Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 01:19   #121
BHPian

Re: Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue

While I'm all in for supporting Indian manufacturers, Tata have taken the market by storm with the "Safest car tag"
Based on my ownership experience with the Nexon bs6 which we picked up last year, I don't feel very safe.
As many of you have mentioned above, despite of having all resources, Tatas QC is way off the line.
While the car boasts all safety addons. I had a near death experience, within 2 months of taking delivery.

My power steering failed amidst an overtake on a highway

The car had no issues or tell tale signs for a glitch,
I was halfway through, overtaking a truck in front of me on an undivided narrow two lane NH stretch. Seeing the oncoming traffic away, I quickly wanted to get back on the left lane and something felt different.
It was horrifying when I realised my entire steering is stuck, as if it's on steering lock.
Immediately slotted into neutral as the AMT can only go down sequentially, meanwhile I somehow pushed the steering to turn 10-15° and pulled over to the right, getting me out of the road.
The cluster showed a steering warning lamp which disappeared after a restart. Since I couldn't notice any loss of fluid when I checked. Drove it to the SC nearby.
The technical team informed the car had no issues as the warning lamps aren't on. I insisted a scan, and as they took the car in the steering failed again.
After a full check, it was found that the power steering coupler wasn't locked in fully during assembly and hence it went loose over some pothole or bumps.
If I hadn't noticed the steering issue, for sure it would've been disastrous, and get termed as a driver error.
I had raised the issue to Tata which ended in some apologies and explanations.

The car haven't given any other troubles except for random rattles and squeaks from LH B pillar to which the SC says it's a weld issue, which has been common in some batches

I hope they ramp up their QC.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th June 2021 at 08:02. Reason: Please proof read your post before submitting it. Please space out after a punctuation mark. Thanks.
sohanbala is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 05:12   #122
Team-BHP Support

Wow. Reminds me of 2008

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...km-update.html (Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update)

History repeats itself!
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 16:46   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
OT alert but highly relevant... I read your thread and the subsequent posts and can't help having the feeling that either back then we were completey arrogant or we are highly sensitive now. Wat used to be minor "niggles" which we can live with are now coined as "highly unacceptable life threatening QC" issues now. I'm an old school guy who evolved from the original international engine Jeep and Mark 2 ambassador to the present gen cars. Are we becoming too finicky now? Mind you, I always take the sales advisors to the cleaners if they are not well informed but in my opinion, if the owner is more knowledgeable about cars, it will make it that much easier to live with his machine. That being said, TATA has to up its game. Leave you guys with this anecdote.
Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue-screenshot_20210613164053.jpg
Neil Roy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 05:11   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I find this anecdote quite silly.
I can make one too
  • 50 years ago the people were so stupid that cars they designed could kill you in a 40kmph crash. Todays cars will save you even at 100kmph
  • 50 years ago engineers were so dumb they could not even make cars with self adjusting valves

See, you can make any anecdotes

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2021 at 07:30. Reason: Small change (silly)
tsk1979 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 07:43   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I read your thread and the subsequent posts and can't help having the feeling that either back then we were completey arrogant or we are highly sensitive now. Wat used to be minor "niggles" which we can live with are now coined as "highly unacceptable life threatening QC" issues now. I'm an old school guy who evolved from the original international engine Jeep and Mark 2 ambassador to the present gen cars. Are we becoming too finicky now? Mind you, I always take the sales advisors to the cleaners if they are not well informed but in my opinion, if the owner is more knowledgeable about cars, it will make it that much easier to live with his machine. That being said, TATA has to up its game. Leave you guys with this anecdote.
I've noticed that the term, "niggle" is used liberally and often times not in the right context. Cars which are absolute lemons are classified as having niggles and I'm aghast.

Talking about anecdotes, how about this one? "When you order a cheeseburger at McDonalds then you expect a cheeseburger to be delivered. Nothing less and nothing more. Same thing every time at every McDonalds."

When someone pays 2 million rupees for a vehicle, then they have every right to demand the level of consistent quality that's expected at that price point. That's not being insensitive or finicky by any measure.

This thread (Your expectations from Tata / Mahindra products that cost over a Million Rupees)was relevant in 2010 and in 2021. Remember that customer expectations will and should only increase in a decade and not go backwards. I don't think Tata and Mahindra have done enough.
kiku007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 08:41   #126
BHPian

No offence meant guys. I'm just observing how people reacted just a decade before to problems compared to how they are reacting now. I too have booked a TATA Safari and expecting to take delivery this week. Still,Fact remains that if I'm proactive I can identify and solve the issues really early on because ultimately it is my life on the line.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:20   #127

We got our Safari on the 4th June and was very skeptical after reading your thread. I feel the car feels slightly incomplete and needs more attention. In a very typical Tata fashion, the car is good, but not the TASS.

Apparently, our right front Headlamp stopped working on the very first day and to our surprise came back to life the next day.

Here's a picture of Safari in the scenic background of Lansdowne.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue-20210613_091748.jpg  

hsingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 16:19   #128
Senior - BHPian

Probably because of initial niggles and breakdown, 1500 kms. run new 2021 Tata Safari already hits the used market.

Full story here: https://www.cartoq.com/used-cars/use...fari-for-sale/
Old 18th June 2021, 14:22   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
What's the appropriate resolution provided that the Tata handle replied there was ? Really curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Came across iamitp's post on power train failure on his ~ 7 month old Creta today. Reminded me of this thread and hence hopped over to see if the issue has been resolved. @soorya_sKa would you have an update for us?
Sadly, the strict lockdown has been a bane in our case. We may end up celebrating one month ownership of a motionless lemon by the upcoming 22nd.

Whatever the issue is, it seems to have drained the battery of the car. As of now, the car is simply unresponsive, or DEAD. Has to be manually locked by the key.
The car sits awaiting towing, and TASS can't do anything either as the service centre is still closed and has to stay that way till the end of lockdown.

All they've promised is to look at the car to 'sort the issue', nothing more, which they've already tried twice before with no fruit to bear.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue-img20210611wa0021.jpeg  

Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue-img20210611wa0017.jpeg  

soorya_sKa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 14:47   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorya_sKa View Post
As of now, the car is simply unresponsive, or DEAD. Has to be manually locked by the key.
The car sits awaiting towing, and TASS can't do anything either as the service centre is still closed and has to stay that way till the end of lockdown.
Probably, this might be the reason why TATA cars get 5 stars safety rating. A safest car is one which is completely immobile.

Really shame on TATA s for not being able to resolve the issue and being unresponsive.
gkveda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 13:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorya_sKa View Post

Whatever the issue is, it seems to have drained the battery of the car. As of now, the car is simply unresponsive, or DEAD. Has to be manually locked by the key.
Do you have any accessories fitted externally ??

Please try to jump-start using your friendly neighborhood "Jumper cable man"

Unless the battery was not charged fully before delivery (could be the case), there is no reason for this drain.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 13:42   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Unless the battery was not charged fully before delivery (could be the case), there is no reason for this drain.
Need not be external accessories. The car itself would consume quite some battery while being unused. In this case it would be more than normal which would lead to premature discharge of the battery.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 17:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Need not be external accessories. The car itself would consume quite some battery while being unused. In this case it would be more than normal which would lead to premature discharge of the battery.
This is true for all cars, the security system is the only active component, and power is used for analog/digital clock memory etc.

But unless the battery is already in a depleted state, it won't conk off like this. Personally, I have seen no issues for 3 months at a stretch non-usage.
Old 20th June 2021, 18:06   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is true for all cars, the security system is the only active component, and power is used for analog/digital clock memory etc.
This is only true for cars maybe more than ten years ago. Now we have much more than that using power when car isn't used. Allow me to explain this, since I work on these systems. Most ECUs in the car which need to work irrespective of ignition status would be having access to the battery power. The usage of this power is commanded by the network which will issue wake up and sleep signals and change the states of the ECU. Sometimes there would be network issues which will prevent ECUs from going to sleep. On the other hand, there could be software freeze in the ECU which will keep the ECU running and consuming power. Given how reliable Tata software and electronics are, it is possible that one or two ECUs wont go to sleep and continue consuming power even after shutting down the car.

Diagnosing these isnt easy, and hence such trial and error by the ASC and unresolved issues going on for a long time.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th June 2021 at 18:10.
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 09:36   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Diagnosing these isnt easy, and hence such trial and error by the ASC and unresolved issues going on for a long time.
True, what you have stated could be a 1 in a million scenario and ECU's have been there for almost 2 decades in Indian cars. Could be a rare occurrence, since if the ECU will not switch off the ignition will also not cut, which is a pretty common occurrence.

Unless this is that 1 in a million case, I wouldn't bet on this . Let's wait for the TASS to diagnose and we will know, instead of contemplating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks