Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2007, 09:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange noise from Indigo.

My dad's Indigo is producing a strange gurgling+scraping noise, but produced in metal (ie, not produced by any sort of fluid, but noise is similar). It can also be thought of as the sound a big heavy metal ball would make while rolling on another metal surface.
When taken to the A.S.S. , they replaced the power steering oil pipe, and also checked the entire system for leakage. Also, a faulty engine C-Mount was replaced. The power steering belt tension was checked for noise too. We got the car back yesterday, and for the first 10 kms, the noise had gone. But then it was back with a vengeance, louder than it appeared to be earlier. The car is going in again to the dealers on Monday (we called him immediately after the problem reappeared)... any tips/pointers on what to check/look out for ?
Old 6th May 2007, 09:43   #2
BHPian

Just thinking if it is the brakes. Does the sound increase when applying brake? I do remember something similar happenning on my Ford Taurus, but the sound was only when applying the brake.
Old 6th May 2007, 09:45   #3
BHPian

i'm not too sure about this....... but when the rear wheel bearings on my M1000 packed up i ended up with similar noises. A sort of scraping/gurgling noise from the rear..... more prominent at higher speeds. Maybe you should ask them to check all 4 wheel bearings.

The gurus should be able help you out.
Old 6th May 2007, 10:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion flipsyde. But you mentioned noise being more prominent at high speeds. But in my case, the noise is very loud and prominent at low speeds. Especially in stop and go traffic with bad roads. (ie, all of Pune).
Old 6th May 2007, 12:21   #5
BHPian

If the sound is from the front get your struts checked.
Old 6th May 2007, 15:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Does the noise change with engine revs?
Old 6th May 2007, 16:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does the noise change with engine revs?
No, it remains constant irrespective of the engine revs.

@Deep_bang : Even I thought it might be the brakes, but then, its not produced at any particular instance. ie, not even all bad roads can produce it.. but 90% of them do, and so does 60% smooth tarmac. Surprisingly, the car remained very well behaved at the service station.

Also, the engine seems to lift itself slightly, when the car is put into gear and moved forward. Is this normal behaviour?

Last edited by sajo : 6th May 2007 at 16:32.
Old 6th May 2007, 22:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

One more question, does the noice come even when the car is not moving, i.e. just idling.
Is there any change in noise when AC is switched on etc.,
I am trying to figure out whether the noise is related to a part for which speed varies with respect to engine speed, or is it related to a part where the speed of the engine is not of any consequence.
Old 6th May 2007, 23:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

There is no noise during idling... also doesnt change when the AC is switched on or off. So I think its related to something for which the engine speed doesnt matter. Only motion does..and is more audible at low speeds. If I can, I will record the sound tomorrow and post it here.
Old 7th May 2007, 00:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Could it be something as simple as a mount coming loose and during motion scraping with some other body part, say wheels? Have you tried to bend down and inspect whether there is something that is hanging loose? Or maybe opened the bonnet and peered in to see if something loose is vibrating enough to make you suspect that it may start touching other parts during motion?
Old 7th May 2007, 02:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

It most probably the silencer pipe. Indica/go exhaust pipes are tied by flimsy clamps which come off easily
Old 7th May 2007, 07:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Zappo : Been doing that every now and then. As I said in my first post, a suspect mount was replaced even.
Peering under the hood during idling reveals no loose or hanging parts, nor does the underbody.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:59   #13
BHPian

have you ruled out the possibility of bearings causing the problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks