Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 12:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
They wanted to take my car in for 4-5 days for VW team to drive it, but i refused it for now due to uncertain times.
When time and situation permits, that will be the only best way to resolve this. After trials, they will come to the conclusion to replace the gearbox. Same thing happened with me with the DQ200, a grinding noise when odd gears were selected, but unfortunately I did not have any power-loss so they told me to keep driving. But I was persistent and got them to call the Skoda team to the dealership, who then decided that this warrants for a gearbox replacement. At the time my car was about a year old, so same stories as to "sir this is the first time we are seeing this issue in a TSI DSG", or "sir your car is the highest run TSI DSG in the country" were common talk in Skoda.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th April 2021 at 17:50. Reason: As requested.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 16:33   #17
BHPian

Update:
Again my Tiguan was showing same behaviour as mentioned before after driving it fairly long distance. This time, i took the car straight to Indian Oil bunk and filled it with 100 octane petrol as recently launched 95 octane wasn’t available.
As soon as i fired up the car after filling, engine knock completely went away, the gearbox was shifting precisely at it shift points with no delay whatsoever and no more sluggish acceleration.

This whole ordeal means that 2.0 TSI requires minimum of 95 octane rated fuel to perform as it’s expected to.

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 27th May 2021 at 16:46.
Dhruv29 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 17:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
This whole ordeal means that 2.0 TSI requires minimum of 95 octane rated fuel to perform as it’s expected to.
Prior to this, were you refuelling at the same place all the time or from different places?

--Kalyan
Old 27th May 2021, 17:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am very surprised by this.I run my car on ordinary Petrol, and have not faced any issues so far. Hope it does not surface once I have run more - still at below 1000 km given the lockdowns in Bombay that came just after I took delivery.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
Good to see that the problem has disappeared but it may be too early to generalize. Did you check your suspension for dirt accumulation?
mustangvins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Prior to this, were you refuelling at the same place all the time or from different places?

--Kalyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Am very surprised by this.I run my car on ordinary Petrol, and have not faced any issues so far. Hope it does not surface once I have run more - still at below 1000 km given the lockdowns in Bombay that came just after I took delivery.
I keep on shifting petrol bunk depending upon which direction I'm headed. But every one of them is a COCO BP/HP/Indian Oil petrol pump which I use to fill my other cars as well since past 4-5 years.
The points which makes me believe that this problem is due to low octane fuel are:
1. RON 95 is minimum requirement needed for this engine. And till now I've only been filling normal unleaded which I think is 87 octane.
2. Every time this issue occurs I always gets noise from engine drive belt area as if timing chain tensioner is loose, along with power loss. No noise from the gearbox side. I feel that engine was changing its timing to accommodate premature combustion due to lower octane fuel.
3. I also can't blame it on simple start/stop reset because I had stopped in my office for 30-40min before heading for fill up, but even after that it accelerated sluggishly with engine knock if I depressed throttle more than 20%.
4. Through my videos posted on Youtube, I was reached by other people in comments section who are not part of Team-BHP with exact same issue and members here as well. No error-codes etc.
5. I think that being a CBU product, VW being VW didn't modify ECU according to fuel available in India. I could not find any post/threads with this 2.0 TSI Engine/gearbox combo in International VW forums which I could co-relate.
6. Definitely there also a change in Engine tone, now it's more deeper growl. Throttle is more responsive, engine is more eager to accelerate when compared to normal fuel. I stressed tested the car as well for 10-15km. Repeating same pattern which would easily result in Engine knock/powerloss. The car performed perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
Good to see that the problem has disappeared but it may be too early to generalize. Did you check your suspension for dirt accumulation?
Yes, it might be too soon to generalise for every case which has happened. I'll keep an close eye on car now with more long distance trip coming up. Maybe I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, I don't think there is any fault code which specifies fault due to Engine ping/Low Octane fuel.
Right now there is normal dirt accumulation which is expected, but I pressure wash dirt off every 15 days or so.

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 27th May 2021 at 19:30.
Dhruv29 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 06:27   #22

Regular fuel in India is rated at 91 Octane. The VW engines are great at preventing knocking when the Octane rating is not met. I’ve driven many VWs in the US with the same engine on 89 and 91 and never noticed knocking or other things from the engine.
azhagan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 18:17   #23
BHPian

Unfortunately my theory was short lived as the knock appeared again. After driving the sedately car for 30km continuously engine felt sluggish, and when pressing accelerator to gain speed, the power came in steps and then engine knocked. The car didn't bothered to shift down even after depressing pedal halfway (in 4th, 5th and 6th gear) and then the same dreaded engine knock. I also felt some relay clicks below steering column as well.
The gearbox too is noisy as hell constantly rattling at slow speeds, faint metal clunks in low speed gear shifts etc.

I will now continuously be after VW till i find a solution for this thing. Because if I can't take my car out for a 30km highway drive what good is this car to me?
Dhruv29 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 11:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately my theory was short lived as the knock appeared again. After driving the sedately car for 30km continuously engine felt sluggish, and when pressing accelerator to gain speed, the power came in steps and then engine knocked. The car didn't bothered to shift down even after depressing pedal halfway (in 4th, 5th and 6th gear) and then the same dreaded engine knock. I also felt some relay clicks below steering column as well.
The gearbox too is noisy as hell constantly rattling at slow speeds, faint metal clunks in low speed gear shifts etc.

I will now continuously be after VW till i find a solution for this thing. Because if I can't take my car out for a 30km highway drive what good is this car to me?
Did you check if the transmission oil is underfilled? For gearbox lag/mis-shifts in DQ381, this was mentioned as one of the common reasons and this was posted in one of our local groups. A full transmission oil change is recommended in such cases apparently and not just a top up. Not sure if this will fix your issue, but worth a try.
mustangvins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 19:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
Did you check if the transmission oil is underfilled? For gearbox lag/mis-shifts in DQ381, this was mentioned as one of the common reasons and this was posted in one of our local groups. A full transmission oil change is recommended in such cases apparently and not just a top up. Not sure if this will fix your issue, but worth a try.
Update:
After last incident, I gave the car to VW after again making knock appear in front of them. They had my car for 5 days where they were in constant contact with "Flying Doctors from VW" as well as VW head office. They tried to apply updates as well. Then my car was shifted from Gurugram to Delhi where there were engineers present.
There, they opened Mechatronics unit and found it in good condition and they applied reset procedure of it. They drove the car 150km after that and I drove it 50km post fix following same pattern which would result in knocks. I took the car back with me but the job card is open, where they stated if problem repeats within 10 days observation period they will replace the gearbox.
But I'm not happy with whatever updates they did. The gearbox behaved good when I picked my car but the next day I observed that
- The gearbox is noisy, it rattles in bumps when no accelerator input is given (was present before also but it has now increased).
- It sometimes makes clunky noise when shifting 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd downshift.
- Jerky power delivery etc.

It's a gearbox of a premium car costing 40 Lacs ! Not a low budget AMT gearbox that these sort of behaviour is acceptable. Probably those gearbox would be more silent than this rattle can.

I'll again take my car to S.C tomorrow and demand gearbox replacement straight away.
Dhruv29 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 12:38   #26
Team-BHP Support

re: Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 09:02   #27
BHPian

re: Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

These issues are very frustrating, having spent so much to purchase this car and then to have issues from early on into the ownership. So the 3 videos which you’ve posted were about suspension noise or gearbox rattle? Also, is there always a power loss when the sound comes? And, do you just ‘hear’ the gearbox rattle? Or can you ‘feel’ it in the floor?
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 09:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

VW techs probably knows what the problem is and they either do not have a spare or the issue you are facing is not a problem big enough for them to approve a replacement. See you are driving the car into their place and not in a flatbed which is expected when whatever is rattling eventually fails - DMF maybe?
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 09:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- The gearbox is noisy, it rattles in bumps when no accelerator input is given (was present before also but it has now increased).

I'll again take my car to S.C tomorrow and demand gearbox replacement straight away.
Can this be attributed to anything relating to the mountings? I am not able to make why will gearbox noise will be any different in bumps?

Have you driven any other similar car? Can you check another and try to find if it’s any different.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 09:54   #30
BHPian

Now this put VAG cars with the same engine gearbox combo at risk. The Tiguan AllSpace, Octavia and the to be introduced Kodiaq could be potentially headed towards an ignore rating by prospective buyers. VAG does not learn..
roadrunner_nv is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks