Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 14:42   #31
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years

Sorry to hear about this issue buddy! Hope it is nothing major & gets recitified soon. A.S.S seems to be really helpful in your case (which they anyhow should be).

On a slightly different note though, with so many failures/issues being seen since times immemorial, in any type of Dual Clutch transmissions, I wonder why are they still used by the industry. Experts- any comments? I did try looking up data around the percentage of DCT/DSG failures vs CVT/TC failures but couldn't get any specific statistics.

I desperately wanted to buy the Polo TSI when I was in the market for my first car but didn't gather the courage to buy a DSG & chose mind over heart with a City CVT. I am up for an upgrade/replacement now & I genuinely don't know which brand to go which can give me as good peace of mind as a Honda with its reliable transmissions & overall experience.
Lazy Driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 15:32   #32
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years

Update - The Venue iMT got delivered yesterday afternoon. It came without an RC though the ST (same guy who visited yesterday from HASS) assured me that cops wouldn't pull it up and if they did, I could all call him. According to the Hyundai AM and HASS SA, they have ordered the actuator assembly from Chennai and it is in transit. Should reach by Sunday and they are saying once it does it is an 1-2 hour job. I should be able to get my car back by Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Later on you decided to go for Creta. Even I was also in the same boat for a year and eventually dropped DCT Seltos & Creta and went for City this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
I desperately wanted to buy the Polo TSI when I was in the market for my first car but didn't gather the courage to buy a DSG & chose mind over heart with a City CVT.
If only Honda or Toyota had an SUV/crossover in this segment! Would give the 20-25 lakh buyer a solid reliable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I hope the owners problem is sorted out soon enough. But, at what cost? I’m not talking about the tangible money. Rather, I’m talking about the confidence that’s taken away by this incident.
Absolutely. I will never be able to go on a long highway drive with complete confidence anymore in my Creta.

Last edited by iamitp : 11th June 2021 at 15:37.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 16:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. I will never be able to go on a long highway drive with complete confidence anymore in my Creta.
Though this should not have happened at the first place, as long as Hyundai fixes this to your satisfaction you should forget about this. The probability of your car breaking down will be very less and no point spoiling your ownership experience in that worry. Life already has so many uncertainties and let this be another one like that

Last edited by Eddy : 11th June 2021 at 16:33. Reason: Fixed quoted
sunikkat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 18:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
If only Honda or Toyota had an SUV/crossover in this segment! Would give the 20-25 lakh buyer a solid reliable option.
100 percent agreed! Honda as well as Toyota are missing huge chunks of cash, respect & market share by completely ignoring this segment while the Tatas & MGs of the worlds are happily eating away from what could have been their market share. If this is a well though of strategy- its time to upskill their strategy team! (I could have said fired but nah, I would not want someone to lose his/her job just because they are not churning out products as per my liking )

Nonetheless, I dont think you should read too much into the transmission issue- cars are machines & machines may fail at times. Many other things to worry about in life, your car malfunctioning should be the last one to worry about. Wish you many more happy miles with the Creta!
Lazy Driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 23:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny_ace View Post
It's not surprising that car manufacturers highly rated for their reliability (Toyota, Honda etc.) mostly have bigger NA engines mated to TC ATs or CVTs.
I always wondered why Honda and Toyota with their Hybrid Acccord and Camry respectively use these humongous 2.4 NA petrol engines with CVT's defeating the purpose of a fuel-efficient car.

IMO, it was best just slap these cars with turbo's and make everyone happy. But this thread has made me realize otherwise. They are still aiming for long term reliability
TechSavvy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 11:03   #36
BANNED

Hope the issue gets resolved sooner, don't let this falter your mental peace.

On an another note, this seems like a widespread issue among the Cretas and Seltos, since we have seen in past how arrogant Hyundai has been in acknowledging the numerous brake failure & steering failure issues (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!), wish this gets added to the official review's cons section just as Tata's a.s.s issue is added in every official review. Hope, ours being a unbiased & responsible forum, mention about these issues in the official review's cons section and help the innocent consumers who depend on team-bhp reviews.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 11:42   #37
BHPian

I was not expecting to see this as had always thought in Hyundai or Maruti reliability is paramount.

I own Rapid DSG and have read countless DSG issues but to read even in Hyundai DCT is not reliable then which brand is super reliable with DSG/DCT AT? Also if life span of these vehicles is 10years then what about EV life span. Will something like Kona last 15 years and more?

I am coming to realisation best is to buy fun to drive manual car and have a driver for office commutes. I have realized from driving Rapid DSG on office commutes nothing beats a chauffeur driven car or metro for peace of mind.
heydj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Life already has so many uncertainties and let this be another one like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
Many other things to worry about in life, your car malfunctioning should be the last one to worry about. Wish you many more happy miles with the Creta!
True. I am going to live assuming that what could have failed has failed and been fixed. I have been extremely fortunate that it happened 900 metres from my house, I got a quick and effective response from Hyundai and that I have been give lots of support and guidance by well-wishers on TeamBHP, Twitter, Facebook and Whatsapp. Have also made new friends and acquaintances due to this episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSavvy View Post
IMO, it was best just slap these cars with turbo's and make everyone happy. But this thread has made me realize otherwise. They are still aiming for long term reliability
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Hope, ours being a unbiased & responsible forum, mention about these issues in the official review's cons section and help the innocent consumers who depend on team-bhp reviews.
That's the beauty of TeamBHP. I hope my experience prepares and sensitises as many Creta buyers as possible on what could go wrong and what can be done when it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I own Rapid DSG and have read countless DSG issues but to read even in Hyundai DCT is not reliable then which brand is super reliable with DSG/DCT AT?
As per historical data - none! India is yet to see reliable DCT/DSG transmission on its roads. Will probably stay that way till ICE cars are replaced by EVs.
Old 12th June 2021, 19:40   #39
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I own Rapid DSG and have read countless DSG issues but to read even in Hyundai DCT is not reliable then which brand is super reliable with DSG/DCT AT?
There is no such thing as a super reliable dual clutch AT gearbox. All manufacturers offering dual clutch (VAG/Ford/Hyundai) have struggled when it comes to bulletproof reliability. If peace of mind is of prime importance, better to settle for a conventional AT gearbox.
ike is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:46   #40
BHPian

(Hopefully final, as far as this issue is concerned) Update - The replacement actuator assembly was received at HASS yesterday and was replaced last evening. The car was sanitised, washed, test-driven and is on the way to be home delivered to me right now.

After my earlier request, they asked me if I wanted to come and be present at the time of replacement. However, despite valuable inputs from experienced members here, I decided not to go. My reasoning was whatever could have gone wrong has gone wrong. If something was to be changed/done to my car it could have been done in the past 2-3 days at the workshop. I also lack the technical knowledge to scrutinise anything beyond the most basic things like screws/connectors left loose etc. Finally, I didn't see why HASS would miss doing a proper job/screw something up again after resolving the issue on priority, handing me a loaner car, follow ups by Hyundai AM when my car is well within warranty.

Anyway, I have told the service incharge that I'll give him final feedback and closure to this issue after driving the car around for a few days. Will return the Venue to them. Have also gotten in touch with my Sales Advisor from Himgiri Hyundai for extending the warranty upto 140K KM, from its current 5Y/50K KM plan.

Thanks for all the encouragement, support and suggestions over this ordeal. I sincerely hope that there is no further development regarding this issue
iamitp is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 15:05   #41
BHPian

- Had missed posting the Zero invoice received, so here it is.

Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years-whatsapp-image-20210615-1.48.47-pm.jpeg

Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years-whatsapp-image-20210615-1.48.39-pm.jpeg

- Have also opted to go for the extended warranty @ Rs. 23,834 for 4th & 5th Year or 1,40,000 KM.

- Attaching the current price list sent by HASS ST (excuse the poor quality photos)

Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years-whatsapp-image-20210615-1.50.42-pm-2.jpeg

Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years-whatsapp-image-20210615-1.50.42-pm-1.jpeg

Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years-whatsapp-image-20210615-1.50.42-pm.jpeg

- Fellow Creta owners, do note that the extended warranty prices go up by 10% or so after 90 days of purchase. I highly recommend getting it as soon as you can.

- Also don't get confused by the 5th year/4th year/4th & 5th year options mentioned. Hyundai takes the base duration as 3 years for all Wonder warranty durations an then offers prices for 4th year (standalone), 5th year (standalone and applicable if you had taken the 4th year standalone) and 4th & 5th year (applicable to most of us as it doesn't seem to make sense to take 4th and 5th year standalone).

EW Prices.pdf

- Prices across HASS are fixed for the extended warranty, however, some freebies can be negotiated. I got a free underbody coating coupon from Lamba Hyundai with a two month validity and they even sent someone with a card machine to swipe the extended warranty charge.

- Planning on going a longish test-drive to Gurgaon and back. Will go solo and during office hours so if something does go wrong I am well positioned.

- Will get the the tyres aligned and rotates as I had skipped doing that during the 10K service based on general TBHP advice. If you know any reliable places for the same in Delhi, do reply.

- If all goes well and the mods give consent, thinking about turning this into my long-term ownership thread?
iamitp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Ashwin S for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Hello Team

I am Ashwin, from Bangalore. I have been a follower of Team-BHP for many years. I would not call myself a hardcore motor enthusiast, but certainly have curious interests in cars and bikes and always try to keep myself updated about what is happening in the automobile world primarily using Team-BHP forums.

I wanted to bring to your notice the DCT failure issue I am facing currently with my 2020 Hyundai Creta.

Car Details:

Model: Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT SX(O)
Date of Purchase: October 2020
Kms Driven till date: 15,500

This was my first car with my own money (My family owned cars like Esteem, Swift Dzire, Ciaz, & i20). I learnt to drive at a young age and immediately got a license when I turned 18.

When I did TD of the Creta Turbo DCT combination, I immediately fell in love with the power and the way the DCT was shifting. I did a fair amount of research on DCT and was aware of the reliability of DCT's in India. I went ahead and took a risk, just that I did not expect to bear the brunt so soon.

Issue:

I was driving from Bangalore to Chennai with my better half on Thursday, October 21st afternoon. I usually maintain speeds up to 120 km/h on the highways, and occasionally go to sports mode or push the car up to 140 km/h if I find the road empty and safe. AT around 6.30 PM, when I crossed the busy Sriperumbudur junction at around 6 PM, I noticed the engine RPM abruptly rising. I was at a speed of ~30 to 40 km/h as there was traffic. Immediately the engine warning light came up and I noticed the vehicle had shifted to D1. I carefully managed to get off the highway(Luckily there was enough space beyond the highway shoulder at my location.) I switched my car off and started it again. The engine warning light was illuminated and an error came up in the display regarding emission control. I knew this was the same issue as mentioned in the article.

I tried to stay calm and tried their bluelink RSA button. Call never connected. Called customer care from my phone and booked an RSA pickup. RSA came within 45 minutes to the spot. I requested a flatbed. They politely complied with a zero degree flatbed and the driver was very professional and helpful. Car was sent to FPL Hyundai, Vanagaram, Chennai. We managed to reach our destination in Chennai with help from a friend.

The next day morning, I visited the service station. The SA was clueless and admitted this is the first time they are seeing an issue like this in the DCT model at their centre. I told them to start the diagnosis and give me the error code. It turned out to be the same P060194 error code. SA mentioned they will reach out to the senior technician for a full diagnosis and inform me by the evening of the next course of action. I get a call in the evening, and the SA says that the DCT Clutch Actuator has failed(Again the same issue as mentioned in the other thread). He says this will be replaced under warranty and will take 4 to 5 business days. By Sunday, we flew back to Bangalore and the car was in Chennai.

While I waited for the actuator to be replaced, I called my SA again and checked with him will the issue repeat even after the replacement. His reply to that gave me mixed feelings. He said that Hyundai is aware of certain issues in the DCT manufactured prior to Dec 2020. Apparently, they have a list of parts they expect to fail on the DCT and replacements are done with no questions asked. He even mentioned that my Vehicle is on the list of the vehicles which have problematic parts in DCT as per Hyundai. When I asked him why not issue a recall and replace the parts in question, he said Hyundai is doing this reactively based on complaints and not proactive about it.

I really look forward to putting this actuator failure behind me and taking the car on long highway drives, but this answer is making me over-think. I am not really sure if I will get the confidence in taking this car back on the highway. I really loved the way this car was behaving on the road with comfort and smooth gear shifts. Looking forward to your advice and inputs on what I should do.

Apologies, I don't have any pics. Only the job order sheet. Please let me know if you know any other details.

I will update you on the status of the car soon.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 01:06   #43
BHPian

Aah Perfect !!

My peace of mind goes for a toss

Well DCT's and peace of mind don't go hand in hand.

Took delivery on 2nd December 2020, have done 2900 Kms (Mostly cruising around NCR)

Fingers Crossed, Runs flawlessly and is fun to drive hopefully continuous to do so !!
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 09:34   #44
BHPian

So sorry to hear that. Hope the faulty parts are replaced soon and it gives you years of trouble free service. Another reminder to myself to stick with MT or Torque Converters
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:00   #45

Creta has a 7 speed DCT, DCT is a dual clutch transmission where in the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th gear works on one clutch. 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse works on second clutch. DCT has two actuators to operate this two clutches. In Creta DCT actuator of the second clutch fails, which leads to failure in engagement of 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse gears. Vehicle will be running in 1st gear and will jump to 3rd gear when speed increases and so on. Yes this concern has been repeated in initial lot of vehicles. I suppose countermeasures has been taken, as this is not reported after a specific VIN cutoff.
kunal_163 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks