Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 22:52   #1
BHPian

Frustrated with VW's inability to fix my Tiguan Allspace DSG. EDIT: 2nd DSG failure (page 4)

Odometer Reading: 9150
I had to travel outstation to attend some family function. After travelling approximately 110km, suddenly the car made 3-4 quick knock noise from right side of engine compartment. I ignored it thinking that it was probably noise from passing traffic.
After a few minutes again, when accelerating from 5th gear in D mode at around 1300 RPM, same knock/rattle noise occurred in quick succession as if there is some slack in timing chain or engine is lugging.
The engine would cut power for 1 second then again would be back online.
It’s as if traction control was cutting power. The knock sound emanated from right side of engine bay whereas DSG box is on the left side.
In return journey, same issue occurred intermittently, whenever i tried to apply power to overtake and the engine would get in turbo range and then it would knock and power would cut.
Acceleration would be sluggish and jerky from 5th gear onwards with knock/cut episodes. Then it started to happen with 3/4/5/6th gear, the car would not want to put down power in turbo range.
It’ll steadily rise to cruising speed but would cut when turbo is making more boost while accelerating.
I then had to baby the car back home at a steady 50-60kmph without any overtaking manoeuvre.
Mid way back, i had to stop for 30 min. After the break, the car behaved completely normally.
There are no warning on instrument cluster whatsoever, and vehicle status shows green tick.
Things to note:
- From first day onwards, the car would make metallic rattle noise when coasting through bumps without any throttle input from gearbox side. I showed it to A.S.S, it was deemed as normal DSG noise.
- Today, after the fiasco the same noise has increased. Now it comes even with light throttle input in 1-2 gear in bumps. Which wasn’t the case before. As if something is loose inside gearbox and when more throttle is applied it goes away.
- Gearshifts are now felt more noticeable.
Dhruv29 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 10:52   #2
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
- Today, after the fiasco the same noise has increased. Now it comes even with light throttle input in 1-2 gear in bumps. Which wasn’t the case before. As if something is loose inside gearbox and when more throttle is applied it goes away.
Dhruv

Have you taken the car to the ASS or are you planning to? Do keep us posted.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Update:
As I suspected what was gonna happen did happen. When I took my car to ASS, it drove perfectly fine and scan tool showed no error whatsoever. I was told to keep on "testing" the car if that fault starts to appear regularly.
I reluctantly accepted because the service centre guys didn't have a clue what is wrong with the vehicle and it showed no errors as well.
But as I started my return journey God Almighty listened to my prayers and the issue did reoccur.
I zoomed back to ASS, and again took their senior technician for a long ride.
The sound definitely came back with all the symptoms I experienced the day before. I also did manage to take video of exact sequence.

I had to leave the car because ASS will inform to VW for such a premature failure . And, they'll probably take their own sweet time to diagnose and replace affected part/gearbox/engine. But as you can tell from the sound, it is infact something related to drivetrain.
In hindsight, should've just bought a Fortuner instead?

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 12th April 2021 at 16:02.
Dhruv29 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a gearbox rattle. Mostly it will call for a complete gearbox replacement. Earlier the gearbox came with a new multi clutch, flywheel and mechatronic unit pre-installed on it. Don't know what is the protocol now, simply pressurise them to call for a technician from the factory, and they will not mess about with unnecessary trial and error philosophy. This is very important.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 20:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Definitely a gearbox rattle. Mostly it will call for a complete gearbox replacement. Earlier the gearbox came with a new multi clutch, flywheel and mechatronic unit pre-installed on it. Don't know what is the protocol now, simply pressurise them to call for a technician from the factory, and they will not mess about with unnecessary trial and error philosophy. This is very important.
I’ll try to pressurise them. But the noise comes from the opposite side of the gearbox from engine belt/timing chain area.
Also, It’s not like the noise comes during gear changes, It also comes when engine pulls in gear.
Dhruv29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 22:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I’ll try to pressurise them. But the noise comes from the opposite side of the gearbox from engine belt/timing chain area.
Also, It’s not like the noise comes during gear changes, It also comes when engine pulls in gear.
Hi Dhruv,

I faced the exact same issue while returning from a long trip a week back. I haven’t been able to reproduce it since. Do update on the findings by the dealer and keep us posted.
nirvanaguy19 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:50   #7
BHPian

Update:
I took the car back from VW after DSG was recalibrated and software was updated. The noise was still present under acceleration but was less frequent than before.
The guys at ASS don’t have any clue because there is no fault code store in car and it is a first case where this type of thing is happening, atleast in India.
I wanted to take the car back due to uncertainty of Lockdown, as being in healthcare I couldn’t afford to give up my car.
Dhruv29 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:07   #8
BHPian

This problem is more common than I thought. One more person from India has reported the same issue in comments section of my Youtube video. Even his car didn't have any fault code. I think this problem will be reported more frequently as other owners drive their vehicle more over period of time.
VW needs to step up and sort this major problem for their "Flagship" vehicle in India. It's not even like they are selling loads of premium vehicles in India and this will impact them.

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 15th April 2021 at 13:11.
Dhruv29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
VW needs to step up and sort this major problem for their "Flagship" vehicle in India. It's not even like they are selling loads of premium vehicles in India and this will impact them.
True, within 6-9 months of the sale of this car, we've seen at least two pre-mature AC failures. Now this gearbox issue in 2-3 cars(another TBHPian) also mentioned he faced the same on this car. And not to mention the SOS warning that crops up every now and then.

One of the thoughts while buying this car was that, although they had a limited no of cars for India, it's a highly sold car in Europe and has been on sale for quite many years and hence may be relatively trouble-free. Clearly, VW has not done a good job of educating the service center's on proper PDI and training them on diagnosing/ resolving issues with the car.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 11:20   #10

I had noticed similar sound while getting out of the parking lot. I stopped to check what is wrong and after that that sound never came back. Since this issue has been reported by few we may have to approach VW directly and appraise them about this issue. I hope VW will take it seriously and diagnose it.

Quote:
Update:
As I suspected what was gonna happen did happen. When I took my car to ASS, it drove perfectly fine and scan tool showed no error whatsoever. I was told to keep on "testing" the car if that fault starts to appear regularly.
I reluctantly accepted because the service centre guys didn't have a clue what is wrong with the vehicle and it showed no errors as well.
But as I started my return journey God Almighty listened to my prayers and the issue did reoccur.
I zoomed back to ASS, and again took their senior technician for a long ride.
The sound definitely came back with all the symptoms I experienced the day before. I also did manage to take video of exact sequence.

1. https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jDPgudajEy0
2. https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7ZxJDTNY4
3. https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=PW2Uynw-d2Y

I had to leave the car because ASS will inform to VW for such a premature failure . And, they'll probably take their own sweet time to diagnose and replace affected part/gearbox/engine. But as you can tell from the sound, it is infact something related to drivetrain.
In hindsight, should've just bought a Fortuner instead?
sitaramnaik13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 13:21   #11
BHPian

Update 9867km:
I’m experiencing suspension knocking from vehicle which is clearly heard and felt in footwell area. It feels like steering rack rattle or bad sway bar links. I’ll get my car checked at ASS tomorrow and update findings.
The things which we are experiencing clearly shows that this car is not meant for Indian driving conditions.
Dhruv29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 15:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Update 9867km:
I’m experiencing suspension knocking from vehicle which is clearly heard and felt in footwell area. It feels like steering rack rattle or bad sway bar links. I’ll get my car checked at ASS tomorrow and update findings.
Took the car to ASS, after diagnosis it turned out to be loose steering end bolts.
Probably it was not tightened properly during alignment of vehicle.
Dhruv29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 17:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

So both the sounds are different? Gearbox noise and suspension noise? Any update on the first issue?
Old 26th April 2021, 21:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Update 9867km:
The things which we are experiencing clearly shows that this car is not meant for Indian driving conditions.
Had a similar issue in Rapid, Apparently found in more VW vehicles, if more dust/particles are accumulated in the suspension area, The sound emerges.
gasinveins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 01:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
So both the sounds are different? Gearbox noise and suspension noise? Any update on the first issue?
Yes both sounds were different. The first one is related to gearbox behaviour as well as power loss during noise.
Second one was related to tie rod which is now solved.
As of now, No update. The service manager said that VW team is working on it and gathering information from more cases which has been reported, so that they can find a suitable solution.
They wanted to take my car in for 4-5 days for VW team to drive it, but i refused it for now due to uncertain times.
Dhruv29 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks