Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2021, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 Hyundai Creta 1.4L DCT | Electronic issues, warnings & gear won't engage

While i completely understand the pain with so many issues coming up on a brand new car, not sure why are we DCT-bashing here.

Dont think the gearbox is at any fault in this specific case. Problematic instrument cluster and faulty wiring issues has equal likelihood of occurring on any Creta irrespective of the transmission.

While, DCT is notorious and the bashing is not unfounded, i do believe it just requires more TLC (Tender, love and care) compared to other Automatic technologies. Especially for Korean ones, which are definitely much more reliable than ernstwhile DSG (DQ200) options.

I have been using the same engine - gearbox combo in Seltos and done fair bit of driving in all sorts of conditions and terrains but the gearbox has performed faultlessly. Now, i will admit i do few specific things which i would not have cared for with a TC or CVT like:
1. Move to N or P while standing
2. Avoid clutch riding

I have gotten used to this now and feel the positives outweigh for these minor adjustments. But, also, had my usage been greater than probably 2,000 kms per month, i would have avoided DCT.
VS1811 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:56   #17
BHPian

Re: 2021 Hyundai Creta 1.4L DCT | Electronic issues, warnings & gear won't engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1811 View Post
2. Avoid clutch riding
How would you do this in an automatic?
kpkeerthi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
How would you do this in an automatic?
I meant, brake / clutch riding. That is, half depressing brake pedal for car to creep forward. I try to release it completely and not ride the car with half depressed brake.

Apologies for not being clear.
VS1811 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:18   #19
BHPian

Some how I am thinking this is a very simple issue of some input not being received correctly by the gearbox control system. The hard part is figuring out what exactly. Is it some failed electronic component/sensor that is confusing the gear box or something else? I do not think the service centers in India are properly equipped and trained to troubleshoot these sort of issues. It requires quite a bit of technical know how to do this.

I would not recommend the DCT in conditions that exist in India. I have owned the T-GDI/7 DCT combo for 2 years in the US, albeit, in the shape of the Elantra Sport and with a much more powerful 1.6L engine generating upwards of 200hp. The DCT was never as smooth as a traditional automatic even though it was quick and direct. Reliability was a question for me, but the conditions in the US do not have as much traffic crawls as we have in India. So the car never showed any signs of problems, but there were definite signs of the DCT ageing as the miles clocked up.

When using a DCT one needs to be conscious that this unit still employs a clutch to enable the motion, so as much as possible one must be extra conscious to avoid slippage as in crawling through traffic using creep and brake. This will cause unwanted wear and it will be similar to riding the clutch on a manual. The only difference is that in a manual the clutch can be easily replaced if worn out, not in the DCT. In effect we would need to relearn driving techniques in order to safeguard our expensive property. Otherwise it's asking for trouble.
alphahere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:50   #20
BHPian

Sorry for the trouble you went through with your new car. It's not a lemon vehicle in my view. I feel in 2021 most of the cars were made in a kind of hurry that's not restricted to Hyundai only. I have noticed plenty of other cars as well which have some or another technical or mechanical issue with in a day or two after the delivery.
Anyway it's your hard earned money which has made you buy this car so you should celebrate it and I must congratulate you on this new purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpran View Post
There was no call from customer care for a feedback after sales even receiving my regret mails. They take a feedback on “how the car was delivered”. They don’t bother to check “How is the car?” Hyundai India is cunningly careful not to acknowledge the manufacturing issues with the car. Hyundai’s twitter handle is very intolerant. They have taken my contact detail via DM but never called back. They block you immediately. I generally don’t bash people right away on social media. I don’t think they should have blocked me too soon. I only wanted to talk to somebody about the heartache I have with the car.I have gone to twitter to reach my banks and other manufacturers. I have always communicated politely and got my issues resolved. I have never got blocked by anyone in any of the SM platform.Why Hyundai’s twitter handle is very arrogant?
• Why the feedback mechanism treats a brand-new car with strange issue and a routine service same? How do they expect me to enjoy the service quality for the work done on a brand-new car with questionable reliability? They should also have offered me a loaner car during this period.
This is one field I appreciate Mahindra alot from my personal experience. Our Scorpio encountered an AC issue within a year of its ownership, which made them replace the whole AC unit. During the whole time when the car was under investigation, I was kept updated with all the work going in the car and how far they have. After the car was serviced and delivered I was provided with a free teflon coating and 3 free washes for the car as an apology from their side. And this happened in mid- 2015. Even till early 2016 every month they took my feedback about the performance of the car and if I'm satisfied with the product or not. This was all when I didn't even write an e-mail to their customer care, I just had the problem addressed to the regional manager.
I hope you have a trouble free experience with your Creta like your wife had with her Santro. Wish you alot of happy miles ahead.
vtecblast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:22   #21
BHPian

Hi Senpran,

First of all, really sorry to hear about your ordeal. I know the feeling. I am the owner of the other Creta DCT failure thread that GTO and other's mentioned.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5081299

Here are some pointers based on my own experience:

- Get the number of your HASS Hyundai AM. Connect with him/her and directly take up the issue if it recurs. They are usually helpful. As you live in Chennai (I used to be a resident of Anna Nagar), see if you can visit the Chengapettu plant and meet with their QC Manager/Customer service head?

-If you have been blocked by the @Hyundaiindia handles on Twitter, you can try raising this unethical behaviour with their Marketing and Digital Marketing honchos. Blocking a customer who is raising a genuine issue is no way to behave for a global brand. Do post this thread on Twitter and tag all Hyundai social media honchos. I am posting the link to my own Twitter post where I sought out and tagged their heads of digital marketing, marketing etc. Then repost the Twitter link on this thread so BHPians and well-wishers can retweet it for amplification.

https://twitter.com/iamitp/status/14...470013952?s=20

- Now that my car has come back (a few minutes earlier), make peace with the fact that what could have gone wrong has gone wrong and been fixed. Hopefully, this will be the last major issue you'll face with the Creta.

- Get the extended warranty, at least 5years/100K KM (and 5years/140K KM if your running is more). Should cost you 12,000 odd rupees or so but was recommended to me by the Hyundai AM. Don't wait till your current plan approaches expiry as I was told Hyundai often assesses your car and knocks off warranty components if you take it later than sooner time.

- Send me a PM if you'd like to join a DCT Creta Whatsapp group. I was added to it recently and the group was very helpful in guiding me.

Regards,

Amit
iamitp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 16:54   #22
BHPian

It appears to me that off late, Hyundai are selling entertainment units on wheels rather than a reliable transport machine. They seem to go all out on the gadgets and blingy gizmos but fail to get the basics right in terms of steering, transmission and other aspects related to pure driving. And they are not holding off on charging customers for a premium as well. Granted their interior fit and finish are on par with cars of 1-2 segments higher but what will a person do sitting in a plush interior, being able to charge their mobile wirelessly and connecting everything through Bluetooth, using their oh-so-cool touchscreen infotainment systems and listening to thunderous sounds on BOSE speakers - while not going anywhere!? We have (home) theatres for all this right?

A vehicle is supposed to be driven - reliably, consistently and safely. How hard is it to get the basics right?!
vsathyap is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 19:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1811 View Post
I meant, brake / clutch riding. That is, half depressing brake pedal for car to creep forward. I try to release it completely and not ride the car with half depressed brake.

Apologies for not being clear.
Sorry for OT! But Wait! How do you control the speed of creeping then? I do use the brake pedal to modulate how much faster/slower I want to creep.

The AMT in my car sometimes launches it faster than a Rimac if brake pedal is released completely Reversing is even faster!
RavSam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 21:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpran View Post

New Creta 1.4 GDI turbo DCT comes home, again, again and again!!!!! And I am not upset about it.

Greetings,
I wish to have half of the patience levels you have.
Seems like success is making Hyundai Blind.
They should be reminded of the saying "Little Drops of water makes a mighty ocean".
Customers make any brand successful.
Unfortunately the laws of the land are weak which are tipped towards the manufacturers and their might, rather than a poor soul who puts in his hard earned money after much deliberation and chose Hyundai brand over many others only because their previous Santro was trouble free.
This alone is sufficient enough to deliver the best ownership experience to a loyal customer.
Unfortunately you were given a Lemon or got a lemon.
What dismays me is the fact that, after all the trouble you went through, couldn't Hyundai send in their expert team or take back their LEMON for in-depth analysis, as the Hyundai head quarters is just a phone call away.
It's not that everyday they get a complaint like yours.
Shouldn't they be intrigued, have a zeal to sort it and learn from a scenario like yours.
It's a pity they aren't doing much and it's very appalling.
I pray that your car's woes are sorted soon and may you have a better ownership experience.
Stay Safe.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2022 at 21:26. Reason: broken quotes
matchvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 21:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
You are correct regarding Japanese reliability being the best but even some of their models like the first batch Etios I mentioned didn't qualify for being faultless.
On the flip side I don't know if we can classify Toyota India as a Japanese car manufacturer esp with the attitude they have in India, absolutely lazy is all I can say

Starting from the rant on no expansion due to taxes to the lack of innovation, it calls for a seperate thread, sorry for being out of topic. but probably is the bad attitude seeping down from the top.

Last edited by pandabear : 14th June 2021 at 21:33.
pandabear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Sorry for OT! But Wait! How do you control the speed of creeping then? I do use the brake pedal to modulate how much faster/slower I want to creep.
Now that you pointed it out, i realize how it has become so intuitive

What i try to do is basically release brake without a jerk and then release completely so i avoid any brake riding.

In order to avoid controlling the speed of creeping, i generally dont move the car to plug tiny gaps and only start moving it when sufficient gap has built up from the vehicle in front so i could release the brake completely. Ofcourse, not possible in all scenarios and that is when you do brake riding but i try to avoid as much as i can. It comes quite naturally now.
VS1811 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:06   #27
BHPian

As the fear has set in may i suggest selling of this car? Even if you keep it fear will always be there and not allow you peace of mind.

From personal experience manufacturers of any goods only go for replacement if cost of not doing is higher as they think on basis of money not customer experience.

Hence either take the fight to them by engaging in lots of social media activities or sell your car.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
It appears to me that off late, Hyundai are selling entertainment units on wheels rather than a reliable transport machine.

but what will a person do sitting in a plush interior, being able to charge their mobile wirelessly and connecting everything through Bluetooth, using their oh-so-cool touchscreen infotainment systems and listening to thunderous sounds on BOSE speakers - while not going anywhere!? We have (home) theaters for all this right?

A vehicle is supposed to be driven - reliably, consistently and safely. How hard is it to get the basics right?!
You said it so right! But look at the Indian customers, they want a gizmo first with a great menacing road presence and panoramic sun roof that also has wheels and can move!
All considerations about safety, engineering and reliability are way down on their list of priorities, they are not looking for a good reliable car that also has some gizmos..

I have read many posts on Team-BHP a place where more knowledgeable auto enthusiasts congregate - that they know full well that the car by brand X and Y has this and that reliability problem.. but despite that they do not regret the purchase because of the way the car looks, the sun roof and the premium interiors..

If subscribers to this site make such a statement then how can you blame the manufacturers for selling the car to the public that they want..
ssenhyd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:53   #29
BHPian

Hi, sorry to hear about this incident. I understand how hard this incident could be as i have experienced the same with my Harley Davidson.

Before I explain my situation let me tell you the key to getting these niggles sorted is a good relationship with service center , and if not satisfied escalate it to higher authorities on time. In your case, Hyundai is solely responsible for the ordeals. If it occurs repeatedly, only higher authorities can take corrective actions or alot a senior technician to your case.

My situation was similar. In late 2013 during the golden days of Harley-Davidson I had purchased a HD FatBoy paying around Rs.19 lakhs. Expecting the best out of their premium offering, what I experienced was multiple battery issues nearly weekly basis. With A.S.S being 100kms away, it was a pain to ride it there through traffic also fearing if battery issues croping up. This went on for over 2 months. Replaced 2 batteries in 4 weeks, on and off it would drain completely and weird issues kept cropping up. All of this on a brand new bike. Finally fed up of this told the Service center to return it back only when everything is rectified, they replaced the battery and entire starter unit.
They reported to me that the starter unit was burned was they are not aware how it happened. By this time dad and myself was fed up of this and we shelved all our plans of bike trips. Till now bike has done less than 8K kms on Odo, using it only for short distances and maintaining it only for the reason we spent huge bucks on it and couldnt sell it off on a loss.

Similarly my friend purchased a 7 series in 2015 with expectations of ultimate reliability and in 2 months his AC sensor had issues, then came CO2 sensor warnings. It was a nightmare for him.

Getting a solid car has depends on timing and alot of luck. Usually over few months manufacturers silently resolve usual issues in subsequent batches of production, still be it hyundai, VW or BMW there is always chances of these issues cropping up. Having a secondary vehicle is very important and I usually do not encourage anyone with decent running single car to exchange the existing one for the sole reason of reliability of a new car

What I learned from these experiences was , just like how we have good times with these wonderful machines there are few bad days too. Take it in as part of ownership experience. In the end peace of mind, stress-free life and a happy family is all that matters. Hope your issues are sorted soon, TBP community is brilliant to obtain any form of help.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:57   #30

Thank you all.
It is really reassuring to read all the replies. Thanks for your the time and effort spent on this. I still think it was some electronic issue got resolved by a 'trial and error' troubleshooting. I have not driven the car extensively after repair as I am still at work away from home. I should be taking the car for few trips in the coming weeks. I will update again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks