Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 16:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Reminder: Not every DSG failure is a mechatronics issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
If it's just a multi-clutch failure, then it will cost you around 60k to replace.

If it's a mechatronics failure, then, considering your mileage it would be better to replace the whole GB. That would be around 1.5 to 2 lakhs.

Better to find an independent garage to fix it or sell the car as it is to a dealer if you're unwilling to spend so much on a 7 year old car.

Another option is to push BUB for a goodwill warranty assuming it's been serviced with them regularly till now.
I am hoping its just the multi-clutch, just simply looking at the costs.
In case of a Mechatronics failure, I would not bother going to an independent garage because of a previous experience with one while working on my Getz CRdi. Are there any garages one has had a previous experience of getting something similar done ?
Also, if the mechatronics unit is replaced from BUB, is there any warranty that they offer on the replaced parts ? I would prefer keeping the car for another year at least, given the paltry amount I would get for it.
Old 12th May 2022, 17:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
In case of a Mechatronics failure, I would not bother going to an independent garage because of a previous experience with one while working on my Getz CRdi. Are there any garages one has had a previous experience of getting something similar done ?
Also, if the mechatronics unit is replaced from BUB, is there any warranty that they offer on the replaced parts ? I would prefer keeping the car for another year at least, given the paltry amount I would get for it.
The cost of the mechatronics unit will be around 90k according to this post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5243864 (Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG failure | Quoted Rs 95000, no goodwill warranty from Skoda | Options?)

If that is palatable, then get it done with BUB itself. They should give around 2 years of warranty, but I'm not sure about that info so please check with them.

Still you could request them for goodwill discount as this is a well known failure.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 09:54   #33
BHPian

Got a quick update.
Dropped the car at B U Bhandari Wakad a week back.
My regular Service Advisor there is looking after it, and got back to me 2 days back.
The error code after scanning shows it as a Mechatronics Control Unit Failure.

Now I am not too aware of the procedures these guys follow but the SA told me that he needs to get an approval from someone sitting higher up, to open the gearbox / mechatronics unit to investigate further. It will take a minimum of 2 days for that to come through. Only after that, they can check if the Mechatronics needs to be replaced or not. I am not aware whether the Mechatronics control unit is a separate part or an integral one with main one.
The replacement cost as per SA will be approx. 1.2L - but again, it depends on whether the higher ups give permission to open the GB.

Would you guys recommend replacing the Mechatronics unit and keeping the car for another 2 years ?
Old 7th June 2022, 17:21   #34
BHPian

Final update !

Decided to sell off the car as it is, after much deliberation because I frankly do not have the time and money to spend on getting the Mechatronics replaced first, and then again the Multiclutch ! (Even if it hadn't gone bad just now, the tech guys in BUB workshop were of opinion that it will go bad in another year's time).
So signed the papers today, and handed over the keys to the VW dealer with a heavy heart. But I think it was a practical decision to let go of her after good 7 years !
Old 7th June 2022, 18:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Final update !
---
Decided to sell off the car as it is, after much deliberation because I frankly do not have the time and money to spend on getting the Mechatronics replaced first, and then again the Multiclutch ! (Even if it hadn't gone bad just now, the tech guys in BUB workshop were of opinion that it will go bad in another year's time).
So signed the papers today, and handed over the keys to the VW dealer with a heavy heart. But I think it was a practical decision to let go of her after good 7 years !
Just came across this..
Sorry to read about your ordeal! And disappointed to also read that BU Bhandari (Pune's authorized dealer) was not able to heed to your problems on time.

I know I am saying this in hindsight, but the dealer saying that the gearbox/clutch assembly will go bad again in a year's time is showing them in very poor light! I think you should anyway post a detailed feedback to customer.care@volkswagen.co.in, citing all the interactions between you and the authorized centre. Let them know what you went through.

The Vento TDi DSG is easily one of the best sedans out there in its segment. Even I owned one for 6.5+ years / 87,000 km and it was flawless.

If you are in the market for another car soon, wishing you all the best
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 15:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I know I am saying this in hindsight, but the dealer saying that the gearbox/clutch assembly will go bad again in a year's time is showing them in very poor light! I think you should anyway post a detailed feedback to customer.care@volkswagen.co.in, citing all the interactions between you and the authorized centre. Let them know what you went through.

The Vento TDi DSG is easily one of the best sedans out there in its segment. Even I owned one for 6.5+ years / 87,000 km and it was flawless.

If you are in the market for another car soon, wishing you all the best
Frankly speaking, they themselves were not confident regd. the Multiclutch failure from day 1. But again, I am sure they have burnt their fingers with similar case/s earlier and thus the lack of confidence in their own product !

And although I believe that these cars and their parts are definitely engineered to last for more than 1.25L KMs / 7 years without any major problems - the moment my SA said, 'Sir ! it has run 1.25L KMs !! These are regular wear & tear issues !!', 50% of my confidence in the car was lost. Especially when I have maintained it as per the company schedule and I get to hear about 'Regular Wear & Tear' so casually about a part that costs INR 1 lakh !

All said and done, Vento was one of the best sedans in the segment, and funnily enough, the TDi DSG is a beauty when & if it doesn't give you any troubles & It was by far, the best AT sedan to buy in 2015 !

Anyways, I did receive their payment today so finally got a closure on the matter !
Old 14th August 2022, 10:20   #37
adv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The objective of the post was something else = Dealers will blindly quote you for a mechatronics change even when the DSG problem was due to something else. A 2-lakh quote dropped to 90k just like that. Not every DSG breakdown is due to the mechatronics going bad.
Are these gearbox/ mechatronics failures also seen in Audis - more specifically the A3 or the Q3?
In case a mechatronics unit is replaced by an ASC, what’s the likelihood that it may fail again?

Most Viewed