Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 14:17   #46
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years

Would such DCT failures on Hyundai cars lead to a cautionary note mentioning the same in Team BHP's official reviews for Hyundai cars with this DCT gearbox, or is that privilege reserved only for VW/Skoda cars?

While this topic of DCT issues serves as a good subject to whine about for armchair warriors, in reality it is nothing more than a part replacement under warranty. This is exactly how it works, be the car a Hyundai/Kia or a VW/Skoda.

The key reason why warranty claims are denied by VW/Skoda is because some owners choose to do functional/serious mods - which is clearly stated as an exception to the warranty. There's a huge number of owners who continue to happily enjoy their DSG Skoda/VW's, which goes unnoticed in the sea of fanboy-driven criticism.

The quoted article/owner feedback summarizes precisely this - if an issue occurs in the DCT electronics, it SHALL be fixed under warranty. People who like to look at things as glass half empty would continue to whine, those who love how DCTs elevate the driving experience would continue to enjoy their cars.

Hope this thread increases awareness and the masses stop labeling a certain brand's DCT gearbox as being unreliable. Enlightenment is always welcome, better late than never.

Last edited by GoBlue : 1st November 2021 at 14:24.
GoBlue is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 16:25   #47
BHPian

re: Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years

Its more actuators on Creta/Seltos DCT(1.4L) failing, but yet to come across one on Sonet/Venue/i20/Verna(All 1.0L). Does it have something to do with the extra torque, or do all DCT owners need to get worried as Venue/Verna/i20 and Creta uses the same DCT.

I have a Venue DCT near to 20k kms and its working as good as day 1, and know a few who have completed over 60k kms as well. But one actuator issue on the 1.0L+DCT would cause an alarm because I would like Hyundai to be proactive and recall rather than wait and watch.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:50   #48
BHPian

Okay so after reading this, A chill went down my spine. I own a SX(O) DCT Oct 2020 Manufactured which has clocked 4.2K kms till date ( have only clocked 1k post April all thanks to the 2nd wave).
Recently got the 2nd service done and got Shell Fully synthetic engine oil. Post which the car is performing better and is a bit more smoother to drive.
But now going through the ordeals, I am having doubts about the reliability of the gearbox which I have been enjoying and boasting about the performance.
We ( a family of 3 with a 4 yrs old) love road trips and often try off beat locations. What about if the car decides to give up on one of those trips on the highway.
Did any of the DCT owners thought about checking with hyundai in case the actuators from the same batch can be replaced pro-actively and not waiting till it actually gives up?
I am thinking about giving it a try next week to see what can be done about it.
Old 2nd November 2021, 21:34   #49
BHPian

DCT clubbed with Shield of Trust warranty and Extended warranty certainly reduces the risk of shelling out big bucks at least till the time the vehicle is in warranty. When we took the delivery of Venue DCT my dad was reluctant to buy the SOT and EW but I had to force him to shell out that money because of issues highlighted. Another point I would like to share is that SOT covers 14 parts that the standard warranty does not cover and one of them is the clutch. Please note SOT is only valid till 60k/5 years. Not sure if its the same with Creta DCT also or not.
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Ashwin S for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Typical Hyundai behaviour, while they are on your face very welcoming, warm and will most likely give you no trouble in warranty replacements but there is a huge BUT, they are secretly not as consumer centric at all (which is a stupid thing as you can loose customers for life with this sneaky attitude, not to mention your reputation) and will never issue a recall, safety and inconvenience be dammed, they care about that last paisa they may save on some innocent soul who would not push enough and pay for the defect from their own pocket (I know many people who did and for their paint problem majority of people i know who have this issue paid themseleves to get it fixed) or they just pray that part never fails by some miracle on some of the affected cars so that they can save some money.

Needless to say this shady and sneaky attitude along with overpricing their cars shamelessly kind of makes me consider them only as a last resort when i purchase my next car, despite their cars themselves being hugely competent.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 10:03   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Would such DCT failures on Hyundai cars lead to a cautionary note mentioning the same in Team BHP's official reviews for Hyundai cars with this DCT gearbox, or is that privilege reserved only for VW/Skoda cars?.
If you happen to read our Seltos and Creta Official reviews, you will notice that this is clearly mentioned in the Dislike sections.

Also, I think you are forgetting that buyers do not keep cars just within warranty period and there is a considerable amount of time spent with the car outside warranty for most buyers. In this period, changing a DCT component such as the dual clutch pack or mechatronics is a 6 figure expense sometimes and a big blow to anyone.

The whole premise is that the DCT is simply unreliable and the failure rate is much much higher vs a CVT or regular transmission. Anyone buying a DCT should factor this in and in some cases avoid it altogether if they do not want to sign up for this risk.

There are people happy with DSG but there are also a lot of people unhappy. The DSG doesnt fail in all cars so expected that there will be happy owners.

You have to remember that if the DSG has a failure rate of 10% the regular TC boxes have 0.01%. In which case it is clear which is the more reliable box.

The problem is when people pretend to down play the failures of DCT leading to unsuspecting buyers having issues as seen on this thread be it VW/Skoda or Ford/Kia//Hyundai.

In the end this is with all DCT's.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if there are some technological integrations that are better than others. I haven't heard too many issues with Hector DCT or Compass DCT.
Old 4th November 2021, 11:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In the end this is with all DCT's
This was precisely my point, hope people stop associating DCT failures with VW/Skoda only.

Quote:
Also, I think you are forgetting that buyers do not keep cars just within warranty period and there is a considerable amount of time spent with the car outside warranty for most buyers.
I own a 1.2 GT TSI that has done 6+ years/60k km which has had a DSG failure outside the extended warranty period. Appears improbable that I would forget that there would be other buyers with similar use-cases.

Quote:
You have to remember that if the DSG has a failure rate of 10% the regular TC boxes have 0.01%. In which case it is clear which is the more reliable box.
I did NOT claim that a DSG gearbox system is reliable, doesn't seem relevant to this conversation.

Quote:
The problem is when people pretend to down play the failures of DCT leading to unsuspecting buyers having issues as seen on this thread be it VW/Skoda or Ford/Kia//Hyundai.
The problem is also that there are several armchair warriors exaggerating the issues with a DCT gearbox, so much so, that one can see many people on the forum dismissing one outright (without having ever driven a car with one).

Have shared an opinion based on personal experience, where the replacement (for DSG failure) was done in the 6th year when the car was outside of standard + extended warranty period. If that qualifies as "pretending to downplay", so be it.

The very reason that "unsuspecting" Korean-car-with-DCT buyers exist is because this DCT issue has been primarily associated with VW/Skoda cars.

Last edited by GoBlue : 4th November 2021 at 11:45.
Old 4th November 2021, 11:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I haven't heard too many issues with Hector DCT or Compass DCT.
The volumes of Hector and Compass DCT are far lower than those of others such as Creta/Seltos etc. in my opinion.

So, likelihood of Creta/Seltos DCT failure are also more than those.

What I have come to believe is that if one is buying an AT, prefer Torque converter (TC) or CVT AT over DCT, DSG (DQ200 mainly).
PaddleShifter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:27   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I wonder if there are some technological integrations that are better than others. I haven't heard too many issues with Hector DCT or Compass DCT.
Hector DCT was stopped and replaced with CVT due to issues.

The Compass 1.4L DDCT was also plagues with issues and you can see nobody even looks at a Compass petrol DDCT as an option.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 20:47   #56
BHPian

Just wanted to check if there has been any feedback from either Hyundai or Kia regarding the gearboxes. VW group has gone on record to say that they are constantly improving their DQ200 and it is far less prone to issues (not sure what all have they changed or improved, if at all). Their infamous gearbox will also be used in Slavia.

However, I have not seen any such clarification from either of these brands.
Old 20th June 2022, 19:55   #57
BHPian

DCT Fails again after 1 year: 6-month old Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure

Bumping up this thread for all the wrong reasons: My Creta's DCT failed again after 1 year.

I was driving down back from Neemrana to Delhi, I stopped at a Dhaba for a bio-break. When I restarted I noticed that the car is sluggish to upshift, then the dreaded malfunction message appeared on the touchscreen and the engine light lit up.

The car was picked up by Lamba HASS today, and by evening they said the issue was due to a coupler connection. They claim to have resolved the issue, after a couple of test drives. I am not entirely convinced that I can drive this car with 'peace of mind' ever again, but what choice do I have.

We DCT owners are the smallest of the Hyundai Creta 2020 buyer group, and HMIL is a giant which can get away with selling cars that are destined to break down.

Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure. EDIT: Problems continue even after 2 years-whatsapp-image-20220619-8.38.52-pm.jpeg

It's Skoda/Volkswage all over again! I hope Team-BHP mods can start putting DCT disclaimers on the Official reviews from henceforth.

Anyway, let me also jot down a 30K long-term review while I am at it. The latest 30K service cost is as follows:

Service Cost
  • Engine oil and oil filter 2500
  • Air filter 400
  • Paid service 2500
  • Wheel alignment 850
  • Wheel balancing 800+weight
  • Evaporater cleaning 1900
  • Cowltop cleaning 800
  • Caliper greasing 700
  • Injector cleaning 850
  • Lubrication 400
  • Ac disinfectant 600
  • Crossmember Lubrication 1000
Total 13150+GST

Being a BHPian, I have asked them to omit wheel alignment and balancing, but it should give you an idea of the costs involved.

Mileage
In City (Delhi NCR) - 10 KMPL at best if driven sensibly; 7-8 with if driven hard or through dense traffic
On Highways - 15-17 KMPL depending on the quality of the highway

Driving experience
The 1.4 T-GDI DCT is fun to push around. While there is a bit of lag when you floor the accelerator, it is compensated in the Sports mode and can be negated by using paddle shifters. You will see mileage drop to 5-6 KMPL when you do push the engine though. The handling isn't bad for a car of this segment, and the ride quality is also quite good.

Long-term usability issues
  • Annoying 'auto-off' feature of the air purifier which turns off the unit after the cabin AQI drops below a threshold but doesn't auto-turn on when the AQI goes up. The unit also disables the screen lock after power off, so your elbow will keep triggering the screen as you rest your hand on the handrest, till you manually lock the screen in the touchscreen.
  • The grey paint in the steering garnish has come off where my hand rubs against it the most. The paddle shifters have also started showing some nail scratches.
  • My battery had conked off around 25K, till the RSA came and revived it. Was advised to disconnect by the dashcam when powering off the car. Since then the battery has been fine.
  • Blue-link is mostly useless, as the remote commands often fail due to network availability and even in the best-case scenario take a good 10 seconds. The voice assistant is really bad, and I just use Siri or Google Assistant.
  • I bought an all-black car which has been a pain to maintain, despite ceramic coating and expensive car wash bills. Black cars are just not made for the dusty and hot Indian environment. The all-black interiors hide grime but also easily show a layer of dust.

Features I miss
  • Memory seats and lumbar support - Despite electronic controls it is a pain readjusting the seats after lending the car to family and valets. I also miss lumbar support.
  • 360-degree camera - Haven't gone the aftermarket route due to the aforementioned battery issues
  • Storage spaces - The cupholders are placed inconveniently between the handrest and the gear lever. I have placed a small bin and hand sanitiser in them which keep rubbing against my wrist whenever I change gears. Turned off wireless charging so I can use the space for keeping the phone, and small objects. Wish the car had some spaces on the front dash for knick-knacks.

Some other points to be noted
  • The panoramic sunroof is only worthwhile if your rear seat is going to be occupied. From the front seats, the extra sunroof length doesn't make much of a difference.
  • I got the maximum extended warranty available given the failure rate of the DCTs, and to maintain some resale value.
  • The TPMS sensor lights up sometimes even when the pressure is within prescribed limits. Topping it to the max prescribed limit and then releasing some air does the trick.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th August 2022 at 13:21. Reason: Minor formatting change
iamitp is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 22:33   #58
CSA

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2022 at 10:59.
CSA is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:18   #59
BHPian

Woah,

Wondering where mine is gonna leave me stranded (hopefully touchwood fingers-crossed NOT), 1 year and 30K service done, wow sir you have put some kilometres on the ODO.

If there's a faulty part hyundai knows about, why don't they just recall, how much cost are they gonna cut after abysmal 3 Star NCAP

DCT is fun with the turbo no doubts, but just doesn't work in our conditions . This december our creta completes 2 years and it has just surpassed 5000 on the ODO, most usage remains on open roads so no heavy traffic driving. Hopefully keeping the DCT gods happy?

The FE figures you mentioned represent pretty much the ideal FE in Delhi, I drive sedately in the traffic leaving a substantial gap so if the car infront slows down i don't have to brake and accelerate again, manages a healthy 12.5 kmpl. Drive it hard and you're blessed with 5 kmpl, love it !!

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 22nd June 2022 at 08:20.
Old 18th August 2022, 16:19   #60
BHPian

Re: DCT Fails again after 1 year: 6-month old Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT develops powertrain failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post

Service Cost
  • Engine oil and oil filter 2500
  • Air filter 400
  • Paid service 2500
  • Wheel alignment 850
  • Wheel balancing 800+weight
  • Evaporater cleaning 1900
  • Cowltop cleaning 800
  • Caliper greasing 700
  • Injector cleaning 850
  • Lubrication 400
  • Ac disinfectant 600
  • Crossmember Lubrication 1000
Total 13150+GST

Being a BHPian, I have asked them to omit wheel alignment and balancing, but it should give you an idea of the costs involved.
Leaving aside your DCT woes, are these costs just an estimate or did you get them done? Cowl top cleaning for 800, seriously?
Everything after wheel balancing is all unnecessary stuff, and if you did indeed pay them, they pulled a fast one on you.

As a general rule, I stick to what the service manual says and get wheel alignment & balancing done once a year at a trusted shop for tyre+suspension longevity.
MotoBlip is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed