Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 21:29   #1
BHPian

VW Polo's air filter box assembled wrongly after service

Dear All
I am utterly anxious and starting this thread to share a disappointing event which happened today. I got the 6th month service done of my Polo 1.0TSI MT today. Initially I was satisfied with the service done and shared the same with photos on the Polo Tsi review's thread which can be viewed by the below link-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI47 View Post
Got the 6th month service done today. Bill was zero and following tasks were carried out-
1.General check up and liquid top up (Mostly coolant)

2.Got the suspension mount bearings changed as it was making some noise while turning the steering wheel, as per the mechanic the grease had dried up

3. Wheel Alignment as the car was running straight with slightly left biased steering position

Some Images for reference-
Attachment 2166893
Attachment 2166894
Culprit behind the steering noise

Attachment 2166895
Do I silently have an Audi
After the service I came back to office and while leaving in the evening when I started the car and it sounded unusual, I did deduce that something was not right. I opened the bonnet and to my horror noticed that the air intake pipe that is present at the end of the air box was not inserted into the intake pipe of the engine and was resting loosely over it

VW Polo's air filter box assembled wrongly after service-screenshot_20210612212354_gallery.jpg

I couldn't insert it and called VW's service centre manager to report the issue. He sent 2 persons in with a RSA vehicle and they came in an hour and fixed the pipe.
My area of concern is I drove the car from the service centre to my office which is approximately 6kms in that open intake condition as I had no idea it was in that state. I am worried that dust may have entered the engine and will it cause further issues? What should be my plan of action please suggest. Or should I just let it be like that?
TSI47 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 01:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo's air filter box assembled wrongly after service

Do not worry. Nothing will happen.
Volkswagen cars are generally sensitive. If anything goes wrong you will get a 'check engine light' warning. Unless you get it, do not bother. In case it comes up, you can get the MAF sensor cleaned.
Samba is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 08:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The distance traveled without airbox connected is small enough to ignore. You should really worry about the remaining work which they claim to have done. Clearly there was no QC or road test done before handing the vehicle back to you.
Kosfactor is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Do not worry. Nothing will happen.
Volkswagen cars are generally sensitive. If anything goes wrong you will get a 'check engine light' warning. Unless you get it, do not bother. In case it comes up, you can get the MAF sensor cleaned.
Thank you so much for suggestion. I hope I do not get the error. I seriously doubt the workmanship of the service center mechanics now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The distance traveled without airbox connected is small enough to ignore. You should really worry about the remaining work which they claim to have done. Clearly there was no QC or road test done before handing the vehicle back to you.
Thanks for your suggestion and I agree with you the distance traveled is not much. I don't think the service centre mechanics are trained enough to handle the new car technologies , why I am saying so is the Polo 1.0TSI comes with an air box which is very different from the last generation cars. The whole box needs to be removed from the engine to get the filter out and perhaps the mechanic has no idea to about it.
Ironically I told the mechanic to the work carefully and attach all removed things carefully as rainy season is coming to that he replied " Mere kaam me kabhi dikkat ni milegi aapko " - You'll not face any issue with my work
TSI47 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 15:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Airlifters are there for a reason and driving without them is not good for the engine and can be bad if the environment is dusty/sandy. On the next service do check the drained engine oil for any signs of excess dirt or dust. Like you said the newer Polos have a complex air filter mechanism. There is a thread on how a BHP-ian cleaned his new Polo air filter all by himself and you can check out the same at this link :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...r-service.html (DIY : VW Polo Engine Air Filter Service)

Last edited by TrackDay : 13th June 2021 at 15:10.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 15:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

That is as good as running without air filter. But the distance driven is small. whatever damage resulted would have been negligible. Whatever dust particles entered would have been trapped by the oil now. So don't lose any sleep over it.

I am old school, for this very reason I always do a few small checks when taking my car back from service. I do a visual inspection of the engine bay, check the oil level, wiper fluid, coolant level in radiator as well as reservoir, then open the air filter cover and ensure the element is in place.

If it was my bike, I will check air filter is installed properly, engine oil level, chain adjustment markers are perfectly aligned on both sides, clutch and throttle cable play and that the cotter pins are in place in both the wheels. Brakes we can always adjust ourselves if necessary.
Gansan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 16:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Airlifters are there for a reason and driving without them is not good for the engine and can be bad if the environment is dusty/sandy. [/url]
Exactly these people have no seriousness and make such blunder mistakes which can take a toll on whole health of the vehicle. Next time as you suggested I will check the oil for dust grains. I just hope no serious issue pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is as good as running without air filter. But the distance driven is small. whatever damage resulted would have been negligible. Whatever dust particles entered would have been trapped by the oil now. So don't lose any sleep over it.

I am old school, for this very reason I always do a few small checks when taking my car back from service. I do a visual inspection of the engine bay, check the oil level, wiper fluid, coolant level in radiator as well as reservoir, then open the air filter cover and ensure the element is in place.
Thats the thing without that connection it is similar to running the car without any air filter. I agree with you and that is one good habit to self inpect the vehicle after service. I cannot imagine the scenario if I had not checked it and kept driving which is what a regular person would do, that would just ruin the engine. I don't think a regular person would do such checks after service and these blunders would ultimately cause the owner to suffer.
TSI47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 16:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the service centre mechanics are trained enough to handle the new car technologies , why I am saying so is the Polo 1.0TSI comes with an air box which is very different from the last generation cars. The whole box needs to be removed from the engine to get the filter out and perhaps the mechanic has no idea to about it.
An air filter depending on usage is opened up only once in a few years , it is a recommend practise to remove the box, replace the air filter , clean the MAF and put everything back in place - for all make and model,true that often this is not done.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
...On the next service do check the drained engine oil for any signs of excess dirt or dust. ...
Quote:
...Next time as you suggested I will check the oil for dust grains. ..
I think TSI47 can relax! There wont be any dust or dust grains in the engine oil. Whatever dusty air is sucked in will be thrown out, because that's what the engine does.

Air Filter is there to prevent dust from scoring the cylinder walls reducing the life (compression) of the engine. Driving 6kms/10-15 mins without an air filter shouldn't cause much harm (However, need to be avoided).

Just make sure you change your fluids at/before the recommended interval and you should be good to go,
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 20:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I think TSI47 can relax.
Thank you so much ! My mind is calm now however it's really shocking to see the lack of knowledge of service mechanics. A regular person would suffer later on because of such mistakes.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:24   #11
BHPian

Don't think this should be that big of a problem. Modern cars can take a beating and VWs are no exception so please don't stress on this. Kudos to you for being mindful and being able to self-diagnose the problem before it could turn into anything major.

Should anything go wrong, do point it out to the SA and escalate the issue if needed. VW is known for its service and after-sale goof-ups by now and luckily in your case, it wasn't as major as some of the other forum stories.

Do keep us updated on the forum in the highly unlikely case that something does go wrong! Until then wishing you many happy miles ahead (with the air-filter installed rightly of course)!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 15:33   #12
BHPian

Re: VW Polo's air filter box assembled wrongly after service

Pls don’t bother nothing happens. The little dirt that went in was blown away with the combustion unless it was driven in the sands of the Sahara desert. It’s quite typical of vw and Honda service centre’s, sometimes even BMW service centres to leave an unfinished job and deliver the car. That’s why it’s always prudent to open the bonnet and check if everything is in its place just before picking up the car from service or just after it’s been dropped at your house.
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 21:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Do keep us updated on the forum in the highly unlikely case that something does go wrong! Until then wishing you many happy miles ahead (with the air-filter installed rightly of course)!
I would definitely share updates timely and hope I get to share only good updates. Thank you for your wishes , just completed 5000kms- 4994 with filter and 6 without it
VW Polo's air filter box assembled wrongly after service-20210612_190006.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapadia View Post
That’s why it’s always prudent to open the bonnet and check if everything is in its place just before picking up the car from service or just after it’s been dropped at your house.
True , I generally check things but had not imagined such a fault can happen. They have raised my ability of tracking goof ups
TSI47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 23:25   #14

Hey TSI47 - for the benefit of fellow VW owners in Delhi/NCR, could you let us know which ASC this was?

Really agree with your point on the severe consequences of this kind of a goof-up, if went unchecked - so thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be checking this and other similar items suggested above after receiving my car from the ASC next time.
akshathmithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 12:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshathmithal View Post
Hey TSI47 - for the benefit of fellow VW owners in Delhi/NCR, could you let us know which ASC this was?
Hi
As suggested by fellow members above that its not an issue to think and be worried so I have stopped thinking about it. I think it'll not be wise presently to include the name of ASC though they might have already read the post considering the reach of Team BHP. Also every ASC is capable of such goof ups so we as owners should be proactive to understand things ourselves , this I have learnt by this event.
TSI47 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks