteem for 4K, it works great

How old is your indica?
If you use AC most of the time, the AC compressor will last maybe 80K-1L kms

my indica is app 5 yr old, ac is on most of the times in summer. odo reads 95K. please suggest a good mechanic for AC in delhi.

Since the cooling went down suddenly I doubt its the compressor.
I suggest you get the condenser fan checked. IF the AC compressor is not cooled properly, it may lead to less cooling.
I suggest you wash the lower part of the bumper with water(to clear an debris), find an open road and hit 80+
This will ensure that your AC compressor is getting cool air. If even at this speed of running you feel cooling is less, then it may be either compressor gas issue or Compressor issue.
Another possibility is that they used the wrong grade of AC gas. Your compressor normally has written on top what gas to use (1497A or similar numbers).

I was also feeling that ac is not cooling in my indica as per my expectations, so I took my car to Shah service center in Noida Sec-2. They had free ac check up camp. They checked and said that everything is fine and there is nothing needs to be. I asked for Gas top up, as I am driven 65 K and have had no trouble so far but I was told that there is no need for top up. I guess you can also take your car to Shah to let them investigate the issue. They seem to be providing good support and my experience with them is very good among other tata authorized service centers like A-One motors noida, dhingra motors gurgaon etc.

some more suggestions please guyz! am still confused where to go. TATA authorised people are simply USELESS!

You havent mentioned anywhere in your post if you did actually install that FTP thingy. If you did why dont you get it removed and see if the problem persists.

yaar i got that FTP thingy installed....its basically for accelerating.

Panky - I believe I have someone who can sort this out for you. Will PM you the details shortly.

I would suggest you stick with Tata authorized service technicians. At least it comes with a warranty if they change anything. But if you know someone reliable, then its your call ultimately. I've never had any issues dealing with Tata mechanics and they've fixed every AC related problem that I've had.

Cheers!
Kartik

iraghava, i was waiting for ur PM.

i went to another guy today. he told me that the compressor is weak and he told me to replace it. as per him, going in for a second hand is an absolute no-no and gave me 2 options : subros and ceveron (i dont remember the exact name) from japan. he told me to go in for the latter as it was quite good. he told me that japan wala doesnt come with proper mounting etc and that he needs to customize it. total incl service was quoted to me was 12K and 12.5K respectively. Please suggest options where to get it done and at what price? iraghava, PM kar de yaar.

The AC in my Indica V2 DLS is behaving weird. A couple of months ago when i went on a long drive on a sunny day the AC just did not cool. There was no cooling at all. However, while returning from the drive in the night it cooled just fine.

Now, after i drive for 45 minutes or so the AC just stops cooling. The orange light on the AC button is on. I can feel the load on the engine as if the AC was on. When i turn the AC on after sometime it is fine again. This happened twice in the last two days. I think there might be some loose connection.

Experienced folks on the forum, could you please help?

I had the same problem with my Palio. Mornings it will work fine (even with the fan at 2nd speed setting). After about an hour or so, only the blower seemed to work and no cooling even on the highest fan speed. Cooling would be normal in the night.

My mechanic said it looked like low coolant level and said needed topping up. Got it done (Rs. 800/-) and now it works and cools well (even in the presently high temperatures that Poona is facing).

Funny thing was, while the gas being topped up (with the engine running, AC on and accelerator pressed), the poured cold water on the radiator. He says only that ensures a proper fill.

BTW, the temp gauge used to touch half way mark before this; now it is back to the earlier levels, somewhere between 30% to 40%.